Eight

Joel's Point of View
"Who is your friend?" Ramirez asked Savannah.
"Joel." I answered for her.
"Okay, Joel. Welcome to the art club, have you taken an art class before?" He asked.
"Yes, I am in art two with Mr. Miller."
"Who did you have for art one?"
"Mrs. Miller."
He nodded and then announced to everyone, "We're going to paint signed for Friday's football game. We're playing against Donna, so think of catchy phrases. Remember that these signs are going up around the school."
As time passed, we were painting a sign that had our usual catch phrase, "East Side, Strong Side." I stood beside Savannah, and we were both painting the letters in black. I glanced at her every once in a while, and took notice that Scott was in the club as well but painting with a bunch of girls around him.
"Is this what the club mostly does?" I asked.
"During football season, yes. In Halloween, we hang artwork from his classes and let students see. We have competition for vase later on in the year, just stuff like that." Savannah answered.
"Are you going to stay here until the club meeting ends?"
"Maybe, not sure yet. I like painting, it helps relieve stress."
"What problems are you having nowadays?"
"None that you can help with." She looked at me, and then walked to my right to paint the next letter.
"Are you sure about that?"
She didn't say anything, and I apologized for asking. She shrugged it off and we didn't talk for a while. I began to understand what she meant when she said that painting helped relieve stress. As I was painting, I was thinking of everything, but the problems didn't seem so big as I always thought they were.
"Do you like anybody?" I blurted.
Her eyebrows furrowed, "If I didn't, then I wouldn't have any friends."
"I don't mean friends."
"You mean if I have a crush on anyone?" She asked, and I nodded. "It's hard to say."
"Either you like a guy or not." I replied.
"Yes." She replied after a few seconds. "Are you crushing in anyone?"
"Yeah."
"What's she like?"
"She is great. She's a great person. Always smiling, helping out her friends. She's adorable." I replied, looking at her.
"She does sound great." She replied, half smiling.
"What is your guy like?"
She was about to answer, until somebody interrupted her asking if she wanted him to trace the black letters in purple. She nodded yes, and I cussed under my breath. Someone was always interrupting from me getting my answers to my questions. We finished painting, and I hadn't had a chance to ask Savannah the question again because people were rustling about and leaving. It was almost five, so we all cleaned up and left the posters in the tables to dry.
"Bye, sir." Savannah and her two friends, Yulissa and Gabby waved.
"Bye, have a good weekend." He replied.
We marched out of the class, which was located in the bus area. We walked to our right and the girls were talking about homework until we reached the pick up area. I took notice that Crystal wasn't with Jorge.
"I'm going to be here." Savannah noted, pointing to the group of girls on a bench that included Crystal.
I nodded and continued walking straight until I reached Jorge.
"Why aren't you two talking?" I asked.
"She wanted to talk to her friends." He answered.
I looked back at them, and Savannah looked up and smiled. I smiled back, and then looked at Crystal who staring at Jorge.
"She's staring at you, bro." I whispered.
Jorge turned to look at Crystal, and they made eye contact for a few seconds.
"Go talk to her."
"I will, when her friends leave. Why aren't you with Savannah?" He questioned.
"Same reason as Crystal."
He nodded, understanding. "What time are they picking us up?"
"At 6, which reminds me, I need to tell them we're dropping you off."
I texted my dad and he replied with ok. It was around 5:46 that we started talking to the girls again. All of our friends and theirs had left.
"Feeling better?" I heard Jorge ask Crystal.
She nodded, "A lot better now."
He smirked, and Savannah and I decided to give them space and sit on a different bench."what time are you leaving?" I asked.
"Trying to get rid of me?" She laughed through shivers of the cold.
"No, I would never." I replied. "Want to cuddle?"
She bit her bottom lip while looking me in the eyes. She scooted closer to me and I got my answer. I wrapped my arms around her as she laid her head on my chest. We were there for a while, and I felt her body temperature get warm.
"So what is the name of the girl that you like?" She asked. My heart started beating fast, and she heard it. She sat up, "What's wrong? Is it someone I know?" I tried not to look her in the eye, otherwise I would have blushed. "Oh my gosh. I know whom you like!" She half shouted. "You like my friend Daisy. I saw the way you were eyeing her. I can totally make that work out for the both of you."
"No." I stated.
She looked at me, a bit confused. "No, what?"
"No, thanks." I joked.
"Seriously," she laughed. "You don't like her?"
I stared at her, and then shook my head.
"Who is it then?" She asked.
I shook my head, "I don't want to tell you. I think she likes someone else already."
"But that's besides the point." She replied. "You say she's a great person, so she must mean something to you."
"She means a lot to me."
"Exactly. If she means a lot to you, then why don't you make a move? It's now or never, right?"
"A friend of mine warned me that it was maybe too soon to tell her."
"Your friend can go suck it. Just tell the girl."
I laughed, "Alright then. Go tell Jorge he has to suck it."
She gasped, "He's the friend that told you?"
I nodded, "So what exactly is he going to suck?"
"Well now that I know it's him, he can go and suck Crystal's face." She retorted.
"You're funny, you know." I chuckled.
"Stop stalling." She responded. "Now, tell me who the girl is and maybe I can hook you two up."
I inhaled and then exhaled. "I like-"
I was cut off by Jorge who shouted, "Is that you're dad?"
We both turned to face Jorge, and he was pointing to a white truck pulling in.
"Yeah." I shouted back and stood up.
"Wait, aren't you going to tell me?" Savannah asked.
"It's too soon to tell you." I replied, and hugged her goodbye.
Jorge and I were making our way towards the car, until I stopped in my tracks because I noticed a familiar jeep. Stepping out of that jeep was none other than Esai. I watched as he strolled to Savannah and they hugged. She had a huge grin on her face and he sat where I was a few moments ago.
"Joel!" my dad shouted. "Get in the truck."
I got in and we both sat in the back seat. Jorge started talking about the concert, and I didn't mind because I didn't want to replay the image of Savannah smiling for another guy. I asked my dad right then and there if I could go since he was sober. He gave me permission and then Jorge and I started talking about the other bands that were going to play. He had searched the bands and liked some of their music.
"They're going to do multiple mosh pits." Jorge replied, showing me some of the tweets on twitter.
"I'm not going to be anywhere near that." I replied.
"We're here." My dad announced, parked outside of Jorge's house.
Jorge grabbed his things, said goodbye and thanked my dad for the ride. As we pulled off, my dad was asking why Jorge had his hair so long, and I just laughed not knowing what to say. We arrived home ten minutes later, and before getting off the car, my dad reached towards the passenger's seat floor. He grabbed a bag that contained a sick pack of beer. I stared blankly and got off of the car, making my way inside.
"We're home." My dad announced.
"Food is ready." My mom replied.
I walked into the kitchen and saw that it was the same food from the night before.
"Mom, this is leftovers from yesterday. You were supposed to throw it out." I noted.
Suddenly, there was a smack on the back of my head.
"Respect your mother!" My dad stated, chugging his first beer. "Are you going to eat the food or not?"
"No." I walked away.
As usual, they would eat and be quiet for a little while. Then my dad started talking nonstop, causing my mom to get annoyed. They started yelling at one another, until a dish was broken. Dad walked outside, pissed off, and mom cleaned up the mess. They went back to their bedroom, tv on and dad running off his mouth. I walked towards the kitchen, and made myself some macaroni.
"Why didn't you eat when I made food?" Mom asked.
"I wasn't hungry for that." I answered.
I grabbed a spoon and started eating, glancing at her. Her eyes were pink from crying and there was a bruise on her arm.
"How was school?" She asked, taking a seat next to me on the kitchen table.
"School was school."
"Passing your classes?"
I nodded, not really in the mood to talk.
"Baby," she placed her hand on my shoulder. "I know times are rough right now, but your dad is living with us again because we need help in paying the bills. It's better than being out on the streets in this weather."
I stood up and threw my plate away, placing the spoon in the sink.
"It's okay, mom. I understand."
I walked away and went to my room. I checked my phone and had a few notifications from kik. Cindy, Alexandra, and others had messaged me. Ignoring them, I turned on my music and drifted to sleep.