Thirty-Nine

Savannah's P.O.V.

The song finished and I was breathing hard.

Haven't danced this much in a long time.

I turned around and walked towards the ice chest, and grabbed three drinks. One for me, Daisy, and Yulissa. Crystal was somewhere inside with Jorge. We walked towards the outside sofa where the other girls rested.
"So a little birdy told me who you like." I told Gabby.
Her eyes widened, "What? Who? I don't like anybody."
"He's here." I replied.
"Where?" She freaked.
"I thought you didn't like anyone." Yulissa scoffed.
"Oh." Gabby sat back down. "I mean, what?"
"Have you talked to him before?" I asked.
"Wait a minute, who do you like?" Karen asked.
"The new guy in our history class..." Gabby confessed.
"Jesus?" Daisy asked in disbelief.
"Yeah."
"You should definitely talk to him!" Yulissa said and then looked around and stopped at the table full of Jorge's and Joel's friends. "Isn't that him?"
"Where?" Gabby asked and we all turned around.
"His hair is in a bun. He's standing next to Yulissa's boyfriend." I answered.
"Are you gonna go?" Julia asked.
"No. He's with all of his friends."
I glanced at Yulissa who took out her friend. I looked back at the guys and Kevin suddenly took out his phone.
I mouthed to Yulissa: you texted him? She nodded while smiling.
Within a minute, Kevin was walking our way with Jesus.
"Let's leave." I whispered, and Gabby was too stunned to realize what I had said. By the time it hit her, we were on the other side of the cement.

Where's Joel?

I looked around and spotted him.

Is that... Esai?

I walked towards them afraid something bad would happen.
"Hey, what's going on here?" I asked.
"My sister here was just telling me about her date." Joel said, gritting his teeth. I grabbed his arm and could tell he was angry. "Did you know about this?"
"No, Esai never got to tell me." I replied, looking at Esai and Leslie. I cleared my throat. "How are you, Leslie?"
"Good." She smiled and then sipped her drink.
I nodded. "Babe, can I talk to you? Alone." I tugged his arm, and then practically dragged him.
"I am so fucking tired of this guy." Joel blurted.
I blinked, not knowing what to say.
"It's like he's deliberately trying to ruin my life and get with everyone I know." Joel continued. "You need to kick him out of your house."
"Wait, what?" I asked, still thinking about the fact that Esai went on a date with Leslie.

How did they even meet?

"Isn't it time he left your house by now?" Joel shouted, making the people walk by us stare. "What are you looking at?" He hissed.
"Hey!" I exclaimed. "Calm down. Why are you being like this?"
He ignored me and continued drinking his bottle.
"How many have you had?" I asked.
"Only 6 or 7."
"Seven?" I freaked. "That's enough." I pulled the drink from his grasp.
"What are you doing?" He asked angrily. "Give me the bottle."
"You're drunk, Esa- Joel." My eyes widened.
"What did you just say?"
"It was an accident." I glanced down.
"No, no it wasn't." He walked back.
I walked towards him, trying to grab his hand, but he pushed me away, and I stepped on a bug rock, causing me to fall back.
"Hey, hey!" A voice shouted, and suddenly someone was helping me up.
"Are you okay?" She asked.
I dusted myself off, and saw that it was Crystal.
"I'm fine." I replied. "I just tripped."
Jorge was now talking to Joel, but I couldn't hear a thing they were saying.
"What happened?" Crystal asked.
"Its just all a miss understanding. He's just drunk." I mumbled.
"Care to elaborate?"
I shook my head, turning around, looking at some of the people who were leaving.
"Is that Yulissa's ex boyfriend?" Crystal pointed to someone walking in.
I squinted, trying to focus on the person.
"Who invited him?" I yelled, walking towards him.

That asshole has done enough to Yulissa.

"Hey, you need to leave!" I stood before Julio.
"I just need to-"
"No, you're going to leave and not look back." I shouted.
"Hey, man. Whoever you are, this is my party and as far as I'm concerned, you weren't invited." Jorge intervened.
"And a scrawny little guy like you is going to stop me?" Julio smirked.
He reeked of alcohol, and I turned around. Kevin started walking this way, and I had recalled what happened the last time between them.
"Leave, Julio!" I yelled.
"Back off, you little bitch." He snarled at me.
"What the fuck did you just say?" Joel pushed him.
"You heard me. You and your little whore go leave. This isn't your business." Julio replied.
Suddenly, Joel punched him, and Julio fell to the ground. Before Joel could start punching him again, Jorge pushed him back.
"Leave, now." Crystal declared at Julio, who stood up and walked away.
I turned around, "Babe-"
"Don't." Joel walked inside.
Kevin was about to walk towards Julio, but then followed behind Jorge and Joel.
"Seems like more than just a misunderstanding." Crystal whispered.
"I just need to give him some time, then I'll talk to him."
We walked towards the ice chest and I grabbed a water.
"Savannah?"
I turned around. "Yes?"
"I'm heading home, but I forgot my house key. Can I borrow yours?" Esai asked.
"Can you just wait about ten minutes? I was dropped off, so I don't have my car."
"Yeah, sure. I'll be at my car." He replied.
I made my way inside the house and found Jorge and Joel in the kitchen. Joel had a bag of ice on his hand.
"Are you alright?" I whispered.
They both looked at me.
"I'll give you two some privacy." Jorge murmured and walked away.
"Can we talk?" I asked, still standing about four feet away from him. He nodded his head.
"I didn't mean to call you by his name. It just slipped out, I'm not even sure why. I honestly had no idea he was going on a date with your half sister." I continued. "Can you please look at me?" I walked up to him. There was only about three inches between us.
Joel slowly looked at me.
"Its only you on my mind." I whispered.
He didn't say anything. He put the bag of ice down and pulled me towards him into a hug. I wrapped my hands around him.
"I love you." He kissed my forehead.
My hands moved to around his neck and we moved closer to each other, kissing.
"I love you, too." I replied in between kisses.
I then pulled away. "I'm heading him already. I'm tired. Do you want to come with?"
"How are you getting a ride?" He asked.
I made a face and he knew I meant from Esai.
He stepped away from the counter and grabbed my hand pulling me along with him.
"Let's go to your house." He spoke.
~
I opened the door to my room. Esai walked past and whispered to me, "Remember your mom's rules. Nothing illegal and no sex."
I shook my head, smiling.
"Shut up." I whispered.
Joel finally came back from the living room, bringing along with him the movie Shark Tale. He closed the door behind him. By then I had changed into my blue muscle shirt and blue and red plaided pajama pants. He turned the TV on as well as the DVD and the movie began with the previews.
"You know, this is the first time we're alone. None of our friends here." Joel sat next to me.
"Yeah, that's true..." I replied. "It feels a bit weird, yet nice."
As the movie played, we changed positions from sitting Indian style to me laying down on his chest.
I was slowly falling asleep, until I felt his hand rest on my stomach. It woke me up, so I began watching the movie again.
His hand then started slowly moving upward, and I looked at it.
I then quickly sat up.
"Whoa, what do you thinking you're doing?" I asked.
He laughed, and move his curly hair out of his face with the same hand.
"I was thinking we could just, you know." He smiled.
"Well.. Well a-" I was at a loss of words.
Mom's words ran through my head: no sex.
"Have you ever even done anything?" I asked.
He shook his head. "You?"
"No..." I answered.
"Do you want to you?" He asked awkwardly.
"I don't think you ask someone before you're about to do it." I laughed.
"So we are?" He asked.
"Umm." I smiled.
"If you want me to stop, just say so." He leaned in, pulling me into a kiss.