Thirty

Crystal's P.O.V.

"Are you okay?" Jorge whispered.
I couldn't bear to look up, and a tear fell down my face.
Savannah and Joel walked up.
"Hey, I saw Cindy come up. Heard people laughing. What happened?" Savannah asked, placing the slushies on the table.
"Cindy-" Jorge began but I stopped him.
"It was nothing." I wiped my tears away and looked up, grabbing my slushie.
Savannah's eyebrows furrowed. "Clearly something happened. Now either you tell me, or I'll force Jorge to." She pointed at him and he looked a bit scared.
"Cindy brought up some old embarrassing story." I replied, then sipped on my slushie.
"What story?" Savannah asked.
"The apple pie..." I whispered after a couple of seconds.
Savannah took a step back and breathed, "That bitch."
"Don't do anything." I stated.
"What? How do you expect me to just stay here and let her have her victory?" Savannah asked in disbelief. "You know she's scared of me!"
"Because I can fight my own battles. I don't need you or anyone else trying to help." I shouted. Frustrated with Cindy and with Savannah always trying to help.
She said fine, grabbed her things, and walked away.
"I'm going to calm her down." Joel said, grabbing his things and walking after her.
Jorge nodded and it was quiet.
"What did she whisper to you?" Jorge asked.
"Savannah didn't whisper anything to me." I answered .
"Not her. Cindy."
"Nothing."
"She obviously said something. You turned white like a ghost." He exclaimed.
"Can you let me handle my own business?" I growled.
"Your business is my business." He replied. "Otherwise, why would we be considered a couple when we could be perfect strangers."
I thought about what Cindy had whispered to me.
"Maybe we'd be better off as perfect strangers." I whispered, looking away.
"What?" He asked.
I swallowed my words, but they came back up. "I said maybe we should be perfect strangers."
"Are you ending this, just because of the story Cindy said? I could care less about that. Lots of embarrassing things happen, and there will always be people envious of you. You just have to ignore them." He replied.
"I'm not asking for advice or any of that sort. I'm saying we're done."
"Give me a reason why and it better not be because of her." His nostrils flared, he was clearly angry.

I'm sorry, Jorge...

I could feel my heart break, as I worked up the courage to say this...

"I've never liked you. That's why. I just needed someone to cater to my needs. You're nothing to me."
He was taken aback. He continued to blink his eyes, not knowing where to look. Without a word, he grabbed his backpack and left.