Sixteen

Esai's Point of View
I had been texting Savannah since the day after I got drunk, but she hasn't replied. I even got a new phone; texted her it was I, but nothing. It was 11:34 a.m., and I decided to text nnher again. As I clicked on our messages, my phone vibrated.

Jorge: Hey, man.
Me: Hi.
J: I've been meaning to tell you something.
Me: Tell me.
J: Savannah's boyfriend doesn't want you texting her anymore.

I stared at the message for what seemed like a long time. There was a knock on my door and it was my mom asking if I were ready; we were going to go out and eat after picking up my twin sister from the train station.
"I just need a few more minutes." I replied. All I had to do was put on my jacket and shoes.

J: Are you there?
Me: Yeah and frankly I don't care what her boyfriend wants. Has Savannah asked about me?
J: No.
Me: How is she doing?
J: At first she was pretty devastated, but now she has this huge smile on her face every time I see her. Not sure if its an act.
Me: Just tell her to text me, please.
J: No problem. I see her in half an hour.
Me: Ok.

I put my shoes and jacket on, and put my phone in my pocket. Walking out of the room, I met up with my mom as she handed me the keys so I could drive.
"What's got you upset?" She asked.
"Nothing." I replied, turning the engine on as we got in and put our seat belts on.
"Are you sure? You seem a bit down, you should be happy. We're picking up your sister."
Mom, I don't want to talk about." I exhaled b
"Well, looks like your sister is going to have to make you spill the beans." She smiled.
It was always Clarissa who could make me say what was on my mind. We drove for half an hour, and were five minutes early before the train would be arriving. I dropped my mom off at the front and drove away an found a parking spot. When I got out of the car, my phone vibrated. It was a message from Savannah.

S: Hi
Me: Hi

I continued walking and found my mom; the train was pulling up. My mom was very excited that she held on tightly to my left arm.

S: Why did you want me to text you?
Me: I haven't heard from you, I was worried.
S: Really? I find that hard to believe.

The doors to the train opened and out walked Clarissa holding her luggage.
"Clarissa!" My mom shouted in excitement.
"Mom!" She shouted back, running towards our direction.
"Hey little bro." Clarissa smiled, hugging me after she hugged our mom.
"I'm older than you." I reminded her.
"By two minutes, it doesn't matter." She pulled off of me. "Where are we going?"
"We were going to eat lunch, but if you're tired that's understandable." My mom replied.
"I am tired but also hungry." She laughed.
We walked to the jeep and their conversation was all about how school was and if she had met any boys.

Me: Why didn't you reply to any of my messages?
S: Because you said you didn't want to be my friend anymore.
Me: I was drunk.
S: You shouldn't have been drinking so much in the first place.
Me: I had a reason to be.
S: Oh yeah, what was that reason?
Me: I found out you were dating that kid!

We got inside the car and I waited for her text message back but she didn't reply quickly. I put my seat belt in and began driving to Clarissa's favorite place; Chili's.
"What's up with you?" Clarissa asked me, sitting in the passengers seat.
"What?" I asked, my thoughts of Savannah interrupted.
"Why so glum?"
"I was hoping you could make him talk about the situation." My mom interrupted. "He's been this way all week."
"Oh, really?" Clarissa raised her eyebrows. She stared at me, trying to guess what was wrong. "It can't be that you lost a video game because you would be sad, you'd be fuming. Could it be...?" She wondered.
"What is it?" My mom asked.
I continued staring at the road, shaking my head. "You're not psychic." I noted.
"We have that twin powers thing, remember?" Clarissa joked. "He has a problem with a girl."
"A girl?" My mom asked surprised. "Who is she, what's her name? What's she like?"
"It's for me to know and you both to bid out." I answered, pulling in Chili's. "We're here, mom can you get a table for us?" I stopped at the entrance of the doors.
"Tell me everything." My mom chuckled, looking at Clarissa.
"I got you, mom." Clarissa laughed.
My mom got out of the car and I drove around and found a parking space.
"So..." Clarissa trailed. "Is it another slut girl that you're interested in?"
"She's not a slut, and for your information, neither were those other girls." I defended.
"Those other girls used you, Esai!" Clarissa exclaimed.
"Well she's not like those other girls." I replied. "Her name is Savannah."
"What's she like?" She asked.
"She's cute and funny, a good listener. She's perfect." I described.
"She in one if your classes?"
I shook my head.
"Okay, so where did you meet her, through your video games?" Clarissa questioned.
"She's in high school." I stated.
"How old is she? You don't want to get in trouble with the police if she's underage!"
"Calm down, Clarissa." I demanded, and we stepped out of the car. "She's a senior, turned 18 in October."
"When did you meet her? How did you meet her?" She asked.
"I met her recently, but we've gotten to know each other pretty well. She had followed me on twitter." I answered.
We walked into Chili's and my mom was still sitting in the waiting area. They called my mom's name and we all followed the waitress that led us to our table. We ordered drinks and the Clarissa quickly caught m mom up on the story. I don't know why, but I didn't like for my mom to know much about my "love life". I suppose because she would either be completely judgmental or think far into the future like how our kids would be adorable or something.
"I don't understand, if she's a great gal, why are you sad?" My mom asked.
"Yeah, why are you?" Clarissa questioned.
"Mom, you know how I went to Jorge's friend's house with Rikko for a small after party?" I replied and my mom nodded. "Well, they were playing truth or dare-"
"Did she not want to kiss you?" Clarissa interjected.
"Let me finish." I responded. "So, it landed on her and Chris asked her if she and this guy were dating and long story short, they are."
"Then what happened?" My mom asked eagerly.
"I'll only say if you promise to not get angry." I looked at my mom.
She squinted her eyes but then nodded in agreement.
"I guess it had upset me a lot, and I decided to drink. And after a couple of bottles, I didn't stop because I wanted her out of my head. The next thing I know, I was saying horrible things to her and she was crying but I didn't care at the time. The next day, I tried and calling and texting her but she ignored me until today."
"Putting aside the fact that you drank underage and without my permission," my mom commented. "Why would you do it? She's just another girl. There's plenty of more fish in the sea."
"Mom, it's not like that." I replied.
"It is." Clarissa remarked. "You go after girls that aren't good people. She must be a slut as well because hell, she didn't even tell you she was dating that guy!"
"Because-" I spoke.
"Because nothing, Esai." My mom interposed.
"Let me speak." I demanded. "He asked her out right then and there because that same day they had only found out they liked each other. I never made a move, so it's on me."
They didn't reply and our waitress walked up to us asking if we were ready to order. We ordered the same thing as always and it was a bit awkward after that.
"I don't want you drinking and ending up like your father." My mom whispered.
I looked at her and then looked down. I remembering always promising her I wouldn't drink my problems away.
"You said she replied to your messages today. What did she say?" Clarissa asked.
"Nothing really." I sipped my lemonade and checked my phone for any messages.

S: Can we talk, in person?