Thirty-Three

Joel's P.O.V.

I was standing among all of the guys. Savannah was going to be late, and I haven't hung with them much. We were awaiting Jorge, to begin our usual walk around the entire school, until finally he had arrived.
He walked up to us. Smile gone. Eyes pink and with dark circles and bags. Shitty clothing. It was the Cindy situation all over again.
"Hey Jorge." I smiled, and then turned to the guys. "Let's go?"
We all began to walk. They were talking about some bands that were performing and had even attempted to ask Jorge if the band was going to play soon. He shrugged. Not really paying attention.
I began to notice that he was walking slower and slower, so I joined him.
"Man, what's wrong?" I asked, clearly already knowing what was.
Silence.
"You can at least look up and tell me to be quiet or that you don't want to talk about it." I suggested.
"I.. I want to know why I am an easy target. Why do I get picked to get heart broken." He mumbled.
"Don't be ridiculous. You don't get picked. It just.. happens. Maybe you choose the wrong girls?" I responded.
"She wasn't a wrong choice. I know that she really did like me. If Cindy hadn't embarrassed her, maybe we'd still be together." He stayed looking down. "Unless she really didn't like me."
"Didn't you say Cindy whispered something to her?" I asked.
"What does it matter?"
"Maybe she threatened her or something. I mean, it is Cindy we're talking about." I answered.
Jorge stayed quiet and then gawked at me.
"What's that?" He pointed to my face.
"What?" I asked, confused.
"You've for a bruise on your lower cheek."
I recalled the events of last night.
"It's nothing."
"I thought you said he never beat you." Jorge stated.
"It was an accident." I hissed.

Flashback:
"If you tell anyone, I'll be sure to land a few more good ones on your mother." Dad warned, letting go of my arm.
His hand print left a mark, to which the next morning had left a few bruises as well as where he had beat me with something.
End of Flashback.

"Head on inside!" The security yelled.
~
"Lunch time." I grinned, walking towards our usual booth and placing my backpack there.
I took a seat, and whipped out my phone, and just then Kevin and Yulissa walked up, taking a seat as well.
"Hey," I spoke to Yulissa. "Was Savannah in class?" I asked.
"Yeah she was." She replied.
"Okay, thanks."
"Do you want us to wait for you two to go and get lunch?" Kevin asked.
"Nah, you two go ahead." I answered.
I looked back at my phone and went to the camera, changing it to front cam.

Damn... It is noticeable.

I lightly touched the bruise, but winced at the pain.
"You and your selfies." Savannah sighed.
I stood up, and she placed her backpack down.
"Let's go?" She asked.
I nodded, and grabbed her hand as we began walking.
"Can I ask you something." I mumbled.
"Yeah, sure." She replied.
"Why did Crystal break up with Jorge?" I asked.
"Is he doing bad?" She had a facial expression of sympathy.
I nodded, we grabbed our plates and waited in line to punch in our numbers.
"She still hasn't said anything, then again we haven't talked much since she's been hanging out with her other friends. Even if it's just us in class, she won't talk to me if I bring him up. Sometimes, she'll ignore me if I bring you up!" She confessed.
"So it's no good on both ends." I said. "I'm sure Cindy had something to do with it."
"I'm sure as well, but we can't prove it." Savannah replied.
We began walking back to the booth.
"Didn't you say she was scared of you?" I asked.
"Only when she doesn't have her trusty sidekick."
"Get her alone and threaten her."
"It's not that easy."
We took our seats, and Yulissa and Kevin were in their own conversation.
I was going to suggest something, until Savannah took out her phone, reading a text.
She laughed, and while replying she kept this smile on her face.
"Who texted you?" I asked, taking a bite from the chicken Parmesan.
"Um, its no one." She replied, setting her phone down in between us.
I shrugged it off. "Are you busy Friday?"
"I'm not sure yet." She replied, and then her phone rang. Again, she laughed and was smiling as she replied. "Why?"
"We haven't gone on a date in a while, and I was hoping we could. You know, take you to our spot." I grinned, winking.
"More like your favorite spot." She laughed.
"The view is nice there, how can you not like it?" I asked.
"It just gets old." She replied.
Suddenly Kevin and Yulissa stopped talking, causing more tension.
"We've only gone there about three times." I exhaled.
Her phone rang again, and she was ignoring me.
"Where would you like to go, then?" I asked.
"I don't know, I think I'm going to be busy anyway."
"Saturday as well?"
"Yeah, I've got to help with my little cousin's 5th birthday party, remember?" She responded, taking a sip from her drink.
"Would you be needing my help?" I offered.
"No, Esai already-"
"What?" I interrupted.
She glanced at me, but quickly looked down.
"We're gonna get going." Kevin whispered.
They stood up, taking their belongings with them.
Just then Savannah's phone rang, but I took it out of her hands and read the message.
"It's boring here at your house, lol. No offense. Maybe I should watch your collection of chick flicks :b "
"What is he doing at your house?" I asked angrily.
"He's staying there for a while until he gets back on his feet."
"He isn't your responsibility!" I exclaimed.
"The college kicked him out and his mother basically disowned him. He had no where else to go."
"Don't you think that he's just going to manipulate you all over again?" I shouted.
She grabbed her backpack and started walking off.
"Wait!" I yelled.
I grabbed my backpack as well and followed her outside.
"Wait." I grabbed her arm and turned her around.
"What exactly is the problem? What, you don't trust me?" She huffed.
"I trust you, its him I don't. He's the problem!" I yelled. "You've got to be completely stupid to let a guy into your home who lied to you plenty of times."
She had the angriest face I ever saw, and looked away. Taking a couple of breaths.
"Look, I didn't mean to call you stupid." I lowered my voice and walked towards her. "Please, forgive me. I just have a lot going on right now, and seeing you smile at his messages angers me."
She wasn't looking at me.
"I trust you, babe, I really do." I grabbed her hand and handed her the phone. "Please?"