Twenty-Four

*Kevin's Point of View*
Yulissa was looking down now. It has always been difficult for me to understand why she put up with him. No one ever seemed to notice the bruises because she would wear a light jacket to cover up the bruises.
Flashback to a few months ago when she and Julio were still dating:
I was walking out of my house to retrieve the mail, when I noticed Julio walking into Yulissa's home. Her mother's truck was nowhere to be seen, so I assumed that she was home alone.
I watched as he entered the home, and then stood on the sidewalk for a couple of seconds.

That should be me... Wow, I'm quoting a Justin Bieber song, how lame.

I walked inside my home, and my dad just walked past me without a word.
"Good evening, dad." I stated, looking at him and waiting for a reply.
I watched as he got into his truck, turned it on, and then left.
I strolled towards the living room and plopped my self on the couch. Grabbing the remote, I turned the television on and began flipping through channels.
"Boring... Boring.. Boring. Boring."
In the distance I heard shouting, and returned to the channel before, thinking it was from there until I heard it coming from outside.
Standing up, I walked over to the kitchen, peeking through the window. Yulissa and Julio were shouting at each other.

Wow. Didn't take long for him to fuck up.

"I want you to leave, now!" Yulissa shouted.

This is really none of my business... I should go back to watching TV.

I stayed by the window and stared, looking like a creep.
"When are you going to put out?" Julio laughed, trying to grab her hand, but she pulled away. His facial expression changed to looking angry. "We've been dating for almost a year. What about my needs?"
"You got those needs satisfied plenty times when you screwed that bitch."
I laughed at the shock of Yulissa cursing. She only started cursing because of him.
"I thought we put it past us."
"You did, I haven't."
"You act like this is my fault. She came onto me!" He whined, and walked closer to her, but she walked backwards. "Quit moving." He demanded.
She walked backwards again, but then he grabbed her arm and pulled her closer to him.

Don't be stupid, Julio. Don't do something stupid.

"Let go of me." She winced, trying to remove her arm from his grip.
My legs were shaking, I was getting ready to run out there, before anything happened.
"Now. We are going to go inside, and have fun." He stated.
"Fuck you." She hissed.
He raised his arm, and I dashed out the door, running towards him.
"Back up." My nostrils flared, my heart pumping.
"This isn't any of your business, Kev." Julio replied.
"Its my business when you try to hit a woman in public. Or hit a woman at all."
Julio let go of Yulissa and walked towards me. I had never faught with a friend of mine, but if his priorities weren't right, something had to be done.
"Do you really want to do this." He grinned. "Fighting for a girl who has no clue that you like her."
"It doesn't matter if you like her. She said for you to leave, if you don't I'll call the police. You need to go and calm down." I stated.
"You need to go back into your home and mind your own fucking business." He responded, turning around and walking towards Yulissa.
He grabbed her by the arm, and pulled her inside. She didn't even look back, but I went home and looked for something to punch. I had never seen any brusies on her, but if I did, Julio would definitely regret it.
About thirty five minutes later, Julio walked out of her home and left. I took this chance, and waked over to Yulissa's home and knocked. No answer. I knocked again. Nothing.
"Yulissa?" I asked. I knocked, but then just opened the door and entered.
I called out her name, heading towards her bedroom. The door was slightly opened, so I pushed it opened.
"Oh my G- I am so sorry." I stuttered, trying to look away, but stared until my eyes finally pulled away and darted to the ground.
She quickly pulled down her black long sleeved shirt, and put on her red plaid pajama pants.
"You can look now." She whispered, taking a seat on her bed.
"Yulissa... Were those bruises everywhere?" I stayed standing at the door speechless.
End of flashback.

Yulissa reached over for a nugget, and ate slowly. I gawked at her. Mostly in awe of her beauty, but also in sadness. Someone so beautiful and wonderful shouldn't have to go through something like this. No one should. And especially not without receiving help.
"Can I ask you something?" I mumbled.
She slowly nodded her head.
I looked away, searching for words.
"Do you think we can become friends again? Become closer than we were before."

Kevin, you idiot. You put yourself in the friendzone.

She grinned and then nodded.