Seven

Jorge's P.O.V.
Thursday
My friends and I were spending more and more time with Crystal and Savannah. We were all getting to know each other, and without the other guys knowing I liked Crystal, they said both girls were "pretty great". Since Savannah hung out with us, Joel didn't go talking from girl to girl anymore. He only stayed with her, but I knew something was a bit off with Savannah. It was lunchtime again, and as before, it was just Crystal, Savannah, Joel and I. We sat in a booth; Crystal and I sitting together on one side, while Joel and Savannah sat on the other. I glanced at Joel, and he was staring at Savannah as she spoke. I looked at Crystal, and she was busy sipping water.
"Is water all you drink?" I asked.
"During school hours, yes." She whispered.
I glanced at Joel again, and he was very close to her. I hadn't been with anyone in a while, so it felt like I was on a first date all over again.
Moving closer to Crystal, I asked, "do you... Maybe want to go walk outside?"
She tilted her head, "it's a bit fresh outside and I don't have a jacket."
"You can borrow mine." I pointed to my blue striped sweater lying on the table.
She took a few seconds before nodding in agreement. I stood up and tossed both of our palates into the trashcan.
"Where are you both headed?" Joel asked, one arm around Savannah.
"We're going to walk outside." I answered.
"Okay, I guess when the bell rings you meet us back here." He replied.
I nodded and we walked away.
"Why do you want to be outside?" Crystal asked.
"I find it more better than inside. The sun in my face, the wind in my hair." I laughed.
She smiled and shook her head, "Why do you like your hair long?"
"Well, before I liked it long, like the Justin Bieber kind. Now, I have to keep it at shoulder length for the band look." I responded.
"What would they say if you cut it?"
"Not sure... They would probably just tell me to grow it out again because it would be impossible to find an amazing guitarist like myself." I joked.
We laughed and then continued walking around the parent-pick up area.
"Do you want to sit down?" I asked.
"Sure, and do you mind if I borrow your sweater now? The wind is hitting our direction."
I handed her my sweater as we sat down on an empty bench.
"You know, you should really have an after party with other people there instead of just you and I." She brought up.
I looked away and paused before answering. "I mean I would have to ask, but that would be cool."
"Yeah, and maybe even invite your friends Rikko and Esai."
I turned quickly and looked at her. "Why do you want me to invite them?" I asked, trying to play it cool. I felt a little change in my mood because I suppose I didn't want her liking anyone else.
"Because Savannah has a small crush on Esai." She blurted, facing me.
"What?" I half shouted, thinking of Joel and how he would speak of her nonstop.
"Why do you sound angry? Do you like her?" She questioned.
"No, of course not."
"What is that supposed to mean?"
"She's pretty, but-"
"You think she's pretty?"
I stopped talking. "She's cute, but I am not the one who likes her."
"Who does?" She asked.
"Joel."
"Oh my God, I am going to tell her!" She freaked.
"You can't!" I exclaimed.
"Why not?"
"He is the type of guy who wants to tell girls he likes them, himself." I glanced away.
"So she isn't the only girl he likes?"
"You're twisting my words." I laughed.
She laughed as well and said that she was only joking.
"Do you like anyone?" I asked, looking at her.
She looked away and was astounded. "I, um..."
"Time to go!" A security guard announced.
"We better go." Crystal stated, grabbing her things.
I watched as she stood up and she waited for me to get up as well. I exhaled and stood up. We walked inside and met up with Joel and Savannah. We hasn't spoken a word until Joel and I dropped off the girls at their class.
It was our last class and Joel was telling me about the things he and Savannah were talking about during lunch.
"She's amazing, man." He sighed.
"I've heard you say that before."
He stopped as he was about to say something then asked, "What do you know?"
"What?" I asked, pretending to be confused.
"Every time you say that, you know something I don't and you either tell me before or after I confess to a girl. Save me the heartache, does she like someone else?"
I didn't answer because I hated to see him angry with me. Whenever he was, he would talk to everyone but me and would even ignore me if it were just us two in a room.
"Fine, I will tell you, but don't get emotional." I whispered.
"Emotional?"
"Don't get angry or sad."
"She doesn't like me, does she?" He asked.
I stared, and as I was about to answer, Scott interrupted us.
"Hey, they called you to the office." Scott said.
"Who?" Joel and I asked at the same time.
"Jorge."
"Am I leaving early?" I asked.
"I don't think so." Scott replied.
I nodded and stood up, leaving the classroom and ignoring Joel as he asked to know the answer to his question. I arrived at the front office, and found my mom waiting.
"What happened?" I asked, as I walked up to her.
"Your grandma is very sick, so we're going to Mexico today and coming back on Sunday night. Do you want to stay and your aunt will check on you from time to time, or do you want to go with us?" She asked.
"I want to go, but mom you know I can't miss school, plus our concert is Saturday."
"So you're staying?"
"Yeah..." I answered.
"I am going to leave you money, but you're aunt Sarah is going to hold it until she picks you up this afternoon. She gets out late today, so maybe you can find a ride with one of your friends. If you leave with a friend, make sure you let her know. I'm going now," she kissed my forehead. Bye baby."
I grinned, "bye, mom. Be careful, and tell grandma that I am sorry I couldn't go."
My mom was already walking out, until she stopped and handed me something.
"Here is the spare key to the house and car if there is ever an emergency. Don't do anything bad." She said and then left.
I walked back to class, and everybody was getting into groups. The teacher called me and said to get in a group with Frank, Scott, and Joel. They would explain what we were doing.
"What happened?" Frank asked.
"I got the entire weekend to myself." I winked.
"Party!" Scott shouted.
"Shut up." I whispered. "But I need a ride after school."
"I'll give you a ride as long as you tell me is Savannah likes me or not." Joel replied.
"Ask her yourself." I said, laughing.
"Boys, are we working on the assignment?" The teacher asked.
We finished the assignment just in time before the announcements came on.
"So am I getting that ride?" I asked.
Joel glared at me, and then nodded a yes. The bell sang and we all stood up, walking out of the classroom. We waited for everybody to arrive, but the only girl who did get there at our usual spot was Crystal.
"Where's Savannah?" Joel asked.
"Oh, she has an art meeting." She answered.
"With Miles?"
"No, Ramirez."
Joel looked at me, "I am going to go. I'll test you when the meeting is over."
"You both act like a couple. Always hanging out, texting each other every minute of the day and stuff." Crystal joked.
"What can I say, he has my heart." I laughed.
We began walking towards the pick up area and sat at our regular bench. The guys were talking amongst each other, and I laughed at some of the stupid stuff they were saying. I took notice that Crystal wasn't talking much.
"Is everything alright?" I whispered, leaning closer to her.
She turned to look at me, and I realized how close we were to each other. She was about to answer, but before she did, she scooted a little darter away from me and cleared her throat. I grinned, waiting for her response.
"Everything is fine."
"Are you sure?" I asked.
"Yeah..." She whispered, and then turned to look at her friends on a bench farther from where we sat.
"You know, you don't have to hang out with us." I stated.
"I just haven't spoken to then in a few days. Do you mind?" She pointed to them, wondering if in would be bothered if she left.
"No, I don't mind. Go ahead."
"Do you want to come with?"
I hesitated, "No, thanks."
She nodded and grabbed her things then left. I grabbed my phone from my pocket and decided to message Joel.

Text messages:
Me: Did you find her?
J: Yes, I'm going to join the art club for her.
Me: Haha, have fun. When does the meeting end?
J: Close to five, I think.
Me: Ok.