Forty-Four

Jorge's P.O.V.

I was walking with my mom, and younger brother and sister. We made our way past the doors and entered the stadium. There were plenty of people who arrived before us. The graduation ceremony wasn't even going to start until 7, and it was barely 6:30 p.m.
We found our seats next to Crystal's family. Her cousins had flew in from North Carolina just to see her walk. I introduced myself and my family.
"Why do you even like Crystal?" On of the guys asked.
The older girl hit him on the shoulder and hissed, "Shut up."
On the bench, it was Crystal's family, with her cousins on the lower seats, apart from the girl. I caught them saying her name: Vivian. She was sitting next to Crystal's brother, so I went ahead and sat next to her, with my family on my left.
Quickly as the stadium filled, time passed. Joel texted me he was on the farther side of me, sitting with his mother and Savannah's family. While Kevin was more closer, sitting with his dad and Yulissa's mother.
The ceremony began, only to be dragged on. There was speakers, and then we had to stand for the pledge of allegiance and state song. Then more talking, and talking and screaming because they had finally began saying the names.
It was getting near Crystal's name to be called, and to my surprise, they didn't say anything about yelling together like I had seen the other families do.
"Are we going to shout for her when they say her name?" I asked Vivian.
"Well, if you want. Usually we'll just clap." She responded.
I remembered about Crystal's text: you better cheer for me!
"Yeah, why not? Let's celebrate all that she's done." I smiled.
Vivian shrugged and then told everyone we were going to yell. I told my family as well, and then they said her name.
"... Graduating with honors, tech prep, scholars, HOSA..."
We were on our feet and I couldn't hear my own thoughts because of my shouting. One of the cousins borrowed this racket and made huge noises. We waved and screamed more, and stopped once she was walking back to her seat. Her mom even managed to shout I love you, Crystal.
In my head I thought, me too. Of course, I could never tell Crystal that. She and I were basically coming to an end. She got accepted to a college right hours away, and about two weeks ago we had this talk.

FLASHBACK:
"Jorge, with me getting leaving in a month, I think we should talk... I don't want us to be a thing anymore once we move." She confessed.
I opened my mouth to talk but nothing came out so she continued.
"We won't be having any sort of contact. No texts, calls, nor visits. Its not anything against you. What we had, what we have is pure happiness for me. But I don't want you focused on me, when you have your life to live."
"So you don't want to feel like you're holding me back?" I whispered.
"Yeah, something like that. With me gone, you can date girls your age, hang out more with your friends, focus on school. And maybe you can even try getting the band back together." Crystal smiled weakly.

She mentioned it before, but I never thought she was being serious...

"So are we over, right now?" The words skipped.
"Not if you want it to be done with." She replied. "I'm just saying, after college, we'll be done with each other."
"And there's nothing I can do to change that?" I asked.
She shook her head.
END OF FLASHBACK.

I sat back down. Motionless to the names being called. It was as if I spent the entire time thinking about the good times. Hardly ever a dull moment spent with her. The announcer got to the letter Y, and people were already beginning to leave.
"We'll just wait for Crystal to call us." Her dad told us.
I nodded, just watching time pass by. This felt like my first relationship all over again. Like I was the only putting in effort. I knew wonderful things had an expiration date, I just never knew I'd know mine and slowly watch as the wonderful things slipped from my fingers.
In the blink of an eye, we were on the football field, in search of Crystal. She was talking pictures with some friends, until she saw us. She hugged her entire family first, and then hugged me last. She began by taking pictures just with her parents. Just her siblings. Then all of them. Then just her cousins. Just her aunt and uncle. And then all of that family. Then it was one single picture. Only one. With me. She then lost herself, taking pictures with more friends that had found her.
I didn't realize how painful this would be. We were drifting apart.
We got home and I hadn't spoken much of a word with anyone. Even before I left the stadium, everyone knew something was up. I guess I hadn't given much thought to anything until today.

What am I going to do with my life? What do I want to do as a career? I need to start looking at colleges, get a job this summer.

"Jorge." My mom knocked on my bedroom door.
Only now I saw that I hadn't even closed the door.
"Are you alright?" She asked.
I nodded, "I'm fine, mom. Why?"
She glanced down. "No reason. Sleep early, hun. Tomorrow is prom, remember? We have to pick up your tux from the dry cleaner, and then take you to get a haircut." Mom reminded me.
"Okay, mom. Goodnight." I responded.
"Goodnight." She closed the door.
I put my phone on silent and left it to charge. Changed into only boxers and a t shirt, and then turned off my light.

Goodnight...