Twenty-Eight

Joel's Point of View

Sitting on the chair, I rested my chin on Savannah's head who sat inbetween my legs on the ground. My arms were wrapped around her, and it felt really warm.
Jorge and Crystal sat together on some blankets that were laid out on the ground, and Yulissa and Kevin had gone inside to make sandwiches for everyone. Though, they had been taking quite a while, so my guess is they got distracted.
It was quiet and peaceful outside. Better than the last bonfire we had last time.
"Did we ever say the L word?" Savannah whispered.
"You mean lesbians?" I joked.
She chuckled, and leaned in closer to me. "No. The other L word."
"Love?"
"Yes."
I sighed. "No. We've not reached that point. Why do you ask?"
"Just curious." she then sat up and turned around to face me.
We were about only 2.5 inches away from each other. I took in the view.
"For me, I can experience our first kiss all over again." she smiled.
I couldn't resist smiling, and I nodded. "Yeah, I know."
She closed her eyes, mouth slightly open. I cupped her face, closing my eyes as well, but then the door opened.
"Yulissa wants to know if we'll be eating inside or out." Kevin interrupted.
Savannah opened her eyes, and I put my hands down.
"I feel like inside would be better. Maybe we should just move the party inside." Jorge answered. "What do you say?" he looked at me.
"I don't mind." I responded.
We all stood up, and in walked Jorge and Crystal. I began to walk, but was stopped by Savannah who didn't budge.
"What's wrong?" I asked.
She didn't reply, but I smiled knowing why she didn't move. I walked up to her, right hand grabbing her by the waist, pulling her closer. We looked at each other in the eyes, and my hands moved upwards, grabbing her face gently. We closed our eyes, and our lips met.
After a while, we pulled apart. Both of us smiling.
"Love." I began. "It's just chilling, you know? Kicking it back with somebody, talking, making mad stupid jokes. And, like, not even wanting to go to sleep, 'cause then you might be without 'em for a minute. And you don't want that."
"Did you seriously just quote Poussey from Orange Is The New Black?" she laughed, putting one hand over her mouth.
I joined with her in laughing and nodded my head. "I pay attention to what you tell me to watch."
She shook her head, laughing. I grabbed her hand and we walked inside to find the other already sitting at the dinner table, eating their chips, sandwiches, and drinking.
"The food is getting cold." Jorge spoke with a mouth full. "Hurry up and sit down to eat."
"They're sandwiches, it doesn't matter." Savannah replied, her eyebrows furrowed.
"Eat!" he shouted.
"Close your mouth!" Crystal exclaimed, hitting him on the arm.
Jorge made a pouting face, and we took a seat.
"We should play a game after this." Kevin suggested.
"Yass. Couples against each other." Yulissa cheered.
"What games are there to play, though?" I asked.
"Many. Stuff like... Find Your Girl. Before the game begins, every girl fills out a card, naming a few personal facts about herself: eye color, how tall she is, her jewelry, brand of lipstick, etc. The cards are put into a box. One boy picks a card and tries to match it to the right girl. The first boy to match the card to the girl, gets a point. And vice versa." she explained.
"You've played games like this before?" Crystal asked.
Yulissa nodded. "It's very fun, but gets competitive."
"Then we shall play!" Savannah grinned, then taking a bite of her sandwich.