Thirty - Two

Savannah's P.O.V.

I got home and called around the house, "Mom? Dad?" I placed my backpack on the sofa and dropped my keys on the counter. "Anyone? Your cars are outside, so someone should be answering me." I asked, and then heard something fall in my parents bedroom.
Walking towards the noise, I strolled into the room to find them sitting on the floor.
"Is that what just fell?" I asked, pointing to a box of photos.
They didn't reply.
I took a seat next to them, both having a smile on their face.
"This is a picture of me and your grandmother." Mom showed me. I grabbed the picture, mom looked so happy.
"How long ago was this?" I asked.
"Well, you were about 6 months, when this photo was taken." Dad answered.
"Were you the one taking the picture?"
"Yep." He nodded his head.
"We haven't looked through these photos in years, what made you both decide to look at them?" I questioned, grabbing a few and grinning at my weird baby pictures.
"I saw a picture on the internet where the mother had made these yearbooks out of the photos. I thought that would be cute to do. So we're sorting them out." Mom explained.
"That does sound cute to do!" I replied. They didn't say anything, and I had then remembered what I was going to ask them.

Should I even ask? No, that's ridiculous...
But he needs a place to stay...

"Mom, dad." I began. "I was wondering if a friend could stay over."
"As long as by friend, you don't mean your boyfriend." Dad's voice trailed.
"Well, no. We aren't together. But he's a friend."
My mom put the photos down. "What friend are you talking about? Is it the one with the long hair and feminine features?"
I laughed, but then stopped. "Crystal actually broke up with him today. His name is Jorge."
"So then why are you inviting your friend's ex boyfriend?" Dad asked.
"What? No, I'm not inviting him over. Its Esai. The one who would visit me while I was at the hospital." I responded.
"I thought your boyfriend's name was Joel."
"Oh my gosh." I wailed. "My boyfriend's name is Joel, but Esai is a completely different person. He needs a place to stay because he got kick-" I stopped in my tracks.

If I tell them he got kicked out of college, they might not let him stay..

"Continue." Dad demanded.
"He is locked out of his house. Family is on vacation and he doesn't have an extra key." I finished.
"Well, do you know long he'll be staying?" Dad asked.
"I'm not sure. They're in Japan." I blurted.
"Wow. Well, sure he can stay!"
"Really?" I asked.

They bought my terrible lie?

"Why do you sound surprised?" Dad questioned.
"Um, no reason. I'll go and let him know."
"Alright, but tell us when he arrives so we can let him know the rules and stuff."
"Okay." I mumbled. I walked to the living room to grab my backpack and headed to my bedroom.

Ugh, I need to clean in here.

I grabbed my phone and called Esai.

"Hello?" He answered.
"Hey."
"Have you asked?"
"Wow, quick to know. Not even a simple, how was the rest of your day?" I replied.
"Sorry, its just that I'm about an hour away from town."
"Right. I asked and they said its alright. Just let me know when you arrive. I'll text you the address."
"Thank you, bye." He spoke.
"No problem, bye."

I decided to clean my room and began by throwing the dirty clothes into the hallway.

I really need to make space for a hamper in here.

About half an hour later, I had picked everything off the floor. Shoving most of it into the closet.

Looks cleaner than before.

I shrugged, and walked out into the hallway, taking all of my dirty clothes to the laundry room. As I walked back to my room, my phone began to ring.

Carry on my wayward son. There'll be peace when you are done. Lay your weary head to rest. Don't you cry no more!

"Hello" I answered.
"Hey babe." Joel replied.
"Oh, hey. Thought you were someone else. What's up?"
"Who did you think I was?" He asked.
"It doesn't matter. What are you doing?" I questioned.
"Just reheating some dinner from last night." He said. "What are you up to?"
"Well, I just finished cleaning my room, part of it, so I guess now I will be taking a break."
"You still aren't done?"
"No. Just threw a lot of thing on my bed." I laughed.
He laughed as well, and we continued talking until another call was coming in.
"Babe, I got to go, got a phone call." I stated.
"Its fine, gonna eat right now anyways. See you tomorrow, sweetie."
"Bye." I smiled.
"Buh- bye."
I answered my next phone call coming from inside.
"Hey, you in the neighborhood already?" I asked.
"Yes. How do I get to your house?" He asked.
I gave him the directions and could hear him repeating them to the driver.
"Alright, I'm here."
"Okay."
We hung and I shouted to mom and dad that he had arrived.
"We're going." Dad shouted.
I walked to the front door, and opened it. The cab pulled in and out walked Esai. The driver got out as well, and grabbed the bags from the trunk, followed by Esai handing him and enormous amount of cash. The driver pulled away, and I walked towards Esai.
"Need help?" I asked.
"A little, yes." He responded.
I grabbed two bags, while he carried the others and he followed behind me as I walked inside the house. I placed the bags on the floor, next to the couch and he did the same.
"Hi." My parents greeted him.
Dad extended his hand, "I'm Greg."
"Esai." Esai replied and shook his hand.
"Nice handshake." Dad commented.
"I'm Maria." Mom answered.
"Nice to meet you both, and thank you very much for allowing me to stay."
"Any friend of Savannah's is a friend of the family." Dad replied.

What the heck?

"You can leave your bags here while we show you around." Mom noted.
Esai nodded and they began walking, so I followed.
~
"You'll be staying in this room. It belonged to Savannah's older brother, but he moved out two years ago so we use it as a guest room." Dad informed.
"Thank you, again."
"Its no problem." Mom replied. "How long will your family be staying in Japan?"
"Excuse me?" He asked, clearly confused.
I made a face, and then dad answered.
"Well, Savannah says that you're locked out of your house because your family is currently in Japan."
"Oh, right. Sorry. It just surprises me that they're even there." He played along.
"Why are they there?" Mom asked, obviously curious.
"My mom is a part time teacher, part time music video producer. She's got her plate full, but loves to work." He replied.
"So you don't know how long you'll be staying?" Dad asked.
"Unfortunately, no sir."
"You can call me Greg."
Esai smiled.
"Well, I'm about to start cooking dinner, you can get settled in." Mom spoke and then glanced at dad. "Help him with his bags, honey. And tell him the rules."
My dad nodded, and they both left back to the living room.
"Do you like him?" Mom whispered.
"What kind of question is that, mom? You know I'm dating Joel." I exclaimed.
"He was looking at you funny." Mom grinned. "It was just a question, like this next one I'll be asking. "Will you be helping me with dinner tonight?"
"I've got to finish cleaning my room, shower, and finish up some pre-cal work." I answered. "Sorry."
Mom walked away, and I walked towards my room. Just then, Esai and Dad were walking past me. Esai would be staying only two doors down. Esai glanced at me, grinning from ear to ear.
My eyebrows furrowed, but I smiled back.