Chapter Forty Four:

When Lily walked into the DADA classroom, she knew for sure that something was seriously off with their new professor. The look in Umbridge's eyes reminded Lily almost of Marge. She hated the way she began to feel nervous as she took her seat. Marge was in her past, she shouldn't have control over Lily anymore.

"You okay?" Harry whispered to her, noticing her tensed posture and pale complexion.

She nodded distractedly.

"When do you meet with Denise again?" Harry asked in concern.

"I'm fine." Lily said before pausing, "...my next session is this weekend."

Harry nodded and opened his mouth to say something else, but Umbridge was clearing her throat loudly and calling the class to attention.

"Silence." She called, "As I mentioned at the feast, my name is Professor Umbridge and I will be your new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher. Good morning class."

A few people mumbled a quiet greeting under their breathes.

"Now that won't do!" Umbridge tutted, "When I say good morning, you answer, loud and clear. Good morning class."

"Good morning." They chorused back.

"There. Much better, wasn't it? Now take out your books."

There was some shuffling around as students pulled out their books from their bags. Lily noticed a few people staring in her general direction and turned her head to see Hermione raising her hand without even taking out her book.

"Yes, Miss...?"

"Granger. And Professor, this book is all about theory. There's nothing in it about using defensive spells."

"How could you know? You haven't taken it out yet." Umbridge said.

"I've read it."

"The whole book?"

"Yes."

Umbridge looked a bit surprised for a moment.

"Oh, well, there will be no need to practice spells in this class." She said.

"But how are we going to learn magic?" Harry asked.

"Students will raise their hands when they speak in my class." Umbridge ignored him.

Harry stuck his hand up in the air. Umbridge ignored him for a moment before calling on him.

"Yes Mister Potter?"

"How are we going to prepare the ourselves without practicing magic?" He asked.

"What on earth would you need to protect yourselves from?" Umbridge laughed falsely.

"Oh, I dunno, maybe Lord Voldemort?!" Harry snapped.

Some students gasped. The class was then dead silent. Lily stiffened in her seat.

"You have been wrongly told a certain lie that a dark wizard has returned-" Umbridge began.

"It's not a lie! I saw him! I fought him! Lily was there too!" Harry yelled.

"Enough! Detention, Mister Potter."

Lily raised her hand.

"Yes Miss Potter?" Umbridge asked, aggravated.

"H-how can you give a student detention f-for speaking the truth?" She questioned.

"I see you take after your brother with the lying and inability to keep your mouth shut."