Chapter Forty Six:

Lily was crazy nervous for her first detention with Umbridge. The only consolation that she had was knowing she wasn't going through it alone- she had Harry. That still didn't stop her from almost having a panic attack on her way to Umbridge's office. Luckily Harry was able to calm her down, but Lily's hands still shook as Harry knocked on the door to their Professor's office.

"Come in." Umbridge's voice called.

Harry gave Lily a reassuring look before walking in first. The office was completely cover in pink. There were pictures of cats all over the walls, and at her desk Umbridge was adding so much sugar to her tea, it was making Lily nauseous.

"Sit down." Umbridge said and the two Potters complied, "You will be writing lines for me, today. Write "I must not tell lies"."

"How many times?" Harry asked, wanting to get it over with.

"Until I see fit." Umbridge replied vaguely.

Harry reached to grab a quill from his bag and Lily did the same until Umbridge interrupted.

"That won't be necessary, you'll be using the quills I provide today." She said, faking a smile.

Lily took the quill and began to write her lines. By the time she finished her first line, there was an odd stinging sensation on her left hand. She ignored it, but by the next few words the stinging turned more painful. Lily glanced down and swallowed her gasp at seeing "I must not tell lies" scratched out in her neat penmanship on her hand. She looked to Harry and he glanced up at her with sad eyes.

"Is there something wrong?" Umbridge asked.

Harry clenched his jaw. He didn't know what to do, or how to protect his sister without making the situation worse for the both of them.

"No professor." He replied.

"Good." Umbridge said smugly and then returned to her paperwork.

The detention session seemed to drag on with no end. Each twin kept looking up to check on the other whenever Umbridge wasn't looking. Eventually though, the session did end and Umbridge asked to see their hands. Harry stood up and thrust his hand in front of Umbridge's face.

"Hm, still needs work." She said disdainfully to him before turning to Lily who held out her hand with a cold glare in her eyes, "Another detention for you as well, Miss Potter."

Harry grabbed his bag and Lily did the same, the two leaving the office as quickly as possible without flat out running. Once they were a safe distance away, they slowed their pace.

"I'm not telling Dumbledore." Harry informed her.

"You aren't? Why not?" Lily asked, confused.

"Because he obviously has a lot he's dealing with, so much so that he has no time to be bothered by me."

Lily frowned. She had noticed that Dumbledore had been neglecting spending time with Harry. She had been seen him flat out ignore her brother before, which was so different from how things used to be between them.

"I guess I won't tell either then." Lily said, which made Harry look sad.

"I don't want you getting hurt though, Lils." Harry said.

"I only have one more detention left as of now. I'll be okay." She reminded him.

He didn't look happy about it, but he nodded in acceptance. Lily paused in walking causing him to do the same. She hugged her brother.

"You're not alone, Harry." She promised.

"I know." He lied.

Lily gave him a sad smile. She knew she couldn't talk Harry into changing his mind. The best thing for Harry would be to see that people were there for him- that people cared and listened. Lily decided she would do her best go show him that.