Chapter Thirty Three:

Rita Skeeter was an absolute menace- to society and every subject she had ever written about with her Quick notes Quill. Her articles brought nothing but lies and rumors to all who read it. Rita would seek out drama and make it up when she couldn't find any, which is why Hermione was currently under attack by a legion of fan girls and other "well wishers".

After Rita's latest article labeling Hermione as a no good player who had put both Viktor and Harry under love potions, the poor Gryffindor had been receiving hate mail. Even Mrs. Weasley acted unusually cold to Hermione and sent her the smallest Easter egg of the bunch until Harry cleared up any doubts of Hermione's authenticity. Mrs. Weasley's demeanor changed drastically after that, and she guiltily made up for it by sending Hermione more treats by Owl later.

The tension between Hermione and Ron left over from the Yule Ball gradually faded, but the topic of that night and it's events was tiptoed around and generally avoided, not only by the two but by all who had witnessed their argument.

On a brisk April day, Lily found herself walking alone outside. With all the chaos of the tournament, she sought some peace and solitude. While she strolled around the Black Lake, listening to the songs of the birds, she noticed something move slightly in the trees of the Forbidden Forest. Curiosity drew her closer to the woods, even though she knew they were off limits. She did have her wand on her, but if the rumors of the woods were true, her wand might not be enough. Despite this, Lily did not feel that the movement in the bushes was threatening.

She pushed some of the branches to one bush, and discovered a small fawn with an injured leg trying to hide.

"Hey there, I'm not going to hurt you." Lily cooed softly.

The fawn watched her wearily, but didn't run away. Lily surveyed the situation, not wanting to upset the deer, but not wanting her to remain wandering around the forest alone and in pain. Lily glanced at her wand before coming up with an idea.

Carefully, she cast a spell to create a large box with an open top. The fawn luckily didn't seem disturbed by the use of magic.

"Can I touch you?" Lily asked permission.

The fawn blinked, so Lily slowly reached her hand out. After cautiously sniffing the girl's hand, the deer allowed Lily to stroke her fur gently.

"I'm going to get some supplies and come back and help you, okay?" Lily asked.

She reached out and carefully picked up the deer just enough to place her inside the topless box. Lily then hid the box in the bushes again.

"Be right back." She smiled, before scurrying away from the animal and back to the school to find the supplies she needed.

"Hey Lily." Ginny called as she walked past on her way to the Great Hall for dinner.

"Hi, sorry, but I've got to go." Lily said quickly, before resuming her journey to the hospital wing.

There would be other times for dinner, but the fawn required her help now. She was a floor away from her destination when she ran into another figure, though this one made for less desirable company.

"Lily?" Draco called as she walked past.

She kept walking, refusing to look at him. Draco hurried up to walk alongside her.

"Wait, Lily!" He said, "I'm sorry!"

Lily sighed, not slowing her pace before speaking up.

"For what, Draco?" She asked, "For acting so rude to me that night at the Yule Ball, or for ignoring me every day since then?"

"Um, both, I suppose?" He said, looking taken aback.

Lily huffed and kept walking.

"I really am sorry." Draco said, "I just... well, I was embarrassed."

Lily didn't stop walking, but she nodded to show him he got her attention.

"I was embarrassed for how I was acting that night at the ball. I, er, well, I just was in a bad space. Pansy isn't the best option for a date, you know, she's kinda... snarky? Anyways, I know that's not an excuse for snapping at you, I just-"

Lily stopped walking and Draco nearly walked into her. She had stopped outside of the hospital wing and knocked on the doors.

"Are you sick?" He asked worriedly.

"No." Lily replied, not looking at him.

"Hurt?"

"No."

"Is Potter-?"

"Ah, yes, come in Lily." Madam Pomfrey ushered the girl in.

Draco was greeted a bit less enthusiastically.

"Mister Malfoy. Sick again?"

"Um, no." He said awkwardly.

"Then why are you here?" Pomfrey asked.

"I, um, was just here with Lily..." Draco explained.

Pomfrey looked rather surprised to learn that a soft and gentle girl like Lily was friends with a not so soft and gentle boy like Draco, but she figured it wasn't her place to judge.

"How can I help you, dear?" Pomfrey asked the Gryffindor girl.

"I was wondering if you had any spare bandages you could give me?" Lily asked politely, "And some of that potion that helps heal open wounds?"

"Of course!" Promfrey nodded, moving to gather the requested items, "Anything I can help you with?"

"Thank you for asking, but I don't think so." Lily said.

"Well, here you go." The matron handed over the items, "Have a good evening!"

"You too!" Lily smiled, turning and leaving the wing.

Draco awkwardly gave Pomfrey a half wave gesture before hurrying after Lily.

"Lily? Lily, where are you going?" He asked, trying to match her pace.

"I just have to go outside for a moment-"

"Outside?! But it's dinner time still." Draco pointed out.

"I know." Lily said simply.

"But that means it will get dark out soon."

"I'm aware." She nodded, continuing out the front doors of the school.

Draco paused for a moment, considering whether he wanted to go and eat dinner or follow Lily outside, where it appeared her destination was the Forbidden Forest.

"Lily." He groaned, but rushed after her nevertheless.