Chapter Eighteen:

Lily walked over to Draco's compartment and opened the door.

He looked surprised to see her.

"Hey." Lily said.

"Oh, hi." He replied.

There was an awkward silence for a moment.

"I um, thought you looked lonely." Lily said after a minute.

Draco scoffed, but a smile was playing on his lips.

"Crabbe and Goyle are looking for the candy trolly." Draco said.

Lily nodded. He awkwardly looked at her.

"It's probably, um, best if you leave before then." Draco said.

"I will."

"So... how's... life...?" Draco asked.

"It's good." She replied automatically, before thinking, "I mean, it's okay, like, um, other people have it worse..."

He leaned forward, concerned.

"You're scared." He observed, "To go back to your aunt?"

"Aunt M-Marge is... she's-... I d-don't know." Lily said, fidgeting with her hands and avoiding eye contact.

"My dad never thinks I'm good enough." Draco said suddenly, "He always wants me to do better, be better. I'm never enough for him."

Lily looked up.

"Sometimes I get scared he's going to hurt me." Draco admitted, "When he gets really mad... but the most he's ever done is throw things at me."

There was a moment of silence.

"Your aunt... she doesn't hurt you like that, does she? Like physically?"

"Um, maybe I should go." Lily stood up.

Draco moved and grabbed her wrist to stop her. She flinched away. That was all the answer he needed.

"You cannot go back to her." He said.

"I don't think-"

"You will not go back to her." Draco repeated, firmly.

Lily couldn't stop the tears from falling down her face.

"What do I do, Draco?" She cried, sitting back down, "Aunt Marge- she- the things she does t-to me are awful! And it h-hurts, it hurts so bad!"

"Hey, hey, it's okay." Draco tried to comfort her, sitting next to her and trying to rub her back.

Without warning Lily suddenly turned and hugged him, crying into his shoulder. Draco was stiff for a moment before relaxing and hugging her back.

"I don't know what to do." Lily whispered.

Draco let go of her and made Lily look him on the eyes.

"Does Potter know?"

"No."

"And your godparents?"

"N-no."

"Then you're going to tell Potter. He won't let you go back to that horrid woman."

"You think?" Lily sniffled.

"Potter may very well be an annoying and arrogant fool, but he wouldn't let your Aunt Marge hurt you. Never again." Draco said.

"And if the Dursley's don't take me in?" Lily asked.

"Then... you'll come home with me." He said.