Chapter Seven:

Harry, Ron, Hermione and Lily went together to their next classes, sticking together.

When it came time for Transfiguration, Hermione disappeared. Harry and Ron seemed sure she wouldn't miss the class though, so they climbed up the ladder with Lily. Professor Trelawney was odd, to say the least. She waltzed across the room, predicting students futures form their teacups until she came to Harry's cup. Her eyes widened and she dropped the cup in fear.

"What is it?!" Hermione asked.

Ron looked at her, surprised to see her seeing how she was there a moment ago.

"My dear boy." Trelawney said dramatically, "You have... the Grim!"

"What's the Grim?" Harry asked, confused.

Lily was highly concerned, looking at her Professor with few run her eyes.

"The Grim is one of the darkest omens in the wizarding world... it's an omen of death." One student informed.

Harry looked down. Lily placed a comforting hand on his arm. He gave her a small forced smile. The rest of the day looked rather bleak for the four students, and Hermione seemed to keep disappearing and reappearing between classes. It wasn't until there next day during Transfiguration that they finally received some good news about Trelawney's prophecy.

"Good heaven, don't tell me you believed that woman?" McGonagall scoffed, "She has predicted the deaths of twelve students while working here, and I would like to inform you that not a single one of those students has passed."

"Really?" Harry asked hopefully.

"Yes, now may I get on with my lesson?" She said.

Harry nodded and everyone relaxed after that, especially Lily.

After classes, Lily was following Harry and his friends to the Gryffindor Common Room when she had to use the restroom.

"You sure you don't want me to wait for you?" Harry asked her.

"I just have to use the loo, Harry." Lily said.

"Okay." He said, looking after her as she walked down the hallway.

"Why so worried, mate?" Ron asked.

"I dunno, I just feel like I've got to protect her." Harry shrugged.

"I reckon she'll be fine." Ron said comfortingly.

Harry nodded. Lily went to the bathroom and was walking back to the Common Room alone when she ran into Draco and his two friends, Crabbe and Goyle.

"Well, we'll, if it isn't Ginger Potter." Draco said.

Lily ignored him and kept walking.

"Do you reckon she dyed her hair like that?" Goyle asked.

"Maybe she wanted to fit in with the Weasley's." Crabbe guessed, "Don't know why she'd want to do that, the whole family is a freak show."

"Don't day that." Lily said quietly.

"Huh?" Goyle asked, "Did you hear something?"

"Nothing." Draco smirked.

"D-don't talk badly about my friends." Lily repeated at the same volume.

"Aww, she wants to protect her friends." Crabbe cooed, "How adorable, she can't even protect herself."

Goyle, who was holding his wand, moved it quickly, causing Lily to flinch. The boys burst out laughing, except for Draco who had a pained smile on his face. Lily went to walk away, but Crabbe moves to block her.

"Please let me through." Lily said softly, voice trembling.

"Or what?" Goyle taunted, "You'll cry?"

Lily didn't answer, looking down at her shoes. Suddenly, Goyle grabbed her arm and pushed her down to the floor. Lily gasped. She squeezed her eyes shut, anticipating pain.

"Come on, let's go find something better to do." Draco said, but Goyle wasn't finished.

"What's wrong with her?" He asked.

Lily was breathing heavily, eyes still closed. Goyle kicked her in the side and she let out a small scream.

"What...?" Crabbe asked, confused.

"HEY!" A voice yelled from down the hallway.

The three boys turned to see Harry running towards them, wand drawn.

"Come one." Goyle said, scurrying away before they could get caught by a teacher.

Only Draco remained behind. Harry pushed Draco out of the way and knelt next to Lily. She was shaking and panting hard, frightened by the memories flashing through her mind.

"What the hell did you do to her?" Harry turned around and demanded Draco.

"We didn't..." Draco began, but Harry wasn't listening, he had turned back to his sister.

"Come on, Lily." He tried to soothe, "Open your eyes. Come on, Lil. Deep breaths."

"Please." Lily whimpered does quietly that they almost missed it.

"Come on Lil. Deep breaths." Harry repeated.

She shakily took a deep breath in before releasing it. Her eyes opened. She looked over at Harry and slowly moved to hug him. He hugged her back, soothingly rubbing circles of her back.

"It's okay." He said, "It's okay, you're okay."

The whole time this was happening, Draco was staring at the scene, unable to move. When Lily opened up her bright green eyes and looked up at him, he finally gained control over his body. He stiffened and spun around, leaving the hallway as quickly as he could.

"You okay Lily?" Harry asked.

She released her grip on him and nodded slowly.

"What happened?" Harry asked, "Did they do this to you?"

"I- not really, I-" Lily mumbled.

"I'm gonna kill them." He said, gripping this wand.

"Please don't." Lily said meekly.

"Lily, if they hurt you-"

"I'm okay now." She said, "Please don't hurt them... and plead don't tell anyone about this."

"But-"

"Please, Harry." Lily begged, "Don't tell."

"...fine." Harry reluctantly agreed, standing up and offering her a hand.

She took it and got to her feet.

"But I'm not letting you go off on your own again." Harry said.

"Okay." Lily nodded, agreeing to the term, hoping it would be temporary.

She felt ashamed that he had seen her like that. Harry was so brave and strong, and she couldn't even defend herself. The Sorting Hat must've made a mistake. Lily was no Gryffindor.

After the incident, Harry stayed true to his word and didn't let Lily out of his sight for more than five minutes. She felt honored that he cared about her so much, but his constant protective presence was getting a bit much.

"Harry?" Lily asked, gathering up her courage a few says after the incident.

"Yeah?" He asked.

"When I was... when you helped me... that name you called me-"

"Lil?" He asked, "Sorry, that was just a nickname, I can not say it again if you'd like."

"No, I, um, actually kind of liked it." Lily mumbled.

"You did?" Harry asked, surprised.

She nodded.

"Well, then, Lil it is." He smiled, causing her to give him one back.