Chapter Ten:

It turns out that Lena, Ginny, Neville and Luna knew the oddity that was December Ross.

"She seems nice." Luna said, having shared a room with the girl for the past two years.

Lena nodded in agreement, while Ginny looked unsure.

"I don't know." Ginny said, "If she pressured you into stealing a book from the library, then I don't know..."

"I don't think she meant to." Lily said quietly, "I think she just wanted the get the book and I was too weak to say anything."

All four protested and shook their heads.

"You're not weak, Lily." Lena said, "You are one of the strongest people I know."

Lily didn't believe her, but she let the subject drop.

"Have any of you finished the Potions essay yet?" Neville asked them.

"That was due a week ago." Luna said casually.

"WHAT?!" Neville yelped, running out of the library to grab his unfinished essay.

It wasn't that he was bad at completing the work, outside of the classroom, Neville was rather good at potions, but he often forgot when assignments were due.

"So..." Ginny said to Lily, "So you have any plans for the Hogsmeade trip this weekend?"

Lily, who knew she couldn't go to Hogsmeade due to a lack of a guardian's permission, shook her head.

"You aren't going to Hogsmeade?" Lena asked her.

Lily looked down at the floor.

"I would, but I can't because I, um, don't have the permission slip signed." She said, embarrassed.

"Oh, why don't you ask my parents?" Lena asked.

"What?" Lily said, puzzled.

"They are your godparents." Lena explained, "They must have some sort of say in what you get to do."

"Oh..." Lily said, "Yeah, okay."

"Let's go now!" Ginny suggested, grabbing Lily's hand and pulling her down the hallway.

Lena giggled at her friend's antics and followed them out of the library with Luna trailing behind. When they reached the Lupin's office, Ginny knocked, while Lena simply opened the door.

"Hey dad, hey mum!" Lena beamed.

"What's up, Lena?" Remus asked, coming over to stand in front of the girls with Logan.

Lena looked good Lily, who grew nervous.

"Um, I was, um, wondering if..." Lily began.

She trailed off and Ginny gave her an encouraging smile.

"How can we help you?" Logan asked, kindly.

Lily took a deep breath.

"Aunt Marge didn't sign my permission slip for Hogsmeade, and I was wondering if... you could?" Lily asked softly.

"Of course!" Remus said, moving to his desk to search for a pen.

Logan put a hand on Lily's shoulder.

"We'd be delighted to help." She said.

"Thank you." Lily nodded.

"In fact." Logan said, "If you ever need anything, I want you to come straight to Remus and I."

"We care about you, Lil." Remus said, pulling out a pen and signing the slip.

"Lil?" Lily questioned.