Chapter Thirty Five:

When Viktor woke up with no memories of who stunned him, Harry was on more edge that before. He was now certain that someone was playing dirty in the tournament. Lily tried her best to support Harry, as well as help him practice his spells in preparation for the third and final task.

The day of the last task came too quickly. One minute Lily was painting signs with Deci and Lena, the next she was preparing to wish Harry good luck before the task began.

"Harry." Lily said to get her brother's attention.

"Lily!" He breathed out in relief.

"You're going to do great!" She tried to reassure him.

"I dunno, Lil, I just feel like something really bad is going to happen and I-"

Harry broke off as Lily hugged him tightly.

"No matter what happens, I believe in you." Lily promised.

Harry nodded. Lily opened her mouth to offer him more support, but was interrupted.

"Why don't you go ahead with the other champions, Harry?" Moody suggested, "Wouldn't want to be late!"

"Yeah, okay, bye Lil." Harry said, giving her arm a quick squeeze before hurrying away.

Lily turned to look at the Professor.

"You alright there, Lily?" Moody asked, watching her carefully.

Lily tilted her head as she stared at the Professor, trying to place just what was so off about him, and why he seemed to despise her so much.

"Yes." She eventually decided on, and began to turn to leave.

"Actually, I need your help with something." Moody said, "follow me."

"I was going to sit with my friends." Lily said quietly.

"Your friends can wait, can't they?" He replied, leaving and making Lily choose whether to follow him or not.

With a sigh, she decided she had better follow him, if for no other reason than ensuring he wasn't the one sabotaging the tournament. Moody walked around the side of the hedge, and out of Lily's view. She hurried after him and turned the corner, only to realize her grave mistake. Where they stood, they were hidden from the view of everyone else, and Moody had drawn his wand. Before Lily could so much as blink, she had been petrified.

"Obliviate!"

Lily opened her eyes in confusion to find herself laying on the grass, surrounded by hedges. Realization dawned upon her slowly- she was in the maze.

It was dark and misty, and next to her was the cup that was the trophy for winning the tournament. Lily's heart was beating faster as she drew her wand and looked around. There were several passageways leading away from the cup and potentially to freedom, but if she chose the wrong one, Lily could be lost in the dangers of the maze. She decided that since the cup was the end goal of the champions, she would remain by its side until one of the champions came to claim the prize.

Sitting down on the grass, Lily waited tensely. She couldn't remember how she got into the maze and the last thing she remembered was bidding Harry goodbye. Something about the whole situation felt very wrong, and not just because she wasn't supposed to be there.

Eventually, Lily heard distant shouts and running approaching the center of the maze where she sat. Lily jumped to her feet. Harry and Cedric were running side by side down one of the passages of the maze, the walls closeting in behind them as roots sprung up from the ground, trying to grab at them.

"Harry!" Lily yelled.

Harry spotted her, but just then, Cedric tripped, and fell to the ground. Harry paused for a moment before going back to help Cedric up. The two boys joined Lily in the center.

"I don't understand, what're you doing here?!" Harry asked.

"I don't know!" Lily cried.

"Is she real?" Cedric asked, "Maybe a boggart?"

"No, my boggart is a dementor." Harry denied, looking at his sister in confusion.

"I don't know what's going on!" Lily exclaimed.

Wind began to pick up around them and Harry took Lily's hand in his.

"Go on then." Harry said to Cedric, "Take the cup!"

Cedric shook his head.

"I wouldn't have made it if it weren't for you, you take it!" He yelled over the howling wind.

"Together then?" Harry yelled.

"Harry!" Lily warned as the winds began to pick up even more.

"Together!" Cedric confirmed.

Harry, still holding Lily's hand in one of his, grabbed the cup with his free hand at the same time as Cedric. Lily felt as if she was being sucked into a tube and her vision blurred before she was laying on the grass in a cemetery, next to her twin.

"What just happened?" Lily whispered.

Harry looked around as Cedric got to his feet and pointed his wand at something in the dark.

"There's something there." Cedric said.

"Get back to the cup!" Harry suddenly yelled before yelping in pain and clutching his forehead.

Lily hurried to his side.

"Show yourself!" Cedric commanded to the figure in the dark.

"Kill the spare." A horrible voice spoke up from the darkness.

"Avada Kadavra!"

"No!" Harry and Lily screamed together.

Cedric's body fell to the ground. Lily was hyperventilating and shaking when the figure in the dark cast a spell that bound her to a stature in the cemetery. She looked and saw the same had been done to Harry.

"Harry!" Lily cried out, before the figure who she now recognized as Peter Pettigrew, silenced her with another spell.

A sense of dread and horror befell upon Lily as she saw the bundle Peter held in his hands. There was a cauldron steaming nearby that Peter walked over to. Lily and Harry struggled against their bonds and Peter glanced up at the twins once quickly, and almost apologetically, before placing the bundle in the cauldron.

In her mind, Lily pleaded for the thing in the blanket to die in the water. It didn't. Peter walked over to Harry with a dagger. Lily fought to escape harder as he cut into Harry's arm and put the blood into the cauldron. The sound of Harry's cry brought tears to Lily's eyes.

Peter lifted his wand and bones from one of the graves lifted up. Then, he took a deep breath before lifting the dagger up and cutting off his own hand. Lily squeezed her eyes shut, but the image of it still burned into her mind. When she opened her eyes again, she wished she didn't, but paralyzed in fear she couldn't close them again.

The reborn body of Voldemort rose up in dark robes. Peter presented him with a wand.

"M-my lord-" Peter whimpered.

"Silence Wormtail. Let me call them." Voldemort's horrible voice hissed.

Peter slowly held out his arm with the Dark Mark on it. Voldemort lifted his wand and pressed it against the Mark. Seconds later, dark figures apperated into the cemetery. Death Eaters.

"After all these years... none of you tired to bring me back?" Voldemort questioned.

"My lord, I-" one of the Death Eaters stepped forward.

"Silence!" Voldemort shouted, and with the flick of his wand, the Death Eater fell to his knees and was unmasked as Lucius Malfoy.

Voldemort then turned to Harry and then Lily.

"Ah, yes, the Boy Who Lived, and his sister." He laughed darkly, "The last remaining Potters. You know, I did not come to Godric's Hollow with the intent kill the young Lily Potter as well as the Boy Who Lived... but I think murdering her now in front of you Harry, will be quite the poetic ending."