Chapter Forty Eight:

In the hallways, Hayden turned to Lily.

"So what we're you doing in the dungeons anyway?" She asked casually.

"Um, just trying to... well it sounds stupid, but I wanted to get to know some of the Slytherin students. I think the whole house rivalry thing is ridiculous." Lily explained.

"Ah, finally a progressive mind." Hayden said, "And that's not stupid at all. The execution of the plan probably would've gone better if you didn't run into that lot of Slytherins though."

"Yeah." Lily agreed.

"You surprised me though." Hayden continued, "I mean, you're a Potter. I don't even think Harry particularly tolerates any Slytherins, but you seek them out."

"I love my brother, but he can be stubborn at times. He got off on the wrong foot with Draco Malfoy and has had some prejudice ever since."

"Ah, the ancient Malfoy vs Potter rivalry." Hayden mused.

Lily nodded.

"I know them both, and neither is that bad on their own, but when it comes to pride..." Lily said.

"Boys are overrated anyway," Hayden said, shooting her a smile which Lily returned.

They stopped by the staircase out of the dungeons. Lily thought that would be it, that Hayden would turn and go then, but instead, she sat down on the stairs. After recovering from her surprise, Lily did the same.

"Glad these stairs don't move, am I right?" Hayden laughed.

Lily gave her a smile, before beginning to formulate a plan in her head.

"Hayden... what do you think of Umbridge's role here at Hogwarts?" She asked.

Hayden's face turned sour, which filled Lily with relief.

"Merlin, I hate that woman." Hayden said, "And her whole little squad thing is beyond stupidity- no offense to your boyfriend, of course."

"My-?" Lily's eyes widened in surprise, her plan flying out the window temporarily with shock.

"Draco." Hayden said, "If you two aren't dating yet, you should be."

"Why? What, um, makes you say that?" Lily asked uncertainly.

Hayden laughed.

"You're cute."

"Has he, um, talked about me a lot or something?" Lily guessed, "Because we're honestly just, um, friends, you know?"

Her heart was beating faster.

"No, he avoids talking about you for the most part. He actually talks about your brother more- complaining of course- not that they'd be that bad a couple if they could stand each other... but whenever someone mentions you, he gets this look on his face, and he's all protective and stuff. Like an 'if you so much as speak a single word against Lily Potter, I will hex you' kind of protective. And whenever you two are in the same room, he gives you dreamy eyes."

"That's... not true?" Lily said, blushing.

"Oh, you aren't so innocent either." Hayden said with a smirk, "I've heard that you tell off everyone who says ill of Draco."

"You... have?" Lily asked.

"Well, rumors spread like wildfires, especially ones about the popular kids like you." Hayden shrugged.

"I'm not popular," Lily replied immediately.

"Your brother is the rumored chosen one, how could you not be?"