Chapter Nineteen:

As soon as they got to the Dursley house, Dudley was sent up to his room. He didn't go without creating a huge fuss, but eventually he was out of the way. Then, Aunt Petunia sent Uncle Vernon to the living room and Harry to his bedroom. It was pretty obvious she wanted to talk to Lily alone.

"So, L-Lily... I um, wanted to tell you I didn't know... that Marge was treating you so poorly, and I-I'm sorry..." Aunt Petunia said awkwardly.

Lily looked down at her feet. There was a painful, long, drawn out silence.

"Harry said you kept him in a cupboard for ten years." Lily quietly said eventually.

"We were just-"

"You neglected him, used him, and hurt him emotionally." Lily added.

Aunt Petunia was silent.

"There is no excuse for what you did and I-... I know you are only treating me kindly because I look like my mum."

This time the silence was even longer.

"I know what we've done to Harry is wrong." Aunt Petunia said, "And I don't expect him or you to forgive us... to forgive me... I- I just can't do this!"

She stood up and began pacing, tears falling down her face.

"I couldn't stand Harry because he looked like him! That Potter took my sister away from me! Him and magic and Logan and Maya and Enna and- and- Harry, he looks just like him. And then you... you look like her... I never treated my sister right after I found out she was a witch. And I never got to apologize before she... died..."

Aunt Petunia sat back down with a sigh, putting her head in her hands, and refusing to look at Lily. Lily stares at her aunt.

"I miss her. I miss my sister. I miss Lily. I have said horrible things to her, said horrible things to her son... and I don't know what to do. I never meant for it to get so out of hand... I just... I can't even look him in the eyes. He has her eyes. If I ignore his eyes, he is just like James Potter, and I... I can't..."

"You were wrong." Lily mumbled.

Aunt Petunia glanced up, eyes full of tears.

"You- you were wrong to hurt my mum, and my brother, and to send me to Aunt Marge- even if you didn't know how she would treat me... you were wrong..."

The tears fell down her aunts face faster.

"And you know that." Lily continued, "You know you were wrong, and acknowledging your mistakes is the first step to fixing them. I don't... I don't expect you to be the aunt I've always dreamed of saving me. I just don't want you to hurt Harry again."

"I- I won't! I'll try harder, I'll do anything!"

Lily nodded and then left the room. She searched the house for her brother and found him in the smallest bedroom upstairs. Harry stood up when she entered the room.

"Did she give you a hard time?" He asked defensively.

"No, it's fine, Harry." Lily dismissed.

He didn't look quite convinced, but nodded his head.

"So, you can stay in here with me." Harry offered, "There's not much room, but we could probably fit a sleeping bag for me on the floor and you could take the bed."

Lily smiled.

"I love you Harry, and you're so thoughtful, but don't be silly." She said, "I've spent twelve years sleeping on a paper thin mattress, I'm used to it by now."