Chapter Twenty Three:

It was a while before Lily was able to track Draco back down again, and ensure his "friends" weren't with him. It seemed almost like he had been avoiding her.

"Hi." Lily greeted upon seeing him, finally alone in the library.

"Oh, hi." He said, looking embarrassed.

"You okay?" She asked.

"I'm fine." Draco said, "How are you?"

"I'm okay. Look, I wanted to say, I know it's not my fault exactly, but I'm still sorry about what Professor Moody did to you."

If possible, Draco turned even more red.

"It's fine." He said quickly.

Lily didn't look convinced, but moved onto another subject she had wanted to talk about.

"When will you and Harry stop hating each other?" She asked.

"Haha, very funny."

Lily frowned.

"You're being serious?" Draco asked.

She nodded.

"I'll stop when he does." He shrugged.

"But that's never going to happen!" Lily sighed, "You're both too prideful to be the one to stop."

"Prideful? I'm not prideful."

"Hm."

"Okay, maybe a little... but if Harry hadn't marched up to me like it was illegal for me to have a conversation with you, then none of that would've happened."

"Why were you going to hex Harry, anyways?" Lily tilted her head in confusion, "We were leaving."

"Well, he was very rude." Draco said, before adding in a quieter voice, "And he hurt you."

"You saw that?" She asked.

"Yeah. I know he was just trying to get you away from me, but he shouldn't have grabbed you like that." Draco said.

"Harry gets carried away when he's angry." Lily said, "And it didn't hurt that bad, just surprised me."

"Still."

"...yeah, I guess you're right."

"When am I not?" Draco smirked.

Lily rolled her eyes. Then, the two were spotted.

"Hey, Lily!" December chirped, sitting down next to them with a large book that she held in front of her face.

"...hi Deci." Lily said, confused.

"I'm still not allowed in here." December explained.

"Oh."

"Who's he? Oh, wait, I know you!" She continued, "You're Harry's enemy, the guy who got turned into an animal! What was it, a hamster?"

"Ferret." Lily corrected.

Draco winced.

"If it's any consolation, you were rather cute." Lily said.

"You think I'm cute?" He immediately asked.

Lily blushed.

"As a ferret, I mean." She said.

"Oh no, guys, don't talk to me!" December interrupted, "She's coming!"

"Who...?" Draco began.

"Madam Pince." Lily whispered as the librarian drew closer.