Chapter Seventeen:

There was a blinding flash of light and two animals made of pure light appeared to fend off the dementors. A stag and a fox. When all the dementors were gone, Harry and Lily glanced at each other.

"Oh my gosh." Lily whispered in shock.

They hugged each other. Hermione slowly came out of the trees.

"Come on, we have to hide again before Professor Snape gets here!" Hermione reminded them.

They did as she asked and hid in the bushes.

"I can't believe it." Lily whispered.

"I know." Harry grinned, "It was us."

"How'd you do it?" Hermione asked, curiously, "There we're so many of them."

"I just... couldn't let us die." Harry said.

"And I couldn't let him die." Lily said.

Hermione stared at the twins in awe. She then, cleared her throat.

"Right then... shall we go save Sirius?" She asked.

And they were off again. They flew Buckbeak up to the office Sirius was kept in and broke him out. When they were back on the ground, Hermione stood to the side so that the Potters could have their moment with him in peace.

"I'm sorry we had to meet this way." Sirius said, gazing at the children of his best friends, "Your parents would be so proud of who you've grown up to be... you look like them, you know. James and Lily."

"Thank you." Lily smiled.

"When can we see you again?" Harry asked.

"I don't know." Sirius frowned, "I reckon I have a few things to do first, like telling Maya I'm not the crazed criminal she thought I was..."

"About that, what's with you two?" Harry questioned.

"That has yet to be determined." Sirius said, winking.

"Good luck." Lily said, "Stay safe."

Sirius mounted Buckbeak. He gave the twins a salute.

"Oh, and enjoy your trip to Hogsmeade, Harry!" Sirius said, giving the boy a knowing look.

"You mean you-?!" Harry began, only to be cut off by Buckbeak taking off, flying away into the night.

Lily and Harry held hands as they watched their parents best friend fly off and disappear into the clouds.

"I'll miss him." Harry admitted, taking a hand through his hair.

"We'll see him again." Lily said, though she agreed with Harry's statement.

The three made their way back to the hospital wing and walked through the doors. Ron sat up in his bed, alert and confused.

"What the bloody hell just happened?" He asked.

Hermione laughed. They quietly explained their adventure to him, and it wasn't long until raised voices were heard outside the hospital wing.

"-must have been you, Logan!" A man was yelling.

"I saw with her the whole time." Snape replied, fiercely, "She is innocent!"

"What of the kids?! What if they-"

"They were here in the hospital wing, ask Madam Pomfrey if you don't believe us." Logan replied, "Sirius is gone."

There was a loud, frustrated noise from the minister of magic. Before the students heard him storm away. Logan walked in through the doors.

"Are you kids okay?!" She asked, checking each of them over for any injuries.

"We're okay." Harry said.

Logan nodded before lowering her voice.

"And Sirius?"

"He got away." Hermione confirmed.

Logan grinned. She embraced the teenagers.

"I can never thank you enough. I spent twelve years believing my best friend betrayed me... thank you for proving me wrong." Logan said, teary eyed.

Lily offered her a smile.

The end of term was approaching quickly when it was discovered that Remus and Logan Lupin were leaving Hogwarts. Upset, Harry took Lily up to see the two Defense Against the Dark Arts teachers.

"You can't leave!" Harry said, barging through the door.

The two professors jumped.

"Why don't you take a seat, Harry?" Remus offered.

"But you two are the brat Defense Against the Dark Arts teachers we've had!" Harry protested.

"Please don't go." Lily agreed, in a softer tone than her brother.

"We have to." Logan said, before glancing at her husband.

Remus sighed.

"Word has gotten out about my... condition." He explained.

"But you can't help it!" Harry cried.

"I know, but parents won't want a werewolf teaching their children. And I couldn't live with myself if I forgot to take my potion again and ended up hurting a student." Remus said.

"Who told?" Harry asked after a moment of silence.

"Now, Harry-" Remus began.

"It was Snape, wasn't it?"

"Harry, he didn't mean to." Logan said, "He was talking to me, and didn't know students were waiting outside his office. It was an accident."

Harry didn't look like he believed her.

"Why were you talking to Snape?" He asked.

Lily also looked over at Logan with curiosity.

"I wanted to- um, discuss matters with him." Logan said, "But never mind that. Are you two all packed up? The train'll be leaving soon."

Harry nodded his head, looking rather sad.

"I'll miss you both." Lily spoke up, causing the teachers to look at her in surprise.

She was never one for much words, so when she spoke, they took her words to heart.

"Thank you, Lil." Logan smiled.

Lily flashed her a shy smile back.

"Oh, come here!" Logan said, hugging the girl before moving onto her brother.

Remus did the same.

"And if you ever need anything, let us know." He said as the two siblings left their office.

Harry and Lily walked side by side back down the hallway to meet their friends in the Great Hall. Lily was fidgety as they walked, and she was growing paler with every step.

"Everything okay, Lil?" Harry asked.

"I- um, yes..." She responded.

Harry studied her carefully.

"I wish we could both go back to the Dursley's. I reckon you'd make staying there over the summer more bearable."

"Thanks, Harry." Lily replied.

They boarded the train and Lily was walking behind Harry when she spotted Draco sitting alone in a compartment. She waited until they passed the compartment before announcing that she would be right back.