Chapter Fifty Three:

"Today's lesson is on patronuses!" Harry announced to the DA.

"Ooh!" The students gasped.

Harry performed his patronus, and then prompted the others to try. Lily's fox patronus began to roam around the room, and after a few tries, Ron, Luna, and December were able to produce their patronuses.

"A bird?" December frowned at her patronus a bit, "I was expecting a unicorn or something."

The bluebird patronus flew over to her and hopped onto her shoulder.

"Alright, I guess a bird's not so bad." She took it back, "I'll name you Felix!"

Lily laughed along with a few others. Ron produced a dog patronus and Luna a rabbit. After a few more tires, Hermione was able to produce an otter for a few moments.

"Don't you want to practice?" Lily asked Lena, who seemed to be in a daze.

"Huh? Oh! Nope, I'm- I'm good." Lena said quickly, "My parents already taught me."

Ginny walked by and Lena gave her an awkward wave when she looked over.

"And you don't want to make one again?" Lily asked her, confused.

"I-I just, uh..." Lena trailed off as realization hit Lily.

"It's alright, Lena." She said kindly, "You don't have to do anything right now. Whenever you're ready, I'll be here for you."

"Thanks." Lena blushed, having a feeling that Lily was speaking about more than just patronuses.

Hermione had just managed to produce her patronus again, when they all heard a sudden loud bang from outside the room. The patronuses flickered away. There was a moment where it was deadly silent.

"She knows, run!" Harry yelled, but it was too late, because Umbridge and her Inquisitorial Squad were blowing up the wall and students were running everywhere.

Some managed to get away, but others didn't. Lily felt someone grab her arm harshly and looked to see Goyle.

He roughly dragged her to outside Dumbledore's office, with the other caught students. Lily didn't struggle against him, but that didn't stop him from pushing her roughly.

"Ow." Lily complained.

"Shut up, freak." Goyle snapped.

Lily rolled her eyes and then made eye contact with Draco. He looked at her with an incredibly guilty expression. He was one of the only students on the squad who wasn't restraining another student. Draco walked over to Goyle.

"I can take her." He said.

"What? Why-"

"I said, I can take her!" Draco growled, and Goyle let go of Lily, sulking over to harass someone else.

Draco stepped up to her, concern written all over his face.

"You alright?" He asked.

"Been better." Lily replied.

"Why didn't you tell me?" Draco asked, voice low.

"I'm sorry." She apologized, "But I couldn't."

He didn't say anything else, because he understood what she meant. Lily looked at Draco and it occurred to her the at he wasn't going to restrain her. She gently took his hand and placed it on her arm. Luckily, no one was watching. Draco startled at her touch.

"What're you doing?" He whispered.

"Making it look more believable." She shrugged.

He never felt more guilty than he did in that moment.

"Lily-"

"Bring in the Potters!" Umbridge demanded.

Draco's hand gripped Lily's arm a bit tighter, not wanting her to go, but she stepped forward at the same time Harry was shoved forwards. Harry shook his head at her.

"No, it's not Lily's fault-" Harry began.

"Silence!" Umbridge shrieked, "I've had enough of you Potters, this is the end of the line!"

Harry and Lily were pushed forwards and Umbridge marched them into Dumbledore's office. There, the minsiter of magic and Kingsley stood, next to Dumbledore himself.

"Just as I suspected, Minister, the Potters have created a secret rebellion!" Umbridge declared.

"It wasn't Lily-" Harry tried to speak again, but this time it was Dumbledore who interrupted him.

"No, it was not Lily's doing, nor Harry's." He said.

"...what?" Umbridge asked.

"The parchment." Dumbledore spoke calmly, pointing out to the parchment with the names of the students in Dumbledore's Army crumpled up in Umbridge's grasp.

She handed it over reluctantly.

"See here, Minsiter, 'Dumbledore's Army', not 'The Potter's Army'." Dumbledore explained.

"What?! It was you who formed this group?!" Cornelius Fudge gawked.

"Yes."

"That's- that's- arrest him!" Fudge yelled.

"Ah, you see, that's where I'm afraid we run into a bit of a snag." Dumbledore said, "I have no intentions of 'coming quietly'."

Before Fudge could speak, Dumbledore flicked his wand and the majority of the room crumpled to the floor. Harry and Lily looked at Dumbledore with surprise and shock.

"What're you doing, sir?!" Harry asked.

"You had nothing to do with this." Lily added, equally confused.

"That's for us to know, and them to not." Dumbledore said.

"But-" Harry protested.

"Now Harry, I'm afraid I must cut our time short." Dumbledore announced, "Until we meet again."

Then everyone on the ground woke up to find Dumbledore missing. Fudge grumbled to himself as he stood, and Umbridge was flabbergasted.

"You may not like it Minister, but you have to admit," Kingsley said, "Dumbledore's got style."

Fudge recovered from his disbelief and named Umbridge the new headmaster of Hogwarts before leaving with Kingsley, but not before Harry and Lily were released from the office with a detention from Umbridge. The twins made it outside and they and their friends were allowed to leave, being sentenced to a month's worth of detentions. Lily saw Draco watching her worriedly out of the corner of her eyes, but didn't say anything to him. She didn't want to risk him getting into trouble too.

Harry and Lily made it back to the Gryffindor Common Room, and sat down on the couch.

"How did she know?" Harry asked Hermione.

"Uh, Cho's friend told on us." Hermione said.

"Right." Harry's mouth was in a tight line.

"I don't think Cho-" Hermione began.

"It's fine, Hermione." Harry dismissed, "I'm over her."

Lily casually glanced at Ginny who masked her expressions well.

"I'm sorry." Harry apologized to the group.

"What're you apologizing for, mate?" Ron asked.

"This is my fault."

"No." Hermione said, "We did this together. We're in this together."

Harry just looked down. Eventually they decided to give Harry his space, and everyone left the room except for Lily, who sat down on the couch next to her brother.

"It is my fault, Lil." Harry said, "You could've been expelled."

"But I wasn't." Lily reassured him.

"And now you've got detention with Umbridge for a month."

"Harry... when are you finally going to understand?" Lily asked, "I'm with you until the very end, okay? I'm not leaving you. Ever."

Harry didn't reply verbally, but rested his head on her shoulder.