Chapter Fifty Five:

Lily was not accustomed to riding on the back of a thestral, but she managed on hold on and stay on adequately enough. When they reached an entrance to the Ministry of Magic, they dismounted.

"So freaky." Ron said, "It's like riding on nothing."

"I thought it was fun!" December said optimistically.

"Course you did." Ron said, "I just wish I could see them."

There was a silence as his words registered.

"Oh! No! I didn't mean-" Ron said frantically.

"It's okay, Ron." Lily reassured, "Let's get in and find Sirius."

Without anymore talking, the nine students made their way to an elevator and entered the Ministry of Magic. Harry led the way, recognizing the corridor of the Department of Mysteries from his visions. Lily was still concerned about him neglecting to inform her about them, but knew now wasn't the time to discuss it. Harry led them into a large circular chamber lined with doors. That caused him to finally falter from his determined stride. The door behind them closed and the room spun, mixing up the doors.

Now they stood in the room with no idea where they were going or where they came from.

"Which one?" Lena whispered.

"I don't know." Harry said, eyes flickering among the doors for any clues.

"I guess we just try one then?" Hermione strode forward and twisted the knob of one of the doors.

They peeked over her shoulder into the room. It was a bit dark, but there were tanks full of what appeared to be human brains.

"Creepy." December decided, cringing.

"Not this one then." Ron said, even though it was obvious, and they left the doorway.

"Wait!" Hermione exclaimed, marking the door with a slash courtesy of her wand.

The doors spun again, but this time they knew which one led to the brains.

"Process of elimination." She shrugged when everyone gaped at her brilliance.

Luna wandered over to another door. She pressed her ear against the wood and frowned.

"Harry, try this one." She suggested.

Harry did, and this time it led to a large chamber with an archway draped in curtains in the center. Most of them shifted uneasily on their feet as Harry entered the room, but Lily was focused on something else.

"You hear that?" Harry asked, glancing at where stood by his side.

She nodded, eyes drifting to the archway.

"Hear what? I don't hear anything." Neville said nervously.

"Me neither." Ron shrugged.

"Voices. I hear them too." Luna supplied to those who couldn't hear them.

The ones who couldn't hear them looked between the arch and their friends with unease. December took a step forward.

"You know, hearing voices is a sign of madness." She said before adding quickly, "Not that I believe that! I just happen to know what people classify as the signs of madness, because you know, I'm sorta, you know... and people tend to say, you know, stuff, and I- I'm going to stop talking now."

She awkwardly slumped to the back. Harry, Lily, and Luna still watched the archway. Hinny stepped forward and placed a calming hand on Harry's shoulder. He looked at her.

"He's not here, let's look somewhere else." She suggested gently.

They agreed, slowly leaving the door but not before Hermione marked the door. Their was an unsettling feeling in Lily's bones after seeing that room. She didn't know why, but had no particular desire to find out why. Swallowing, she watched as her friends picked another door. This time when it opened, Harry jumped towards it.