Chapter Forty Five:

Lily found Draco hiding behind a bookshelf. When he spotted her, his eyes widened and he tried to appear as if he had been casually looking for a book.

"Hi." Lily said.

"Oh, hi." He replied.

"Were you trying to avoid me?" She asked.

"What?"

"Were you?"

He looked defeated.

"Yes." Draco sighed.

Lily nodded and looked down at the floor. She had a strong feeling she knew exactly why he had been trying to avoid her.

"Look, it's just that, um, things have been tense, you know? I heard about the dementors, and with everything the prophet is saying about you and Potter, I thought... I dunno, I guess I thought you'd be mad at me." He shrugged.

"I'm not mad at you." Lily informed him, "Although I am a bit annoyed that every time something happens your solution is to hide from me."

"Ah- yes. I can see how that would be... annoying." Draco said.

"Please don't do it again. We're friends, we can get through this." Lily said.

Draco suddenly glanced around them, looking paranoid.

"There's no one near here besides us." Lily said.

"Right." He said.

They both were silent for a moment. Being friends before seemed a lot easier. Now it started to feel more and more like they were being pulled away from each other and onto opposing sides.

"You aren't going to ask me to leave?" Draco suddenly asked her.

"Leave?" She repeated, puzzled.

"Leave my family and all the dark stuff." He clarified.

"Draco, you're a good friend and I don't want you to get hurt by those people who do awful things... but I know you love them, I can't ask you to leave your family."

"I couldn't." Draco said sadly.

"I know." Lily said.

"No, but I wish there was another way, but I couldn't." He repeated.

"I know."

"Lily... what are we going to do?" Draco asked.

"That I don't know." She admitted, "But we will find a way."

They both knew that her statement was too full of hope for a time like this, but neither said a word against it.

"When's your next class?" Draco asked.

"Not for a while, I got, um, kicked out of the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom." Lily mumbled.

"You what?!"

"Shh!"

"You, Lily the rule follower, got kicked out of class?!"

"Yes, okay?! Please lower your voice!" She begged.

"Wow. What'd you do?" Draco asked her, trying to hide his amusement.

"I just spoke the truth." Lily said, "I backed Harry up about the, um, graveyard thing, and also told her that mental illnesses are not fake."

Draco's amused look fell. He looked more sympathetic now.

"I'm sorry." He said.

"She talked about- ... the whole attic thing."