Chapter 2

ALANA

It's been a week since our eventful night out. It's Friday, the day we get the results. Maybe my alcohol tolerance has diminished since I don't drink often anymore. My evenings out are usually a movie or dinner with the girls. But on Friday I finally agreed to paint the town red. I changed at my friend Pat's flat. The girls bought me the dress so I can let loose, I hated it because I couldn't rock it with any underwear, but I looked too hot in it. I'm miss boring so this was my coming out and going away party.

Going away because apparently I've been talking about Mr South Africa so much, it was obvious I was going to hibernate with him until he goes back in 6 months time. Just thinking about being locked up with him excites me.

When we got to the club, the food and the drinks were flowing. I know I told butty I only had 1 drink. But I like the guy, I didn't want to look like an alcoholic. I certainly didn't expect him to take me to hospital though. Imagine. Josh is so tall and muscled I just wanted him to pick me up. Nothing is hotter than a man that looks like he can carry his load. Maybe instead of Butty I can call him Kilimanjaro or Himalayas or Everest. I've been fantasizing about that man everyday, all day. It's starting to scare me. When he called I had the phone in my hand. I was ready to call him to test the waters. I wish I remember how it feels like to be in his arms. To be kissed by him.

It's after work and Sam drives us to the hospital for our appointment. We get to the doctor's rooms. I am nervous as hell.
Dr: Afternoon my favourite couple. Let me get to the results. Ms Phillips you had alcohol in your system and the fact that there were still remnants of it in the morning, means you had quite a bit to drink the night before. Your system was also positive for Rohypnol better knows as ruffis. Basically what it means is that you were an impressionable, horny, semi conscious bumbling woman. You must fast and thank the Lord for being with a man that brings you here for a check up instead of molesting you to oblivion.
My tears gave way in the middle of that speech. My face was glued to the floor.

Senzo

I can't believe what the doctor is saying right now. She wouldn't have even known what happened when she woke up in the morning. Look at God, taking a man  thousands of kilometres away just to save her. I was brought here for this. Angithi anikholwa when the bible says all things. Not some but all, even the hurtful ones or the ones that make me bleed or smile, work together for good.

I am here. I saved her on Friday and I think I want to continue to save her. I put my finger on her chin and lift her face.
Me: Lana, it will be ok.
Her: ......
Me: Baby please. It will be ok
I pick her up and walk out. Everyone is starring, but honestly I don't give a hoot. When Sam spots me, he brings the car closer and opens the door. I help her in and join her.
Me: My house Sam.
It's starting to drizzle. It's a good thing it's weekend and I have nothing scheduled for the weekend. My staff is off. She hasn't lifted her head from my shoulder.

I carry her in and go straight to my room. I put the her on the settee I placed under the skylight. She just sits there and watches the rain. I change into sweats and join her. I hold her so tight and she starts to sob. After a while she lifts her face to look at me.

Her: Joshua, it wasn't the first time....

ALANA

Joshua: What do you mean by that. What do you mean it wasn't the first time?
Me: It's not the first time I don't remember anything after a drinking spell. Everytime I go out in the evening, I end up not remembering half the night. I wake up in my bed because Sam drops me at home. That's one of the reasons he drives me now.

I actually stopped drinking and partying because after Sam started following me around I'd still have blackouts. Not as many, but I'd need a friend to carry me to the car. I don't go on dates I only trust my girls. I just thought it was because I couldn't handle my alcohol. Oh Joshua what has been happening to me?

I told you I can't stop talking around him. That monologue was 2 hours long.

Joshua: Look it's worrying. But we'll get to the bottom of it.
Me: Are you sure?
Joshua: Yes. Now can we continue watching the rain. This is beautiful. Calming.
I'm still firmly resting on his chest. It feels so comfortable here. I don't want to leave.

Joshua: Buthelezi, Shenge, Sokwalisa
Me: What?
Him: No butty.
Him: Choose from the 3. My clan names. You can't make them shorter. Let me send them to you via whatsapp, then you can practice in front of the mirror. I'm a Zulu man Alana and proud of it. Those are the names of my forefathers. Ok?
He is so serious as he is speaking about his people. I listen attentively.
Me: Ok, I promise. You said Joshua was your second name. What is your first name.
He smiles
Him: Senzo
Me: Senzo. Not so hard. Senzo. Senzo.

We continue watching the water sliding down. It's gotten worse. I decide to call my mom:
Me: Mommy are you seing this weather?
Mom: Yes dear and I don't want you in the rain.
Me: That's why I was calling mommy. I'll come back in the morning.
Mom: Where are you
Me: Ask no questions and hear no lies mommy.
We giggle a bit
Her: Yes darling.. I have to go, good night, your dad needs me. We suddenly have the house to ourselves all evening and
Me: No no no. I don't want to hear of your ecapades. Bye ma

I look at the man in front of me.
Me: I'm all yours. What do we do now?
He just looks in my eyes. Deep in my soul, and just holds me close. This man right here is such a gem. I wonder why he's so far from home. I let out an involuntary sigh.

JOSHUA

I look at this gorgeous tiny being in my arms. I can see her mind is mind is working overtime.
Me: I have a 4 month old daughter, she was supposed to come visit me this past week but she caught a cold. Her fever was too unstable so her mom decided to cancel the trip.
I can see her face fall. She's trying hard to hide her emotions, but I can see through her. She looks down but she tries to recover quickly.
Her: Ncooo that's too bad I would have loved to meet them.
I smile internally. More like smirk
Me: Yes, my mom wanted to meet you too. I'm sure princess will enjoy your company.
I am enjoying watching her go through various emotions. This girl here is life I tell you. She has laid herself bare for me. Her heart is on her sleeve. I can tell she wants me. But she is so fragile and I'm still healing from you know who. Ok so maybe 2 wounded souls can come together and create magic.

In the meantime I'm a man I have needs...