Chapter 19

MICHAEL

Noone can ever fully understand powers out there in the world. I was not a firm believer in the supernatural, but God and my ancestors fetched me from Berlin, Germany to bring their long lost son home. My name is Michael Sambulo Zikalala the first born son of Moses and Samira Zikalala. I am the oldest because I'm a whole 5 minutes older than Matt.

MEMORY

I was sitting in my office in Berlin when I got an international call. It was one of the top 5 big construction companies in South Africa. I was already tired of Europe so I was intrigued by the offer.

Our family believes that Matt and I live in the same city in England but we moved over 3 years ago. He is a practicing gynecologist in the states, while I moved to Germany. We never faught, in fact we still talk to each other minimum twice a day.

I'm in South Africa for the final meeting with Aveng and something in me wants to communicate with my other half. We have grown to understand that even our spirits are in tune with one another. So I call.
Me: Bro what's up?
Him: Are you ready.
Me: It's all done I'm just here to sign the contract.
Him: I'm happy for you baby bro.
I chuckle.
Me: I just stepped out of my room. Headed to the lift. I will call...
Suddenly my chest tightened.
Me: Matt help!!
I only woke up in a hut in KZN with a different name and surname.
.
.
.

That feels like such a lifetime away. Today I just got a breakthrough in the search for my baby sister. I knew my second degree in computer science would come in handy one day. I managed to finally crack her phone and I got a location. It's been weeks without her and everyone is stressed out. The last time her number was active she sent the folks a message telling them she's ok and will be back soon.

I stop my car at a taxi rank in Randburg following the phone's find me signal. IPhones are so advanced.

ALANA

I wake up ready to take on the world. I love this construction site, it reminds me of home. I'm not showing yet but I'm already in my second trimester my bump is behaving. I haven't taken off my engagement ring so the guys know I'm taken, but they treat me like a delicate egg. I'm gifted with magwinyas every morning, all because one of the guys saw me breakdown when I found them sold out. So now they have a schedule, as long as "princess" Luthando gets her fill.

JOSHUA

I've had to teach Sue how to make me amagwinya because it's all I want to eat. I used to hate them, but all of a sudden, it's my daily fix. I even had to increase my gym time, my heart can't come back and find me fat. Yes uzobuya. I'm not losing her because of that fool ex that didn't appreciate my love. I was such a fool, taking advantage of Lana's soft heart. Samu misses her more, you can tell when she looks longingly at the door. I must find her.

Work is going great. Too great if you ask me. I am managing 5 sites, about to add a sixth because of a new project I just bagged. I was made for this but I'm a walking zombie. I just want my girl back.

JABHILE

Him: It's pinging off her.
I'm sitting at my stall. Ngisabuke lobhuti omuhle.
Him: Sorry lady. Please give me the phone.
Me: What phone?
Him: If you don't give it nicely. I will take it by force.
Uyangijwayela lo. Akakwazi nokukhuluma kahle nomuntu. I continue to serve my customers. He moves his phone up and down my body. Then he puts his ice cold hand in my bra and yanks out the phone.
Me: Hey that is mine.
Him: Show me the receipt.
I look down
Him: Bye bitch
And with that no more smart phone.

I finish my dough for the day and head out.

After my Zumba class, I shower, change into my work clothes, apply heavy make up, put on a wig and head to the mall into Stutterfords. I clock in at the back and head to the perfume counter.

I work 11:00 to 20:00 5 days a week. When my boss put me on this shift, she thought she was punishing me; but I'm greatful because I get time to sell at the rank in the morning. Thuli paid her to start at 07:00. Janet paid her to not come in on Sundays. There has to be 2 of us daily. I prefer working with Nhlanhla and today I'm with him. So I can man the make-up counter as well. I didn't need to study beauty therapy. It comes natural to me.

Boss: Your wig is not straight.
I don't have the energy for Nthabiseng today.
Me: Sorry mam. I head to the staff room and fix myself up.
I'm so depressed. I had managed to download so much study material on that phone. I was looking forward to being an A studend this semester. I'm 22 years old. First year social sciences student. Without a laptop I managed to submit all my assignments. I was excited I'd be able to study for my exams. No wonder the poor lady ran away from these people. That hot man is so rude.

By 20:00 Im dog tired and walk to the transport.