Chapter 8

ALANA

This could not be any weirder. We have never been spiritual. What the hell were these parents doing to us? We didn't do church. Didn't go to traditional healers. We just lived. I only picked up church now in my twenties. God hears me, speaks to me. But I can't explain today's occurrences.

The funny man, now I know is Mr Zulu blows smoke in Michael's and my dad's faces, after a few moments my dad stirs. He sits up on the bed and my mom rushes to him. They hold each other for the longest time. They have a lot of explaining to do. My past, my foundation is fiction. Made up. I don't know my mom's side of the family or my dad's. It's always been just us. They said their families were against their union and they just cut them out. I'm just waiting to hear this.

Michael is still not awake, but all the testing and prodding, showed nothing.
Mr Zulu: We have to go home. AboMvelase basifuna ekhaya. Kufuneka uyonyathela emagcekeni obabomkhulu bakho.(The ancestors want you to step on your ancestral ground. We are going home)
I don't know what he just said, but he is looking at my dad and the bastard nods. So he even understands this language.
Dad: Let's go children

SENZO

I miss my wife. I miss my wife. Hell I miss my wife. She doesn't have a South African sim yet, so we chat when she has WiFi.

My phone rings it's a +2711... so it's definitely home.
Me: Hello
Lana: Hi baby
Me: This phone number looks good on you.
Lana: What?
Me: Well, the South African number baby. You know once we're married, you will have a South African number. My parents are there.

She lets out a heavy sigh. I start freaking out because we haven't spoken about this. Shit. She sighs again.

Me: Baby what's wrong?
Lana: Look Josh I will try call you later. I need to get going. We are leaving the hospital now.
Me: Wait, how is your brother?
Her: Who is my brother? Bye baby I love you.
She hangs up, at least she still loves me. I miss my wife. I love my wife. Let me text her.

Sms: No matter how hard things get. No matter how bleak it looks. It will get better. Nothing lasts forever. U gona be ok. I love you.

Blue ticks. Offline. I wana be there for her. But for now she needs me here. Let me finish this project.

ANDILE

To say things are a mess is an understatement!!! The shock I got when I walked into the hospital ward and found myself lying on the bed. I almost fell over. Patel had to assure me that I wasn't hallucinating. To make matters worse another replica walked in when I was in Shakir's office!!! When dad's lookalike walked in, it all made sense. This had to be the brother that joined APLA and disappeared. I called ubaba to come to Johannesburg, but turns out they were already here, his traditional healer told him to pack up and come to Jozi last week already. Zulu's power is unmatched.

Now, there is nothing physically wrong with the me patient, it is all spiritual. When I was studying his charts it looked like he required a quadruple bypass. But now it turns out he was supposed to collapse so he could be attended by my friend and require my assistance. I am at the reception with his father completing the discharging process. We are on our way home. We put the lifeless body in an ambulance, I know he's fine, I just need him comfortable.

The convoy of cars leaves Gauteng, all the way to Matatiele. I'm travelling with my wife, the twins and our nanny in the car. My boys are now 6 months old.

Me: Baby I love you
Penny: Me too love. You know all will work out.
Me: I don't know sthandwa sam, I don't understand why uncle Moses stayed away this long. It just doesn't make sense.
Penny: I know love. But I'm sure he has a valid reason.

NARRATED

The convoy arrives at the Zikalala compound. Babu Zulu get's off the car first. He walks into his ancestral hut and returns nekhamba ne shoba. He starts chanting and spraying muthi all over the yard. He calls for the men to follow him. The second uncle Moses' feet touch the soil, he faints again and has to be carried in. They go into his hut, sit in a circle and the 2 passed out men are laid in the centre.

The women are lead into the main house and settle in the lounge.
Mrs Zikalala: Welcome to my home ladies.
Mrs Phillips: How long have you been married into this family ?
Mrs Z: Since 1982
Mrs Phillis: That's almost 40 years ago. Congratulations. How many children?
Mrs Z: 6. Our youngest is 34. I can see you are trying to calculate. Don't you will injure your brain. 1 set of twins. The oldest, boys. Then triplets all girls. Then the last born boy.
Mrs P: We have the 34 year old twin boys and my last born daughter. She's 24.
Mrs Z: 10 year gap!!!
Mrs P: The baby was just not coming. We had given up when she finally showed up. The ladies are overly stressed but the little laughter and light conversation is making them forget their stress.
Mrs Z: But the genes in this house are strong. I can't believe all their children look like them
Mrs P: We were just carriers.
They burst out laughing.
A lady walks in; bringing a dish to wash hands. Then she comes back with their food. After the meal, the nanny walks in with the boys who are now wide awake. Mrs P takes one.
Mrs P: Hello cute one. Even they look like them. We are in trouble here.
Penny: I know right!!! You can just tell who is here on contract.
More laughter.

IN BABU ZULU HUT

The men are gathered there with no shoes or tops on. Zulu instructs Matt to join his father and brother in the circle. He gives him something to drink and he immediately falls asleep with them.
Zulu: Umuthi walentokazi yakwa Lerole did this. Ubunamandla impela. Makehlangana nomaqondana wakhe kusuleke konke. Kwahamba nemvelaphi yakhe. Kudingeka umsebenzi wenhlambuluko. Kudingeka sihlabe inkomo manje ahlambuluke. Ekuseni samkela umakoti namazinyane akhe.( The spell from the Lerole witch caused this. The second he met his wife he lost his memory. His system reset. We need to slaughter a cow tonight for his cleansing. In the morning we welcome his wife and children)

The men go to the kraals and slaughter a cow. Babuzulu performs the cleansing ceremony for Babu Moses and burns the remainder of the cow to ashes.

In the morning Mrs Phillips is taken to the kraal to stab a cow. To welcome her to the family bile is poured on her and she is officially a makoti here. Goats are slaughtered to welcome each of their children.

Iziphandla are put on their wrists.
Bab Zulu: Sambulo Michael Zikalala. Usuwufezile owakho umsebenzi. Vuka manje.( You have fulfilled your assignment. Wake up)
He opens his eyes and sits up.
Bab Zulu: Moses Sbusiso Zikalala. Usubuyile ekhaya. Vuka(Welcome home. Wake up)
He does the same
Bab Zulu: Sbongiseni Matthew Zikalala vuka ndodana usekhaya manje.(You are home. Wake up)
Bab Zulu: Woza(Come) Luthando Alana Zikalala.

Mr Phillips steps out of the hut with his wife and children. He is overwhelmed by so much emotions. He runs to his twin brother and holds him for the longest

❤️ BE SAFE OUT THERE ❤️
❤️ REMEMBER TO SOCIAL DISTANCE& MASK UP❤️