Chapter 18

ALANA

I arrived in Port Elizabeth very late last night. It was supposed to be an 11 hour drive but it took me over 15. Atleast I had already booked myself a room at the Holiday Inn close to The Boardwalk. I'm now sitting down on the bed watching the ocean. The hotel is beautiful but I have a few appointments to view some houses to rent. I want to be settled by the time I start work in a little over a week. Josh is due back in Dar soon. I miss him, but he needs to heal from whatever hold Penny has on him. I believed him when he said nothing happened. But I'm disappointed by his scheming. I look at my phone and smile. It is not the fancy iPhone I had but a black brick. I can't help but salivate when I think about how I ended up with it.

MEMORY

I was picking up my car at the dealership and it happened to be close to a taxi rank. A beautiful smell called me and I just had to have whatever it was that was inside that rank. I was a bit too early because I wanted to leave town so I was still waiting for them to open. The salesperson promised to open at 6 but I was still waiting.

I follow the smell and it leads me to a crowd all facing one direction, trying to catch the attention of whoever is in front of them. When the crowd clears I approach the lady sitting down.
Me: Hi
Her: Good morning
Me: Are those nice?
Her: The best. Here taste 1.
I take it and bite it.
Me: Wow this is amazing thank you.
I give her a 50 for 5 more. I refuse the change because what I'm eating is the best thing I've ever tasted. I wish she could teach me how to make them, plus I'm on a mission.
Me: I need a favour. Please take this phone. I can't keep it and it's too pretty to be thrown in the bin.
She looks at it and smiles and packs me more magwinyas as she calls them.
Me: Thank you, you are so kind.
Her: No. You take care of you. Wait here is my number. Please call me when you need help or just when you need an ear.
I take it and walk off. Her number is the only number saved on my phone. Jabhile. My only friend.

JABHILE

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade." Whoever came up with that saying never lived.
"Put all your salary in an envelope and offer it on Thursday. God will bless you on the 3rd day." Sunday comes, still only tears. My life has been nothing but tears. I remember coming home with an A+ report card.
My dad: You are only in grade 2, in grade 5, your marks will start slipping. You are just like your useless mother.
They did slip.

I wake up at 03:30 getting ready for work. I have to be at my spot by 05:30 with the perfect dough mix. I switch on the gas stove to heat the oil. It takes a good 15 minutes to be ready for the first gwinya. At 07:30 I head to gym. After the Zumba class, I shower and head to the mall for my next job. College is expensive I need all the money I make.

My love life. Wait. Why did I give it a name. The last man I dated, tried to force himself on me when I refused him sex. I beat him up so bad I landed in jail for assault. My state lawyer got the charges dropped and I'll forever be grateful to him. So I haven't dated, kissed or fu@$d anyone in over 3 years. Who am I kidding. I haven't given it up to anyone ever. I'm not a virgin, I love sex. The amount of masturbating I do, the hymen is long gone. So yes, I will fail the virginity test.

My name is Jabhile Skosana.