Chapter 36

JABHILE

We have just completed moving all my things into the institute quarters. The rooms are gorgeous, no roommates thank heavens, but the room itself is spacious, with its own tiny shower, toilet and basin. This space is too tiny to be called a bathroom but atleast it's private. There's a gala dinner in the evening to welcome us formally. I get to dress up again. I'm so excited. And scared.
Me: Won't you forget about me?
Michael: What do you mean?
Me: I will be stuck here and you will be out there having fun.
Michael: Babe this will be your secondary home, to use if you have major projects. Or to study for tests and exams.
I look at him with quetions. He hands me a car key.
Him: It's already parked outside, for you to come to your primary home when you are not busy. He hands me a second set of keys. House keys.
He gives me a peck. I scream when I digest what he is saying and give him a hug. When we break I run towards the door
Her: You are slow Michael man. Let's go see this car.
We get to the parking lot and he goes straight to a white BMW 2 series. I scream and jump up and down.
Him: Come drive us home so we can prepare for this evening.
I drive us home and we get ready. I pick a red lace dress from the ensemble that my designer Mbuso brought me

We get driven to the function, Chef Ramsey is the keynote speaker as one of the owners and lecturers.
Mike: Every weekend you will cook me all the dishes you learnt in your midweek lectures and prep for the next week. I want you to do well.
There is a DJ after the speeches but people eat and go their separate ways. We get home and prepare for bed.
Mike: Babe your dad called my old man and asked them to tell you to come home on Friday.
I'm so shocked, I literally freeze. He rubs my back.
Him: Breath love, breath. Don't worry dad told him you were busy at school you would be home for the lobola negotiations and this week it's just a meeting to clear things out.
.
.
School is so much fun, you can tell though that it's for the rich and famous. And I, Jabhile Skosana, am 1 of the rich and famous. I have been sleeping at res since Wednesday today is Friday I'm going to see my man. I get home to find luggage on the foyer floor.

Me: Babe you're home early. Why is there a bag packed.
He scratches his head.
Him: Your dad called again.
Ok this is now getting ridiculous.
Him: He says the delegation doesn't need to come over a lot of days. They can both meet and negotiate.
Me: I'm not going.
Him: Sweetness please. Let's just get this over and done with.
Me: But he is up to his old tricks.
Him: Don't worry, my brothers and I will be at a bnb close by.

I can see I'm not making any headway here. I just go upstairs and change into a dress and head out. I've never driven myself home. But I know the way. It's already late afternoon when I get there, I park on the side and watch in amazement. The yard is full and buzzing, everyone is busy. It doesn't look like people are preparing for a meeting and lobola negotiations. There's a huge white tent blocking the whole street. I send Mike an sms.

Your father in law is preparing for a big feast here and I don't think you're invited.

He calls back

Me: Love, there's a wedding here.
Him: What do you mean? Who's getting married?
Me: Me ofcourse, and something tells me you're not the groom.
Him: Love turn around now. Come back.
Me: I told you I didn't want to come here. You with your stubbornness sent me here by myself.
Him: I'm sorry now come home
Me: I've been parked in, and there are people here to fetch me already. I don't know if I'll be able to talk to you again. Bye

I hang up. While he is busy screaming my name. I get out of the car to people singing wedding songs and ululating.
They walk me in and immediately my aunt takes my bags. I'm ushered to a room in the corner of the yard. It's newly built and beautiful. They leave me in there with a change of clothes on the bed. I take a bath and change.

An hour later the sun has set and there's a knock on the door. I go to open and he attacks me with a hug. I'm too shocked to respond so I let him be.
Sipho: The prodigal wife returns
Me: Lotsha(Hi)
Him: You are really here. Your dad wasn't kidding after all. You really came back.
This one is way too excited about this.
Me: Dude what is going on here?
Him: Your father called my dad and told him you were finally here to marry me.
Me: Hayi and you bought it.
He starts laughing.
Him: Wedding invitations have been sent out. I have one in my car. I will bring it for you to see.
Me: Hayi Sipho.
Him: You know your crazy dad offered me your cousin to marry when you left. Wait!!! What's that look? Are you jealous?
Me: No
Shu that came out unexpectedly as a whisper.
This one here is laughing so hard.
Him: I remembered how much you hated her so I turned them down. Your dad is scheming and devious.

He keeps quiet for a bit and just looks at me.

Him: You were not represented by a novice state attorney for your trial.
Me: What do you mean?
Him: I paid a great advocate, never lost a case to get you out. And he did. I was in court everyday. He was fantastic. And I took care of that bastard that messed with my wife.
Me: Huh?
This man today. He engulfs me in a hug and let's me sob for a few minutes.
Me: I was so scared and alone.
Him: You were not alone. I was just always in the shadows. How do you think you got a prime spot to sell your magwinyas? And your shack was warm in winter and didn't leak? But cool in summer.

I'm so shocked right now. I'm numb, just staring.
Him: You think you just befriended a girl that knew how to do faces and she gave you a few pointers. I paid a professional to teach you.
Me: Why did you stay hidden all these years?
Him: I didn't know how else to be?
Me: .....
Him: I watched you fall in love with him. I saw him give you what I couldn't.
Me: What's that?
Him: Himself.

Sipho: How did they get you to come here?
Me: Dad promised the Zikalala family a meeting to end relations with you and accept their lobola.
Him: But uSambulo madoda.
He makes a call and puts it on speaker.
Him: Baba. (dad)
Dad: Ndodana.(son)
Sipho: Ngihleli no naSkosana la (I'm with Jabhile)
Dad: Sawubona ndodakazi(Hello my daughter)
Me: Yebo baba(Evening sir)
Sipho: Akazi lutho ngomtshado.(She doesn't know anything about the wedding)
His dad bursts out laughing
Dad: Kodwa u Sambulo lo sizomthini.( Whatever are we gona do about Sambulo)
Sipho: He is relentless dad. We must teach him a big lesson.
Dad: Iye ndodana iye. Angibhenywa mine. Uyeyisa lomsana.( Yes my boy. He doesn't know me)
Sipho: What do we do?
Dad: Come see me when you are done there. Makoti don't worry about anything that one there has grown. Sizowurarulula lomraro.( We will resolve this problem)

I can see that he has grown. He hands me his phone.

Him: Here, call your dude, tell him not to come in guns blazing, I will figure something out.

I make the call.

Michael: Hello, Michael speaking.
Me: Baby
Him: We're almost there.
Me: Don't worry about me. I'm ok. Sipho will sort everything out. Just go to the bnb.
Sipho: Good evening Mr Zikalala. I have your phone numbers now. I will call you in a bit.
Michael: Ok.
He hangs up. Who is this man in front of me. Where is that bumbling fool with 5 baby mamas.
There is a knock on the door and someone brings in supper.
He whispers in my ear.
Him: I don't trust your dad. Don't eat.
I smile, the aunty with the food has the biggest grin.
Me: Siyabonga ma you can put the food there.

After a few minutes he leaves. I get under the covers and sleep. Sipho has calmed me down. I can sleep now.