Chapter 28

JABHILE

I spent the night in his arms. I decided that no more sex forever. My poor nuffie, I honestly don't know what I was rushing for. My alarm goes off and he helps me to get ready. This man here thinks I'm an egg. If it was up to him, I would spend my days floating on a cloud, not lifting a finger. He didn't even want to break my virginity because of the pain that it would bring me. I mean who does that. It is a bit uncomfortable down there, but nothing I can't handle.

Him: So it's just uncomfortable and not burning or painful?
Me: But I said so.
Him: On a scale of 1 to to 10, rate it.
Me: 0 pain. About 5 on discomfort.
Him: Your walk seems ok, but there was way more blood than I expected.
Wait I didn't see blood. My eyes open wide from shock. He giggles
Him: Relax. Now let me look at you. Damn girl, you transform when you go to work, I'd never recognise you.
I blush
Him: My dark chocolate queen. You are breathtaking.
Me: You sure?
He goes to the closet and comes back with a professional looking camera. He starts giving me a photoshoot.
Him: You will see these after work.

He drives me to the mall and I walk in. I'm met by my oh so wonderful boss.
Nthabiseng: I was starting to celebrate the idea of firing you.
Me: Good morning mam. I'm sorry for falling ill. Here is my hospital documentation.
Her: A private hospital?
She has no idea how private.
Her: You were attended to by thee Dr Zikalala? That is strange.
I'm am so amused inside.
Her: We have a few facebeats that require your attention. Go put your sack in the staff room.
I wonder what she will say when she sees my ring.

I walk in and Thuli is there already.
Thuli: What are you doing here? This is my shift.
Me: Boss asked me to come in earlier.
Thuli: Oh. Uvelaphi by the way?
Me: I was ill.
Her: No girl, I'm sorry. So many days, it must have been serious
Me: It was malaria but I'm better thanx.
She looks genuinely concerned and gives me a hug. To say I'm shocked ne. Boss pops her head in and looks at me.
Her: Your first client is here.

I walk out and it's one of her friends. She is wearing a big trench coat. Looks ridiculous if you ask me. I mean it's only May in Johannesburg. You only need a tiny jersey. I walk up to her.
Me: Good morning mam? What can I do for you this morning?
Her: Give me smokey eyes, 3D heat. I want to ooze sex appeal.
Me: Yes mam.
Boss: Hawu chomi uyakuphi so early in the morning? In a trench!!
Client: Still chasing down my man chomi. Motho has been in South Africa for a second and he thinks he's clever. Ufundela ukuhlakanipha phezu kwami.( He's using me to be street smart)
Her Zulu accent is so funny. I smile
Her: Uhlekani wena mnyamani?(What are you laughing at black one)
Me: I'm sorry mam
Boss: Let's wait till we get to my office we have eaves droppers.
Just then a netflorist delivery man walks in carrying a large boquet of multicolored roses and a man sized teddy bear. I start blushing out of control and I don't even know who they are for.

Delivery guy: Good morning ladies.
Them: Hi
Him: I'm looking for Sweetness..
Before he could finish.
Boss: There's no one by that name here.
Should I? Shouldn't I? Oh hell I'm no gwala(no coward)
Me: It's me.
Him: Here we go mam. I sign for them and turn around to find the 2 witches staring at me. This was my first time receiving anything so I know my face is plastered with a grin. I bite my lip when I see the shock on their faces. Charcoal has a man and they never saw it coming. I know what they call me. I've been called all sorts of derogatory names in my lifetime because of my dark skin.
Me: Let me go put these in the back, I'm sorry mam for the interruption.

I turn and leave them there shocked.

MICHAEL

I know she loves what she does, but I also know she hates her boss. Let me push Phindi on that chef course.
Her: Sir
Me: How far are you on the culinary institutes?
Her: I have a couple sir. I will put together a comprehensive portfolio by the end of the day.
Me: Thank you.
As I'm about to hang up when she starts shouting.
Her: Excuse me, but you can't go in there!!
Next thing my door opens and in barges miss thing.

Me: What the fuck!!!
Lerato: Hi lover.
She closes the door and locks it. I'm being tested here. She unwraps her coat and reveals red undergarments.
Me: Nice, now what can I do for you.
Her: Nice? Is that all? Just nice
Me: Lerato. What are you doing here?
She sits on my desk and opens her legs. That's my que. I jump up and run to the door.

Me: Phindi get that trash out of my office and make sure she never comes back. I'm going to site.
Her: Yes sir.
I walk to the lift, leaving her screaming alone in my office. .

SENZO

My wife turned in her resignation and we are moving to Tanzania over the weekend. I missed the whole first trimester. She says the morning sickness was not bad, but I was not there to take care of her. My phone rings and it's my mother.

Her: Son have you found her? I smile because it's already been 2 days.
Me: Sawubona ma.
Her: There's no time for pleasantries Senzo. Have you found my grandson?
Me: Grandson?
Her: Makoti was pregnant already ngamalobolo. Please find them. She must be so scared.
Me: Did she tell you?
Her: I have lived boy. I know all the signs.
Me: And you didn't tell me.
Her: I was hoping you would have found them by now.
I draw a big breath.
Me: I messed up didn't I?
Her: It's that good heart of yours. Just like your dad. Makes you a push-over.
Me: I found them.
Her: Oh thank God.
Me: Mom we'll be home on Friday morning. I'd like you to arrange something for me. Just you 2 and her parents as well.
Her: You are trying to use us to smooth things over with her?
I laugh.
Me: I've done that already, I just need to do something special for her.
I hear her car park in the driveway.
Me: Ma I have to go she's here.

She comes in looking exhausted, but so beautiful.
Me: You are beautiful. But don't overwork yourself Lana.
Her: Today was special I was handing over to the new guy. Then we had a babyshower. Please go fetch the gifts from the car. I'm done. We can leave today.
NOOOOOOOO. This one wants to ruin my plans.
Me: That's wonderful baby. I think we should explore the South Coast for a few days. There's no rush....
She jumps me and starts to kiss me.
Her: Thank you baby.
I like seeing her happy. It's so easy to keep her this way. I grip her bumm tightly while walking slowly towards our bedroom.