Chapter 14

NARRATED

The Buthelezis are finally allowed in the house and the negotiations begin. After a 4 hour marathon the uncles finally agree and the Buthelezis pay in full.

PENNY

I run into the bedroom to fetch my sister. In her I have found a sister indeed.
Me: It's done!!
I was on my way to the bathroom when I bumped into aunty saying it was all over. She is so in love. I'm happy for her.
Me: I hear your fiance has been allowed in. He is sitting on the side of the house, we have to get food and go give him and his brothers. The aunts will feed the old folks in the lounge.

I follow Alana out both of us carrying a tray, hers of course only has one plate on it, heading towards the group of young men. She kneels in front of him and hands him the tray, bows her head.
Alana: Baba naku ukudla.
Josh: Ngiyabonga nkosikazi.
Oblivious to the world around, they don't see anyone else. Alana turns to me.
Her: Baby this is my sister Penny. She's married to my cousin Andile. She taught me that beautiful line. I speak Zulu now. Penny this is my husband Joshua Buthelezi.
I stretch out my hand and shake his.
Me: Nice to meet you Joshua.
He introduces us to the rest of the guys.

I can not believe my eyes. It can't be him right? It's not him. He didn't even flinch when he saw me. She just knelt in front of the wrong brother plus she called him Joshua. Not Senzo. I need to lie down I have a headache. Alana follows me to the bedroom.
Alana: What happens now?
Me: You are now his wife. We can plan your big wedding.
Alana: Am I allowed to be with him? I miss Josh so much.

Ok Senzo is not Josh. They just look alike. But the surname.

Me: Let's go talk to the mothers about that.

I need to talk to him. I can't believe I haven't seen him in so long. My hulk.

ALANA

Penny has been my rock. After what my friends did to me. She has been the perfect sister and friend.

We walk into the lounge to find the moms.

Mr Zikalala: Good you are here girls. Come sit.
Uncle 1: Your in-laws paid everything and requested you come visit them. We agreed. Go pack a bag, you're leaving with them.
Mam Z: You will be there as a visitor as they have not welcomed you yet. That ceremony is in 2 months time. You have made us proud my dear.
Mom: Come, let me help you pack.

Penny: So this is it my sister, you're leaving me.
Me: No man Penny, don't sulk. Josh said his house is not too far, so we can meet. Wait. How about you come with Andile to supper and we can double date. Please check the doctor's schedule and let me know.
Penny: Perfect. Then I can meet the mystery man. I can't believe you refused to show me his pictures!!!
Me: Honestly I didn't want you to tell me gaury stories about him. What if you know him and he was a player in his past life.

We laugh and they walk me to the gate singing. A big van is parked in front of the gate. His brother walks to us and takes my suitcase.

Josh: My wife
Oh he's the one driving. He doesn't look ok. I would have expected him to be happier. Infact he looks distraught. He holds my hand and kisses it.
Him: Let's go home.
We travel in silence. It's my first time in Soweto so I am in awe, my eyes are outside. I expected slums, but it's none of that. We end up in a location called Diepkloof. We park in front of a beautiful double story house.
Him: My parent's house. We are spending 2 days here so they get to know you better.
Me: Baby are you ok?
Him: Never been better.
Me: But you don't look ok.
Him: Don't worry your pretty little head about it my love. It's nothing I can't deal with.
Me: Ok. Please resolve it. I don't like seeing you like this.

His phone beeps. He looks at the message then at me.

Him: I have to go out for a bit. But I will be back. I promise to explain everything when I get back.

I'm so worried about him now. He walks me in and I greet my new family and I'm introduced properly.

Him: Mama what time will dinner be served?
Mom: Why?
Him: I have to step out for a second. I will be back.
Mom: No. You are not going anywhere.
Him: Please mom. 2 hours tops.
Mom: Senzo umtana bantu lo uthini ngaye?
Him: 2 hours
Me: It's ok Mrs Buthelezi, he can go
Mom: You are too sweet my daughter. Call me mama ok. Wena, hamba kodwa uzozisola.

He drives out

Mama: Come watch me cook my daughter and tell me more about yourself. How is my grandchild doing? I see you love her very much.

JOSHUA

I drive like a maniac to my house. I find her parked outside the gate. I open it and drive in. She follows me and parks next to me. As soon as I step out of the she rushes to me and we hug for the longest time.

Overflowजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें