Chapter 37

JABHILE

I'm woken up by a knock on the door and given bath water. When I'm done my glam squad walks in. I trusted Sipho to have my back, and seeing Michael's people gives me more hope. They are so excited about the wedding, I have to calm them down so it still looks like my dad is getting his way. While the other is busy with my weave, another is on my nails. When they are done, the 3rd one starts with the make up. I smile to myself because she is using the same "Dark Dindy" brand I fell in love with a month a ago. My life is moving so fast. I just realised that change happens in an instant. We as people like dragging happy moments because of fear. The devil then capitalizes. I decide right there and then to live for the moment. Enjoy my happiness

Me: Does one of you ladies have a phone here?
I need to get out of here.
They laugh.
Them: We were strip searched. No phone, no tablet, no pager.

There's a knock on the door. It's my dad.
Him: Good morning Jabhile
Me: Yebo baba
Him: Take, a letter from my son in law.
Me: Thank you
Him: He will take care of you. And of this whole family. I chose well
Me: Yebo baba
He walks out. I open the letter.

My Sweetness

When I met you I knew you were the one for me. Every minute spent together proved to me that I never lived until the moment you stepped into my life. This is the day that the Lord has made for us.

I Love you

S

I beam from ear to ear. My man is so romantic. My dad comes bag with a big package.
Him: Also from umkhwenyana.
I open it. Its a wedding gown. I love mermaid gowns but this one is the most beautiful dress I've ever seen. It's a ball gown, with lace and sparkle. They put me in it and lead me to a mirror. I'm struggling to hold back the tears. I look so beautiful. My dad knocks, telling me everyone is already waiting at the church. I'm so nervous. He takes me by the hand, walking me around the yard telling abo Thamani that I'm no longer one of them I'm off to the the Mahlangu family.

The supposed meeting with the Zikalala clan is at 11:00. It's now 07:30. He timed this perfectly. We get to the church and it's full. I see Sipho's baby mamas huddled in a group. I can't help but smile. Nothing like a common enemy to bring feuding people together. I don't spot a single Zikalala person, but I'm hopeful. My dad walks me down the isle. Sipho is standing at the end. Anytime now. Switch already. I'm starting to panick.
What if the priest doesnt have that line and I marry this idiot. Just then all the doors of the church open and short light people walk in.

My dad is frozen. These people came with bodyguards. There are machine guns everywhere. DRAMA!! The triplets walk down the isle, looking so hot in tuxedos. We are just standing on the side watching the drama unfold. Michael shakes Sipho's hand and they bro hug. He looks at my dad.

Michael: Good morning Mr Skosana. It is so good to finally meet you. Thank you for my bride.

My dad reluctantly hands me over. I'm not sure if he is genuinely handing me over or giving up or is just afraid of all the guns. But his face is riddled in fear. The pastor is so amused.

Pastor: I grew up with Sambulo Skosana and I expect nothing less from him. Thank you my sons, my daughter, for teaching him a lesson he will never forget.
We look behind us and the congregation is giving us a standing ovation.
The pastor leads us in resiting the traditional vows. The congregation is so amused when they find out I'm marrying a Sambulo. Everyone is in stitches.

Pastor: The rings please.
Matt gives them to him. They are so beautiful. I remember showing him this ring in a magazine some time back. He asks us to say our own vows as we put the ring on.
Me: The first time you saw me I was in a tshali at the train station selling amagwinya. With your status and money you looked at me twice. Thank you for accepting me as I am. For making me look this beautiful. For ensuring my future. I love you Sambulo sami, you are truly my revelation. From today I promise to live for you and our kids. I promise to give you a warm home, full of scrumptious food and laughter.

Michael: I was drawn into your eyes, the moment I saw you. When you dipped it low I was hooked. My Sweetness, Njabulo yami with this ring I thee wed. You are my sugar, my joy. The smile on your face is for me to keep. You are no longer Jabhile, but Njabulo. You don't bring disappointment, but pure joy. I love you Njabulo Sweetness Zikalala.

Pastor: With that said I pronounce you husband and wife. You may kiss the bride.

We kiss.

Pastor: I present to you Sambulo and Njabulo Zikalala.

We walk out of the church and into the cars. Sambulo's people can stay and enjoy the food prepared. The convoy drives off, direction Johannesburg. I put my head on his chest.
Me: You came.
Him: I wouldn't be anywhere else.
Me: We are married.
Him: Yes we are.
The convoy stops at home affairs. We are assisted to update the names and officially get married. I am indeed Njabulo Sweetness Zikalala.
Me: Now tell me what happened last night.

NARRATED

The minute Sipho stepped into his car he called Michael.
Sipho: Hi Michael I'm Sipho, Jabhile's..
Michael: Nothing
Sipho: Huh?
Michael: Jabhile's Nothing.
Sipho: Oh. But anyway I didn't call to fight. This meeting has to happen today. Since you guys are already in transit I will send you our location..
Bab Zulu: Thank you ndodana(son) we are on our way.

The delegates arrived at the Mahlangu business offices and were shown to a boardroom.
Bab Mahlangu: Thank you for honouring our invitation. That Skosana is not to be trusted. Son please tell our visitors why we are here. And apologise.
Sipho looks down embarrassed.
Sipho: I dated Jabhile and wanted to own her. I convinced my father to pay the R100k bab Sambulo asked for. There were no negotiations for the lobola, just 2 men in an office completing a business transaction. I knew her father was a crook. But I didn't care. Since then I've had a change of heart. That's why we are here. I paid back the R100k to the family and we don't recognise her as a bride here.
Now this is what we'll do tomorrow....

MICHAEL

My heart stopped when I realized just how devious my supposed stepfather was. He doesn't care for his daughter's happiness, he just wants to fill his pockets. This is supposed to be our happy day, but my wife is staring outside at the passing traffic as we drive to Johannesburg.
Me: I'm sorry about today's drama.
She looks me an smiles. But it's a sad smile. Noone should be this sad on their wedding day.
Her: My father...
I put my finger on her lips so she doesn't continue.
Him: BabZulu insisted that we leave your family a small something he called it "Mvula mlomo, I don't remember but he said he wants the lines of communication open so we take you culturally. They will continue alone and we will show up when it's absolutely necessary.
She just engulfs me with a hug.
Her: Thank you.
We get to our house and lunch is set up in a stretch tent in the back yard.
We first change into simple outfits and join our guests. Hand in hand.
Me: I love you.
She smiles and looks into my soul.
Her: I love you too.

THE END...