31 | Train

THE TRIP BACK to Rikubetsu involves boarding a train.

Mitsuko has known about this, courtesy to the guide Ubayashiki has given her for her first journey to the said place. After that, Mitsuko has to board a ferry as the town is in a prefecture separated by waters.

Mitsuko plans to fall asleep throughout the trip but a familiar chanting of "Tasty!" has that proposition derailing down the forest. Mitsuko weighs the pros and cons of avoiding and approaching Rengoku, the Flame Pillar.

She still ends up passing through a train car to greet the lively Rengoku.

Another however is that the trio of Tanjirou's team have been talking to him and Rengoku is more than eager to entertain his questions. It would be rude of Mitsuko to disturb their conversation if she was to join them now.

Her eyes wander to Zenitsu, who has yet to notice her presence (Mitsuko is an expert for keeping her presence unknown to others), and Inosuke, who is busy marvelling over the train - A dawn to the rise of technology.

The train lights emit a warm orange glow over the car. The staff are busy accommodating Rengoku's simultaneous orders of food and she wonders where the money for this comes from. Some of the seats are taken with people clueless to the demons lurking in the shadows. Tanjirou and Rengoku are chatting in one of the seats as Zenitsu and Inosuke are in the one beside them.

Mitsuko sits across Zenitsu. The chime of Rengoku's ever cheerful greeting is the signal of the three noticing her.

"Mitsuko!" It's as lively as always.

She bows her head, "Good evening."

Mitsuko must have chosen the perfect timing to appear as Rengoku explains the purpose of their presence on the train: investigating for the probability of a demon as forty people have disappeared already.

It brings her back to that one Lower Moon years ago.

"I'm boarding the train because I'm heading back to Rikubetsu," Mitsuko explains her presence. However, she doesn't mind tagging along with the group. More hands on deck, the easier and faster the job will be done.

"Allow me..." The train conductor slurs through the noise of the train car, "... to inspect your tickets."

Mitsuko scrutinizes the conductor, reluctantly handing her ticket.

Doom. The lingering atmosphere of a demon. Mitsuko can almost see it's aura seeping on the floor, attempting to threaten.

Her hand instantly grips her hidden katana. However, Rengoku has taken action first.

"Look out! Get back!" Rengoku reveals his katana, it's fiery guard eye-catching, "This is an urgent matter, so don't mind the sword."

Screams erupted from behind them. Mitsuko sighs as the Kamaboko Squad watches on with awe and adoration at the execution of the demon.

"Flame Breathing, First Form: Unknowing Fire."

The Flame Pillar Rengoku Kyoujouro slays the demon with practiced ease and zero casualties. The resounding slink of his katana is a finality and conclusion of the execution.

"Wow! Awesome swordsmanship! Please make me your apprentice!" Tanjirou is nothing but a fan, amazed and gushed with the might of the Flame Pillar. "Sure! I'll make you a great swordsman!"

"Me too!"

"And me!"

A small smile tugs at the corners of her lips. Amusement washing over Mitsuko.

No, she doesn't care for recognition. She refuses the fame and glory that comes from being a Pillar, one of the foundations of the corps. She is content being in the shadows, in the dead of the night, in the tranquil silence of the moon reflecting on the bodies of water.

It is better to work alone. It is more convenient to not take in anyone under her wing. She blends in the starry sky, a quiet presence when the sun is away.

However, when the goddess Artemis decides to hunt, the shadows are her hunting grounds.

Quiet and deadly.

That is Tomioka Mitsuko.

* * *

A demon hums. The melody chirpy and soothing, a lullaby chasing the nightmares away.

A lullaby meant for a deep sleep.

The train quiets down in gentle rocking and assuring whispers. Sleep takes over its passengers and no one is left conscious.

On the speeding train, the humming demon smiles.

"Nothing will make me happier than die as I dream!"

A reposing girl in demon slaying uniform, lips pursed in a straight line and obsidian silky hair cascades on her shoulders. The bead accessories tap on her cheeks.

She dreams of a wistful life filled with kind blue eyes and -

- a flashes of a forgotten past stained in bloody imprisonment.

~~~~~

PSPSPS, I was lurking in twitter and saw this! It gives Mitsuko vibes so much!!!
Link:
https://twitter.com/tsubonari_8/status/1383287454413717510?s=19

Thank you for reading! See you in the next chapter. We might see something about our dear Mitsuko's past.