24 | Caress

Kanzashi – Hair ornaments used in traditional Japanese hairstyles.
Poi – Used for scooping goldfishes; made of thin washi paper that can easily be teared.
Shataki – Gun-shooting stand
Kitsune – Japanese word for fox

~~~~~

MUICHIROU HAS A weird and overwhelming feeling inside him. He kept tracing circles on the ground as a way to soothe his nerves. Why was he feeling this way? They just both want to check the festival in a town. Plus, he hasn't gone to any. He also had Mitsuko with him. So, what's making him nervous? Is it nervous really? If so, then why there is a slight trace of excitement in his feelings?

Muichirou has been looking too forward for this hang out. He needed something to release this pent-up feelings inside his chest. Maybe, he just can't wait to see Mitsuko in a yukata or kimono—wait. Why would he even be eager? Mitsuko might show up in her demon slayer uniform like him.

"Muichirou-kun?"

Upon the call, he raised his gaze to see the girl of the hour. His face flared up at the most unexpected sight.

Maybe Mitsuko was eager too? She looked very pretty in a kimono with her hair styled elegantly with a kanzashi. It was a refreshing sight, really. Mitsuko was very cute in Muichirou's eyes.

Mitsuko inquired, "Did you wait long?"

He averted his gaze from her. "No."

Mitsuko smiled. She stepped into Muichirou's side. "We should go."

Muichirou simply nodded, taking the first step and darting his gaze from one place to another, anywhere but Mitsuko's direction. His face felt hot.

On the other side of the party, Mitsuko was "slightly" embarrassed. Originally, she planned to show up in her usual look—in her demon slayer uniform. Shinobu really had to pay a sudden visit at their estate and threatened her to dress up and look all pretty.

"You should always look at your very best, Mitsuko-chan~!" were Shinobu's words. Giyuu was playing the bystander card, only watching as Shinobu dragged her to her room. She knew deep inside that Shinobu's purpose of her visit was to ready her, not some business with Giyuu.

Just reminiscing it was enough to form a tired look on Mitsuko's face.

Mitsuko marveled at the sight of the yellow-tinted lights of the stands. The amount of crowd was just right for her; not too crowded and not too few (though she doesn't mind if it's few). When was the last time she came to a festival?

She felt her hand was brushed. Instinctively, her hand intertwined with Muichirou's.

She asked, "Are you scared?"

Muichirou's face flared up at the skin contact. Is this even allowed? The two of them are merely acquaintances and comrades.

"Why would I be scared?" Muichirou's face fell to a frown.

"I guess so. I mean, it's your first time. Right?"

"I... Don't remember."

There's that unpleasant feeling creeping up at Mitsuko.

Ah, it's awkwardness.

"Right."

* * *

Muichirou may or may not be having the time of his life.

Seeing Mitsuko all giddy and carefree (he can actually tell) before him was setting his feelings in a storm. Mitsuko could stretch her lips to a beaming smile that could almost blind him. It was like he's seeing a whole new different Mitsuko.

"Ah." Muichirou watched the disappointment arise on Mitsuko's features. Her shoulders slumping as soon as the Poi in her hand was broken. Muichirou knelt beside her.

"Let me try."

Muichirou tried catching a goldfish, which failed with another broken Poi.
"We're not cut out for this. Let's try the others," suggested Mitsuko, standing up from her crouching. She was about to leave when she realized Muichirou hasn't moved an inch.

"Muichirou-kun?"

Muichirou was gritting his teeth. Mitsuko swore the boy was about to break a new Poi. "...need to..."

Mitsuko sighed. Sometimes, Muichirou can be too stubborn for his own good.

Her hand landed on Muichirou's. "I saw a Shateki stand. Let's go there!"

Muichirou was still staring hard at the goldfishes swimming in the pool.

Mitsuko attempted again, "Come on. We'll come back next year."

Muichirou looked up at her. "Really?"

Mitsuko smiled, "Why not?" She tugged on the raven fabric. "Let's go."

Muichirou left the pool of goldfishes and followed behind Mitsuko as they maneuvered across various people. He only noticed now the significant rise of population in the festival. It was starting to get on his nerves. Muichirou isn't one for crowds and noises.

As if sensing his displeasure, Mitsuko led Muichirou to a Shateki stand (as she had planned to). The Shateki stand is decorated with dim lights. Not many people were surrounding them. A sole group of friends making fun of each other and a couple trying to topple down the food prizes in cartons. The white noise of the festival was still in their earshot.

Muichirou missed the way Mitsuko paid for ten bullets. Seven or eight is enough, but ten should satisfy their after-game desires. Mitsuko handed the gun to Muichirou.

Mitsuko smiled, "I'm quite confident in my shooting skills. Are you?"

Muichirou scoffed and aimed for a prize. Mitsuko did the same.

With every pull of a trigger, cork bullets managed to bring down the food cartons. They earned the attention of the bystanders nearby. It didn't take long for both of their bullets to run out. At the end of their turn, Mitsuko was able to shoot down five as Muichirou was three. It took Muichirou some time to handle the gun since he always uses a katana. Their unspoken competition made him question Mitsuko's abilities with a gun. Each shot she fired seemed to reach the target with amazing precision.

Muichirou missed the way Mitsuko retrieved their prizes, but he didn't miss her contented expression.

He wished to see that expression every day instead of her almost flat and stone resting face.

Muichirou was following her throughout the festival like a lost puppy. The only difference was; he was actually enjoying it. He was more than eager to get lost in a forest with Mitsuko. As long as they're together, they're going to be fine. He looked up and saw the starless sky looming at them in the high distance. It seemed to be a cloudy sky tonight, or maybe it was the work of the lights of the festival polluting his eyes?

"Eh..."

Muichirou looked around and failed to notice the familiar back figure of Mitsuko. She was just leading him somewhere. Did his hand accidentally slip from hers? If so, she would've noticed. Or maybe, she didn't. Mitsuko must've noticed something good from the stands. She must be hungry, since it's been a while when they first stepped into the festival.

Muichirou now looked like a lost puppy here. He was about to go and search for Mitsuko when a kitsune mask from a mask stand caught his attention, as if it was there for the sole purpose of catching his attention. It's crimson fits well with its pure color and he was reminded by Mitsuko and her vermilion eyes.

"Maybe I can buy it for peace offering?"

The kitsune mask was now in his hands. A small smile stretched his lips. He can almost vision Mitsuko wearing the mask on her face or maybe on her head. If Muichirou was to be asked, he would prefer it to be on her head, so he could see her face.

Muichirou was about to search for Mitsuko when his slayer instincts kicked in.

A demon is here.