13 | Connections

MITSUKO HAD STEPPED inside the Butterfly Estate. The estate never fails to make her soul find peace and serenity in the wilderness between the fluttering butterflies. Her eyesight was pleased with the colorful bursts of the petals in the garden. The relaxing and comforting scent of the garden always calms her.

The last time she was here was after the Lower Moon Two confrontation. There was still poison circulating her body and she had to stay for a few days. She was bored, but tried to busy herself with books Kanae had lent her.

Their feet padded against the tatami floors, signaling of their arrival.

"Nee-chan! Kanao's hadn't moved an inch for half an hour now! I told her to do whatever she wants, but she just seated there!"

Mitsuko was mildly surprised at the appearance of a girl. She concluded the girl was a few years older than her.

Kanae had spoken, "Well, we can't do anything if she wants to sit."

"Nee-chan!"

Kanae giggled at the demeanor of her little sister. She turned to Mitsuko and enthusiastically introduced her little sister, "Mitsuko-chan, this is Shinobu, my little sister."

It was Shinobu's turn to be surprised. Looking up close, she didn't expect the new Pillar to be smaller than her. She thought they had the same body structure from the distance, but no she was wrong. She couldn't believe the girl before her had killed a Lower Moon demon single-handedly.

Mitsuko bowed, "It's a pleasure to meet you." Shinobu started to compare how composed Mitsuko was to herself.

"N-nice to meet you, Mitsuko-sama."

Mitsuko looked up at Shinobu. She offered a small smile as she said, "Mitsuko is fine. I'm not used to formalities."

Shinobu can't help to think of how cute Mitsuko was when she smiled. "Right."

Kanae spoke, "You should stay for lunch."

Mitsuko hummed.

* * *

"Muichirou?"

Mitsuko stood before Muichirou, whose head was buried deep in his knees. The sun shone down at them; the branches of the trees giving them enough shade to their satisfaction. Mitsuko crouched before Muichirou. The scabbard of her blade skidded the ground. Her hand reached out to remove some of the boy's long strands of hair. Mitsuko isn't one to be an expert in comforting others, but she tried. She somehow couldn't bear to witness Muichirou so silent. It was uncharacteristic of him.

She asked, "What's wrong?"

Muichirou shook his head. Michi purred at his feet, seeming to pry for Muichirou's attention. "Let me guess. You and your brother fought again."

Mitsuko received a nod.

She stared at Muichirou's dejected state. She sighed and stood. Michi switched his attention to Mitsuko, who was walking away. He glanced back at Muichirou then at Mitsuko. He quickly ran over to Mitsuko's side.

Mitsuko approached the small house. She didn't spare any wasted moments to knock on the door.

The door was harshly opened. Yuichirou yelled, "Didn't we say we have no intere—" He was cut off at the sight of a different person standing in front of him. It was a girl and almost at the same age as as him. She stood on par with him yet the ambiance she was giving off was entirely diverse from the woman named Amane.

He took a quick run-over at Mitsuko. She was wearing a uniform underneath an oversized haori. A sword was resting on her hip and it almost reached the ground. He presumed she was a swordswoman and she was a member of that swordsmen Amane was talking about.

"What do you want?" Yuichirou's tone was harsh.

"I believe you hurt Muichirou's feelings," stated Mitsuko. Her voice held nothing but neutrality. She was stating the truth. At this point, Yuichirou was confused. How did this girl knows Muichirou? Is she from nearby? 

He recalled Muichirou asking him if he saw a girl. 

Mitsuko took a step forward.

She tilted her head. She queried, "How could you be so mean to your brother?"

"W-what do you mean?" Yuichirou was slowly getting intimidated by Mitsuko. She sensed the fear creeping in Yuichirou's mind. She sighed once more.

With a small smile, she introduced herself, "I'm Tomioka Mitsuko. I'm from the Demon Slayer Corps and I have come to persuade you to join us."

~~~~~

Giyuu stood. His eyes trained still on the view of the mountain. The sun was setting. He never felt so alone. The last time he saw this view was with Mitsuko. He didn't expect the grief to be such a burden for his shoulders. He tried to protect at least Mitsuko, but, in the end, she was taken too.

Giyuu clenched his fist. He's not done yet. He will avenge his family. No matter what it takes and he will take Mitsuko back from the hands of Muzan.

"You're here."

He inclined his head to the direction of Sabito, who emerged from the forest. Giyuu simply nodded to acknowledge his statement and presence. He remained quiet. The sunlight left his body as it kissed the world goodbye.

"Let's go back, Nii-san!"

His eyes twitched. His mind was playing tricks again.