8 | Pillar

THE AIR OF silence that enveloped around her makes Giyuu on edge. Something is different about Mitsuko. Yes, she's always complying quietly to her parent's demands and punishments if she was to be a naughty girl, but this instance is different. Different from all other situations. He really can't place what's wrong with his adoptive little sister.

"What really happened back there?" asked Tsutako, emerging from the hallway. Giyuu sprawled all over his futon, eyes fixed only on the ceiling as he pondered over the events of the day. He curtly answered, "I was the one in trouble. Mitsuko came and saved my sorry butt."

Tsutako merely pursed her lips. Deep within her mind, the thought of the two finally getting along makes its appearance. A small smile crossed her features. She wants the two of them to get along maybe before her wedding. It would be the greatest gift she can receive from the two.

Giyuu sat up from his laying spot on the futon and looked up to his sister, asking, "When did Mitsuko become strong?"

Confused, Tsutako tilted her head to the side, completely oblivious to the query. She answered back with a question, "What do you mean by strong? Mitsuko doesn't train."

Giyuu broke his eye contact with his sister as his gaze aimlessly wandered to the tatami floor. 'If Mitsuko doesn't train or does anything related to it, how is she able to pull those two guys off him?' Giyuu thought. For all he knew, those three that they encountered in the day were rumored to be training to become samurai of some sorts, but Mitsuko was able to pull them to the ground without breaking a sweat.

"Since she won't be going anywhere for the next two days, why don't you spend time with Mitsuko?"

Giyuu quickly rebutted, "She doesn't like me! I hate her too."

Tsutako smiled. She added, "She came to your rescue. She won't save you earlier if she hates you, you know. Plus, can't you see her efforts of getting along with you, Giyuu?"

Giyuu raised an eyebrow, "What do you mean by efforts? She rarely comes to me."

"That's because you always focus on the fact you hate her. Use this chance to get close to her, okay? Or else, I won't let you come to my wedding."

"That's unfair!"

"No, that's fair."

~~~~~

Mitsuko calmly roamed the streets of Kawasaki. She may appear as a very composed girl, but deep inside she's already burning in panic. I'm not born in a city!

She wants to run away and go back to Gyomei's estate. She wants to spend the night sleeping. Unfortunately for her and all the other Demon Slayers out there, their enemies only appear in the dead of the night.

She was sent here to slay demons that were rumored to be in this city. Civilians have been reported missing for the last seven days. It was a mission for her in preparation for her estate.

Mitsuko really hated the city. That's a clear fact about her. She can already feel the eyes of the people judging her. Maybe they were thinking about her garments and there's no way they'll see her sword since it was hidden by the large haori Gyomei gave to her.

Mitsuko was about to continue deeper through the city when she sensed a presence of a demon nearby.

She stopped walking and scanned the environment around her. The presence was blinking, disappearing and reappearing again. She couldn't place where the source is, it was as if it came from all direction. She closed her eyes and started to sense the presence. It was hiding itself.