10 | Tokitou

GIYUU GREW CLOSER to Mitsuko. Everyone noticed that. Tsutako is happy Giyuu stopped picking up on Mitsuko. Giyuu and Mitsuko often play together outside if their parents allowed them. If their parents won't, Giyuu would be the one to initiate Mitsuko to sneak out.

"Over here, Nii-san!" called out Mitsuko, waving her hand in the air. Giyuu struggled in the slightest bit in climbing the tall tree. But, it was all worth it when his eyes landed on the breathtaking scene.

The sight from above overlooked the nearby town. It was still afternoon, so the sun is up in the sky. The season was spring. The green scenery made Giyuu's breath stuck in his throat. He swore to himself to visit this place again when he has the chance.

"Isn't it beautiful?" asked Mitsuko. Her red eyes studied Giyuu's stunned expression. Mitsuko can clearly tell Giyuu was mesmerized by the scene nature is showing him.

Giyuu asked, "When did you find this?"

"Not long ago." Mitsuko started to climb down the tree. She said, "We should go. The others might be worried about us."

"You're probably right."

The two of them trekked the mountain. Silence overpowered them. For Giyuu, it was awkward, but judging by Mitsuko's expression, it seemed to be okay to her, like she was already used to the silence and tranquility around her. Giyuu thought of a topic for the two of them to converse about but he found none, so he tried his best to appear comfortable despite the tick in his body for conversation.

He spoke up, "We should hang out often there."

Mitsuko simply hummed in agreement with a proud smile on her lips. "I'm happy you like it."

~~~~~

Mitsuko sat on top of a branch, eyes cast downwards to a pair of boy twins. She leaned her weight on the trunk of the branch, watching the two silently chop woods with hawk-like gaze.

The sun was high up in the sky and was staring down at the forest with intensive heat. She doesn't even know how she could survive the heat with her haori hugging her body.

It was very hot, literally.

Taki—her crow—landed on her shoulders. Mitsuko pulled out a small treat from her haori sleeves and fed the lucky Taki.

Between its squaks, Taki said, "Oyakata-sama is asking for you to come to his estate."

This caught her attention from the two twins. Why would Oyakata-sama suddenly call?

Mitsuko stood on the branch. She was starting to enjoy the feeling of the wind breezing past her every now and then. Before she could gather the the two twins attention, she left, Taki trailing behind her, squaking.

One of the twins looked up to where Mitsuko once sat. He paused from chopping the wood in front of him.

Noticing the older brother's halt, the younger asked, "What's wrong, Nii-chan?"

"I thought I heard something."

* * *

Mitsuko walked past the gates of the Ubayashiki Estate. The serene and tranquil atmosphere of the estate made her feel at ease. Her mind wanders back to the days she spent healing from an incident she doesn't even recall.

Not far, she saw Amane. She walked faster. Mitsuko kept her formality in check, not forgetting to bow in respect to the woman in front of her.