7 | Sever

"WHAT HAPPENED TO you two?"

Their mother exclaimed. She stopped what she was doing and ran to her children. Tsutako emerged and saw the state of her two siblings.

Giyuu has bruises decorating his face. There is blood trickling down from the corner of his busted lips. His hair was a mess as well as his clothing, which was filled with dirt. She immediately noticed the absence of the container that Giyuu brought along with him before departing hours prior.

Mitsuko, on the other hand, has her hair in a ruffled mess resembling like bird's nest. Tsutako was sure that her little sister has her hair grabbed by whoever it is. Comparing to Giyuu, Mitsuko isn't in a such state. She was lucky that's for sure.

Tsutako noticed their hands were intertwined with each other. Giyuu refuses any eye contact with any person in the house. As for Mitsuko, her eyes were only trained on their mother with the slightest hint of emotion in them. The neutral expression her face makes Tsutako a little bit disoriented. Mitsuko is known for being a lively and expressive girl. Just what really happened to the two?

After the bustling of the baffled two ladies in the house, the five of them—including their father—sat, eating silently their dinner.

"What happened earlier to the two of you?" asked Tsutako, her blue eyes watching every movement of her younger siblings.

Giyuu doesn't know what to say. He'll get a long hour of his mother and father scolding him for being incompetent. He basically can't lie against Mitsuko since she is the one who literally saved him from the bullies earlier. The reality of his situation earlier hurts his pride as a man.

Mitsuko lied, "I was fighting with the boys because they were bullying this small kitten. Then, Giyuu-nii-san came."

Giyuu snapped his head to the girl beside him. He saw how Mitsuko looked at the food in front of her with a glint of guilt and shame in her eyes. He didn't expect this story from his younger sister's mouth!

"Is that right, Giyuu?" asked their mother, eyes trained only on the ravenette boy. Mitsuko spoke for him, "Yes. It's right, Mother."

"I wasn't speaking to you, Mitsuko."

He saw how his foster sister, flinched at the change of tone of their mother. He was pressured if he should just state the truth or just go with the flow with Mitsuko's made up story.

"Y-yes. Mitsuko's right." The words that left his mouth taste like venom. He should've stated the truth and let the burden rest on his shoulders instead to his little sister who was only four.

At the end of their dinner, Mitsuko was not allowed to leave the house for two days.

Why the feeling in his chest is guilt? The conscience of his soul were begging him to run back to his parents and tell them the truth. He can't do that. The fake words already left his mouth. He witnessed how Mitsuko silently complied and proceeded to her room.

~~~~~

"Ngh!"

Mitsuko's left leg received a cut from the Lower Moon Demon as she crashed outside the house on her back. Pain invaded her body. She felt most of the sting from the deep and long cut on her leg and the searing pain on her back. Mitsuko thought it might be stained with her own blood.