21 | Ameliorate

MITSUKO STARED AT her bamboo sword on the dirt. Her arms were still in its position before the bamboo sword was knocked off her grasp.

"You must never rely on your katana. It will only be useless later on."

Mitsuko's hand instantly went on her head. The pounding of her headache was giving her another unnecessary burden.

"Should we stop?" asked Himejima. He knelt in front of Mitsuko.

She repeated the words in a soft whisper: "You must never rely on your katana. It will only be useless later on..."

Himejima asked again, "Another memory?"

Mitsuko nodded. The headache had finally die down.

"Let's continue please."

* * *

Mitsuko was fidgeting as she walked.

She heard news of Muichirou becoming a Pillar after two months into the Corps. It was amazing. It was to be expected for a descendant of the original breath users.

It made Mitsuko jealous.

Then again, they were being recruited a year ago before some shit storm got her life in a rollercoaster of surprises and reality checks.

All in all, Mitsuko wasn't ready to meet Muichirou.

She even had to investigate the "Tsukiko" in her memories. She wants to know everything. The empty feeling within her was acting up again. The less frequent headaches made a comeback. 

She mumbled, "I think I should get my headaches check again..."

"I've come here to train with you," she explained. Muichirou was eyeing her from the neck down. It made Mitsuko uncomfortable.

"Who says?" Muichirou's tone was cold. Mitsuko could only sigh mentally at his indifferent personality.

She smiled, "Oyakata-sama."

Something clicked within the newly-appointed Pillar at the sound of Kagaya's name.

Muichirou stepped aside to make way for Mitsuko.

"Is it really necessary?" asked Muichirou. Judging from the rather sleepy tone, it seemed like he just got out of the bed. Mitsuko could see the sole bedhair on Muichirou's head.

"I guess so. Communication is also essential in our missions," Mitsuko explained. As soon as they entered Muichirou's estate, they were met with an animal.

"Meow."

"Eh?"

Mitsuko looked down to her feet. A cat had already take its place to sleep on her boots. "What?"

Muichirou picked up the sleeping cat. "Michi's a really lazy cat. I expected more from you, sloth."

Did Mui-kun just—!?

Mitsuko pointed with a shaking hand to the cat in Muichirou's arms. She asked, "What's the name of the cat?"

"I just said it. He is Michi."

Mitsuko smiled. Her eyes studied the sleeping cat. Her eyes travelled up to Muichirou.

I guess Mui-kun didn't forget everything.

"I'm jealous..." Mitsuko whispered, eyes down.

"Is something wrong?"

"Nothing. Let's get into training."

Mitsuko walked past Muichirou. Her eyes took one last glance on the cat.

Michi.

A gleeful smile was present on her face.

* * *

Ever since he woke up in the Ubayashiki Estate, Muichirou had been feeling restless and lonely. Together with a passive rage, the longing for a presence of someone had always settled deep inside him. No matter how much Kagaya frequented his room before, it didn't solve the slightly disturbing feeling.

Muichirou was yearning for a specific person's presence, yet he couldn't fathom who.

Until the day he met Mitsuko for the first time.

Meeting her and interacting with her made the lonely feeling within him disappeared. He was relieved, as it was only a hindrance to his growth.

Muichirou regretted pushing her away that day. His heart suddenly stung when she looked like she was about to cry. The air within her was heavy. He could tell the sorrow surrounding her.

"I wonder if I'm doing it right," Mitsuko whispered, looking down to her legs.

Knowing that she was out there and alive brought a sense of comfort and security over him.

Her red eyes landed on him. She gave him a little smile. "Did Michi finally settled down?"

"Yeah." Muichirou hopped off the engawa to the garden where they will commence their sparring practice. He picked up the bamboo sword on the dirt.

The familiarity around her settled and replaced the emptiness in him. Mitsuko's small smiles, facial features, appearance, habits, and personality. All of them are familiar to Muichirou. He knew, deep within himself, that they had met before.

She acted she didn't know him yet Muichirou could pick the quick glances and hopeful eyes from her. For him, Mitsuko appeared to be waiting patiently.

Muichirou groaned at the impact of their bamboo sword clashing against each other. Sweat trickled down the side of his face. Mitsuko was serious in their sparring and she wasn't holding back. He could even tell the huge difference in their abilities and experience.

Muichirou barely avoided the sudden upward kick to his chin. He jumped away from her, only to have his bamboo sword parry her next attack. He was reminded once again that he was a newly-appointed Pillar, far from her.

Her silence was unnerving to him. There was a lingering fear of being killed if she left a split moment from one's eyesight. Her speed was incredible. Her power was also beyond average.

It was inappropriate of him to underestimate Mitsuko.

It doesn't mean he would hold back either.

He found an opening and charged at her with his breathing. Mitsuko raised her wooden sword up, only for it to forcefully slip out of her hold. Muichirou noticed how her red eyes widen a little in panic and surprise.

Mitsuko was able to hold her ground through defensive movements. She tried to deliver a punch. Her fists met the wind and she crashed on the ground.

Or so she thought.

Muichirou had an arm around her waist, halting her from falling.

Mitsuko sighed. I really need to improve my close-combat skills. She stood up. She closed and opened her hands, questioning its rather weak grip.

The wind picked up its pace and swayed their hair. Mitsuko was irked at her hair for blocking her view from their sparring moments ago. She mentally noted to have Shinobu cut it shorter for her.

Muichirou approached the engawa. "I think that's all for today. I'll bring some water."

Mitsuko hummed.

Muichirou muttered, "The feeling of security and comfort."

There was another feeling in his chest. He couldn't describe it. It was the same for admiration, but at the same time it was different.

Maybe he could ask Mitsuri when he meets her again.