4 | Operation

TSUTAKO'S CONCERNED EXPRESSION just warped into one of relate. She knows very well what Giyuu is feeling. She went through the same thing when Giyuu was born into the world. Their parents are always by Giyuu's side 24/7. She even resorted to injure herself just to take her mother's attention away from Giyuu for at least a single moment.

The older Tomioka gestured Giyuu to sit on the grass with her. She started to pick the flowers around them, gathering them in front of her after.

"When you were born, everyone was happy. I was happy I'm going to be a big sister. Although, I want to have a little sister..." Blue eyes looked over to Giyuu's observing ones. She ruffled Giyuu's black hair, earning a complain from the boy. She continued, "...Instead, I received a handsome, brave, and strong-willed little brother."

Giyuu's cheeks went red for the slightest moment. He immediate asked, "I-I'm that kind of person?"

His sister flashed him a smile, answering his query, "Of course! Why not?"

Soft hands picked the stem of the flowers. The pair of hands worked together to intertwine each flower with one another. Tsutako continued, "I was really happy until I noticed the change of attention I used to get from our parents."

Tsutako's hands stopped working, successfully catching Giyuu's attention. Her soft and kind eyes looked up from her work to the lake reflecting the rays of the burning Sun. As she relived the memories, she continued, "Mother spends most of her time looking out for you. She rarely plays with me anymore during those days."

Tsutako stopped, taking a moment to remember every detail that happened back when she was having the same problem as Giyuu. "Even Father, he either goes out for work or takes care of you so Mother can rest.

"I was really jealous of all the attention you have from our parents Giyuu. I'm sure that I used to have the same attention when I was just an infant. Our parents, especially Mother, tried to convince me and made me understand the situation. Gradually, I'm able to come to terms that I happened to love you too. That moment I swore to myself that I'll protect you at all costs."

~~~~~

"Nee, Himejima-san," the girl started. Her scarred hand lowered the porcelain bowl on the table. She didn't meet Gyomei's eyes, in contrast of the instances she wanted to talk to him about. It was clear on her face and eyes she was hesitant.

Sensing the unusual disposition of the girl, Gyomei asked, "What is it?"

"Why do you doubt me?"

Mitsuko's query sent the Rock Pillar on edge. He was bewildered at the knowledge of Mitsuko being doubted by her trainer. She bashfully looked up at Gyomei. She lowly said, "You don't have to admit it. I just want to know why..."

"Children are pure and naive. Quick to lie. Easily influenced. Complete fine with cruelty. Selfish little things..."

Her red eyes averted from Gyomei as she looked down at the bowl of half-eaten udon. Her fingers slightly trembling at Gyomei's perspective on children like her. Why is his opinions on children is like that? Did something happened? Questions swirled in her mind, but she knew better than to ask a personal question. Why would children possess traits like that? Are they really that selfish? But, she knew she was different. She was completely different from the other children she saw in the town by the foot of the mountain. They have families that look after them, unlike her who already left her behind. They have pure and undisturbed childhood, unlike her who doesn't remember the half of it. They can play outside their homes without worries in the Sun and sleep in their houses without any worries without the demons, unlike her who cannot even sleep at the knowledge of them devouring human at that moment. She fears that one day the real demon will return and take everything she has built from scraps. Unlike her, the children in the town live a carefree life.