26 | Peregrinate

MITSUKO SAT IN front of Ubayashiki Kagaya. She was summoned from her respose to talk about something that concerned her past.

"I heard from Shinobu that you're headaches have been more frequent," started Kagaya. He personally asked Shinobu to look out for Mitsuko long after Kanae had passed away. It was a relief that Shinobu didn't harbor any unpleasant grudge to Mitsuko, instead she felt the need to protect her.

Mitsuko answered, "Yes, but it isn't disturbing my duties."

Kagaya placed a hand on her head. "That's good to hear. How about your memories?"

"They're..." Mitsuko pondered over the right words to describe the flashes of memories, "...helping in some way. It seems like I was training. Someone was telling me not to rely on my sword."

Kagaya reminded, "Never rush."

The silence was a cue for the main purpose why Mitsuko was in the Ubayashiki Estate in the first place. Nichika neared the two with an envelop in hand. Mitsuko followed each Nichika's elegant movements as the latter gave the envelop to her.

Kagaya explained, "You'll be moving your area of activities to Hokkaido. I would like you to focus more on Rikubetsu."

Mitsuko couldn't keep the curiousity within her. Hokkaido is on the other side of Japan. Why bring her there? "But... Why?"

"You can investigate the family lineage of Fujisaki."

* * *

Kamado Tanjirou closed his fifth journal.

He was tired and beat from the harsh training with Urokodaki Sakonji. But, he won't give up. Never. He needs to become a demon slayer and change Nezuko back to human, just as he had promised to himself and to her.

Tanjirou neared his reposing sister. How long has it been when she was last awake? A year? With every day that passed, he was growing anxious. He couldn't help but worry for Nezuko. What if one day or maybe tomorrow he'll find her dead?

Don't, Tanjirou. He won't lose hope. There's no way Nezuko will leave him. He swore they'll be together.

Tanjirou caught sight of the orange scarf that was neatly folded by the side of Nezuko's futon. Nezuko wasn't wearing any scarf and he had his own sky blue scarf around his neck that day. Giyuu wasn't wearing any scarf either.

It must've belonged to that girl.

Tanjirou clearly remembered. Her sudden presence when he was woken up alarmed him. Her crimson eyes were boring deep into his soul and were calculating, as if predicting all of his moves in the next second.

She stayed quiet and unmoving by the tree that day. When they disappeared, he just noticed the scarf around Nezuko's neck, keeping her warm.

Tanjirou just suddenly thought of the girl's age. It looks like it was around his age. If not, then younger. She was impressive, becoming a demon slayer at such a young age. When he comes around in the Corps, she might be in a whole new level compared to him.

Tanjirou took the folded scarf in his hands, examining it. When he sniffed its scent, the scent of snow still lingers and if Tanjirou actually focused, he could smell... ramen? Why would it smell ramen?

Tanjirou smiled. "We should bring this scarf back to her when we meet her next time, Nezuko. You have to thank her too."

mama placed a quick peck on Nezuko's forehead before proceeding to sleep.

* * *

Muichirou found the heavy feeling in his chest very discomforting.

He tried his best not to pay attention to his dull mood and the chant of Rengoku beside him. He stared focused and hard at the simmered radish before him; the spoon in his right hand seemingly to blend in well with the rest. The man on the other side of the counter is starting to doubt his simmered radish. He made it like usual. So, what's wrong?

"Cheer up!" Rengoku stated, emphasizing it even more with a ruffle of Muichirou's hair.

Muichirou didn't even know why he found himself staying at the same restaurant at the moment. Maybe, because he was half-expecting Mitsuko to be already there, waiting for them.

How disappointed Muichirou was when he discovered she wasn't there.

"Mitsuko will be back before you know it, Tokitou-kun."

For the first time ever since they entered the restaurant, Muichirou spoke, "We don't even know when she will be back."

"I'm sure it won't be long," Rengoku ate another order of sweet potatoes, "Delicious!"

Muichirou started eating finally. "I wonder... what Rikubetsu looks like."

Rengoku beamed. It's so refreshing to see Muichirou voicing out his thoughts and slowly warming up to him. He had to thank Mitsuko for convincing Muichirou to come during his first time in the restaurant.

Rengoku answered, "I heard it's cold there. Maybe the winter is longer compared to ours. Mitsuko must've packed a lot of thick clothes and scarfs!"

Muichirou hummed. He did notice the variety of scarf Mitsuko has. He pointed it out once at her and she told him Giyuu kept buying her scarfs way more than necessary. Yet, she still likes them all.

"Why would Mitsuko be sent to Hokkaido in the first place? It seems important," Rengoku mused. He still smiled, yet there was a tinge of worry in it.

Muichirou continued to devour his favorite dish. He wished Mitsuko was here right now to answer them.

He wondered what Mitsuko did with the kitsune mask.