14 | Vow

"I RECEIVED ORDERS from Oyakata-sama. He said he wants you to come with me to check the rumors of a strong demon."

Mitsuko clung onto Michi. Her eyebrows were furrowed. She was sitting on the ground with her back leaning against a trunk. She had this bad feeling for the upcoming mission with Kanae and Shinobu. She didn't know why, but she was scared and nervous.

Michi purred, trying to break Mitsuko free from her deflagrating feelings. It was obvious to anyone she was having a colloquy with her feelings. Mitsuko was baffled and confused why she was feeling like this. She never did.

Michi hopped off from Mitsuko's grasp. Her gaze followed Michi's swaying tail until a pair of feet entered her view. She looked up and saw Muichurou looking down at her.

Suddenly, he asked, "What's wrong?"

"What do you mean? There's nothing wrong."

Muichirou pouted. He could see through her weak facade. He placed a hand on her head and ruffled her hair slightly. This caused a smile to emit from Mitsuko. Muichirou smiled as well.

He crouched down to match Mitsuko's height at the moment. His teal eyes were staring straight through her own crimson orbs. He asked, "Do you feel better now?"

Mitsuko giggled lightly. "A little bit."

A comfortable silence passed the next moments. Mitsuko was debating if she should tell Muichirou about this odd feeling. She was afraid it will worry Muichirou.

"Um, Muichirou."

Muichirou hummed.

"I won't be here for a few days. I don't know how long I will be gone," explained Mitsuko. Her eyes wandered down to her hands. She unconsciously played with her fingers.

Muichirou was aware of this kind of circumstances. He knew Mitsuko's work was putting her life on the line and any day she could die. She even warned him to not be close to her during the first part of their friendship.

Muichirou spoke, "Promise me you'll be back?"

Mitsuko smiled. "Yeah. I promise."

Muichirou raised his pinky. Mitsuko blinked as her mind bluffed. Her smile turned to a grin as she intertwined her pinky with his.

"I'll be waiting."

* * *

"Mitsuko-chan!" Kanae waved.

"Kanae-nee-san." The girl greeted. Her eyes glanced over to Shinobu. The younger Kochou was avoiding her gaze.

"Shinobu-san."

Shinobu nodded.

Kanae pointed at a town near their rendezvous. She clapped her hands and eagerly suggested, "Let's go shopping for souvenirs!"

"Is that really necessary?" grumbled Mitsuko. She was starting to be annoyed by the people around her being fond with shopping.

"Don't worry, Mitsuko-chan! We'll be investigating too," assured Kanae. Mitsuko simply responded with a nod, sparing a glance to a distracted Shinobu.

"Now, now! We might find something useful in the market. Let's not waste our time! Hurry!" Kanae left the two.

"Is Kanae-nee-san always like this?" inquired Mitsuko. Shinobu sighed. She honestly answered, "Yeah."

Looks like Shinobu-san is also not fond of Kanae's enthusiastic personality. 

Shinobu blurted, "I think we should be resting." She had a pout and scowl on her features, totally not amused nor eager with Kanae's antics.