27 | Bludgeoned

A GIRL WITH vermilion red eyes that haunted every demon with long ebony locks was well-known within the demons.

"A pathetic girl with a pair of two beaded hairpiece; I want her head."

Beside the fact that Kibutsuji Muzan wants his name to be unknown, he wants to see the body of Mitsuko with her severed right before him.

Mitsuko cannot wander alone. The fact that she exists is enough to put her life in danger.

Deep in the forest, a lone house was quiet with all of its inhabitants deathly and eternally asleep. Blood was pouring out of their twisted limbs and stained the tatami floor.

"Nen nen korori~ kon korori~"

The demon Enmu licked his mouth clean from the blood, savoring its sweet taste. The endearing scent of the warm liquid was flooding his nostrils. He turned to face a man, immobilized with trauma, and queried, "Have you seen a girl with two beaded hairpiece?"

Too traumatized with the scene, the man merely shook his head, hoping for Enmu to set him free.

"Too bad."

Outside the porch of a dojo, a girl was biting her nails, her white hair fell over her face. She repeated the words "I won't like that," like a broken record. The news of the lower two was slain was getting on her nerves.

The demon Mukago looked up at the cloudless sky. "I have to find that girl...!" She doesn't want to end up like that demon who was obsessed with teacups and tea party.

Slings of webs decorated the forest rather aesthetically as it reflected the light of the moon. Deeper into the forest, a family of demon spiders were residing in an abandoned house. A scream could be heard.

The demon Rui stood atop the roof of the house. He spoke, "Not even a whereabout. You're utterly useless."

"Please! Please I'll do anything but this! I'll be a better Nii-chan for you!"

Rui spat, "Didn't I tell you you're useless?" He left.

* * *

"What do you think of Tomioka-san?" Hitoshi asked, turning his head to see Murata's tense face. 

The two ran into each other at a village. It was very rare to see a fellow demon slayer, so they decided to hang out. Murata was very flustered, since Hitoshi was practically a superior in terms of their ranking.

Murata thought of Giyuu. He heard he has a sister too. "Tomioka? You mean Tomioka Giyuu?"

"Yeah." Hitoshi forgot Giyuu and Mitsuko are actually siblings. Even though they practically have the same surname, Hitoshi couldn't place the similarities in their appearance. He just settled with their matching raven-hair.

"He's quite aloof. Tomioka went through a lot to achieve where he is," stated Hitoshi with honesty. He added, "Meeting his sister... changed him quite a bit in a good way."

Hitoshi simply nodded in acknowledgement.

Murata spared a glance at Hitoshi. He hasn't heard anything about the Tomioka family being a lineage of swordsman yet there's two of them among the Pillars. Murata couldn't help but be in awe of the two. He never officially saw Mitsuko nor met her, but by the terms of how long she had been serving the Corps, she must be strong as well.

Murata was so tempted to degrade himself. He's half thankful for where he is now, surviving by luck. This Hitoshi guy, Murata thought he's a force to be reckoned with. The way his superior carries himself screamed respect and dominance. Murata was surprised he's not a Pillar.

Hitoshi stood. He smiled at Murata, "I'll be taking my leave. Thank you for your time."

Murata bowed in respect.

Hitoshi waved it away as he stepped into the cold night air. He should keep moving for his destination. It should be the town in the valley just behind the mountain he was eyeing.

He walked through the forest, seemingly harmless and very attractive with how defenseless he looked. As the saying goes:

"Don't judge a book by its cover," muttered Hitoshi. With one swift motion, his Nichirin Blade sliced through the demon's neck. The demon wasn't even given a moment to recover from how quick things had escalated.

A clank echoed along with the sound of the ashes disintegrating in the air.

Hitoshi clicked his tongue. He was starting to get irritated. Deep within, there's fear buried in his chest.

His time is up after all.

Once his sword is fully sheathed, he started walking again; the quick encounter with a stray demon didn't faze him at all.

By the bushes, a pot was placed.

His blood ran cold in his veins. He could feel his stance weakening.

Hitoshi stared hard at the pot. It didn't take long for him to step back.

A demon manifested itself from the pot, just like the djinn in the stories of old. Pale and ceramic-like skin; mouth replaced the eyes; character-encrypted pupils glaring down at him; infant-like arms growing out of his arm-less torso; The Upper Moon Five Demon Gyokko was looming over Hitoshi, sending waves and waves of fear and dread.

Hitoshi wanted to run, but he knew it would only be in vain. He was very well-informed of Gyokko's appearance before him.

He ran out of time.

"Do you have it?" Gyokko spat, voice dripping with venom and distaste.

"No."

Gyokko narrowed his eyes. Irritation was bubbling up inside him. He did expect this answer after all.

"You have so many chances yet you didn't take any one of them. I suppose this is to be expected. You're a disgusting human as well."

Hitoshi stopped the urge to roll his eyes. He explained, "She left and won't be back for quite some time. How do you expect me to kill her?"

Gyokko glared down at Hitoshi. "Watch your mouth, brat. Remember your purpose here."

Fish-like demons spawned around Hitoshi, cornering him like a prey.

Hitoshi spoke, "Give me time. I promise I'll bring Mitsuko's head or even her corpse to you."

His hands were shaking and his heart was pounding against his chest. It was deafening.

"A failure and a brat like you don't call the shots, Takehiko Hitoshi."