5 | Peculiar

"LOOK! THE SUNSET is so beautiful!" exclaimed Mitsuko, gawking at the setting sun. The once azure sky was now flooded with bright and glowing orange hues as it mixed with the slightest hue of blue like a painter's canvas with soft mixture of colors. The Sun itself was mesmerizing. Mitsuko was glad she was able to see such view with unlimited opportunities. She mentally noted to at least take the whole family in this part of the mountain so they can watch the Sun set on the horizon.

"Hey, you! Get down here!"

Mitsuko's crimson orbs were averted from the orange Sun to an old man who was shouting at her. After one last look at the view, she eagerly complied to the old man's demands of her descending the tree she climbed earlier. Her leather covered feet landed on the green grass, producing a crunching sound upon its impact. She looked up at the man and took in his features.

His face was decorated with wrinkles. So, the four-year old girl assumed he was a senior citizen. His eyes were slick and sharp like a hawk watching from the sky as it glided. It reminded her of the characters in the picture books her mother often read to her. His clothes told her he was a hunter. The weapon behind his back gave it also away.

Mitsuko inquired, "What do you need, mister?"

"Kids shouldn't be out in their houses at night. There are demons that eat humans," the man explained. He took out his hand and lent it to Mitsuko to take. Mitsuko hesitated for awhile—her instincts sometimes tell not to trust strangers. The old man noticed this and assured her, "You're with the Tomiokas right? I'll bring you back home. We must move before the Sun sets."

With that, Mitsuko was brought back to her house.

She listened to the conversation her parents were having with the old man by the door. Her eyes noticed Giyuu's disapproving look etched in his visage. Tsutako was looking over her with a small smile, encouraging her now and then to eat.

She can't help but wonder and ponder over what the old man said to her earlier. What does he mean by demons?

~~~~~

Mitsuko had been slaying demons non-stop for the last month. She had been climbing up the ranks pretty fast, no one can keep up. She had been training relentlessly by herself in the vicinity of Gyomei's estate. Sometimes, she would spar with Gyomei and reduced the forest to ruins.

Mitsuko often question herself why she is a genius with the sword. The fact she is an adopted daughter would hit her. Mitsuko might never discover how and where she was found. All that she knows is she is an illegitimate child of the Tomiokas. But, despite the non-existing biological relation, she appreciated the efforts of her foster parents raising her like one of their own. She was glad she had Tsutako to guide her most of the time with the time they had. She was overly happy she resolved the problem she had with Giyuu before they got separated.

Mitsuko still holds on the tiny chance of Giyuu surviving that attack by Muzan Kibutsuji.

"CAW! CAW! CLIMB DOWN THE MOUNTAIN! CLIMB DOWN THE MOUTAIN! CAW CAW!"

Mitsuko removed herself from her spot on the engawa of Gyomei's estate. She tightened the scabbard's attachment to her belt as her feet padded on the wooden floor.

"You're going on a mission?"

Mitsuko stopped from her tracks and looked back to see Gyomei. She put on a smile and assured, "I'll be back."