22 | Freighted

PILLAR LIFE WAS starting to become a little boring for the young Artemis Pillar. Train, patrol, rest, and repeat. The routine was gradually becoming empty. The training part of her daily life managed to keep her a little amused. She was working on improving her hand-to-hand combat. She couldn't get the voice of the scolding man out of her head.

She needed to be strong. Stronger than anyone else.

But, why?

"Ah—!" Mitsuko barely blocked the Wind Pillar's attack with her blade.

"You were so persistent on sparring with me yet you can't even stand your ground! How did you become a Pillar, huh? Just because you were able to kill a Lower Moon singlehandedly? PATHETIC!"

Sanemi's words strucked a nerve. She doesn't want to recall the fact she almost killed someone.

"Guh!" Sanemi was forced to face the sky as he just received a kick on his chin.

He heard the words, "I'm sorry." It made him irked more.

"SHUT UP!"

Mitsuko tumbled away from Sanemi. She dug her katana (Sanemi and Mitsuko agreed to use their own Nichirin Blades) and used it propelled herself to the man.

What?! She just abandoned her weapon?! Sanemi blocked her kick attack. Mitsuko sprung away from him, landing just beside her stucked blade.

I've improved. Mitsuko retrieved her weapon. But, a little sloppy.

"Oi, oi, oi. Why would you forget about your sword?"

"It's called fighting style, Shinazugawa-san."

* * *

"Shinazugawa-san," the voice of Shinobu resonated throughout the room.

"Tch."

"What kind of mess did you drag Mitsuko-chan in? She never received such injuries when training. Did you two go overboard?" Her voice was stern.

Sanemi ran a hand through his white locks, huffing out a breath of frustration. He mumbled, "That kid scared the hell out of me."

Shinobu barely stopped herself from laughing.

"WHAT?!" Sanemi sighed. "That girl was much more different than the last time I saw her."

"Every day, Mitsuko is striving to be a strong and capable person. I'm sure she isn't used enough to have people in front of her dying when she knows she can save them." Shinobu thought of Kanae. "You haven't answered my question."

Sanemi clicked his tongue, "She almost begged to spar with me. In the middle of our sparring, she suddenly had a headache then collapsed."

A thoughful hum was heard from Shinobu. "Her headaches are back..." muttered she, mostly to herself.

Sanemi stomped away from Shinobu. "I don't want to babysit a kid who can't even keep herself healthy. That girl should've left and live or something."

"We can't really blame her for her choices now, can we? Mitsuko-chan has come so far from holding a sword."

"Tch." Sanemi left the Butterfly Estate.

Shinobu crossed her arms across her chest; a huff slipping past. "He'll just remove the gauzes later."

She shook her head. She never expected Sanemi to suddenly bring in an equally-wounded Mitsuko to her estate. She even had to guess multiple events that happen to get them into this state, only for its cause is some sparring. Just how Mitsuko was able to make the Sanemi agree to spar? It was a rare sight.