29 | Hushed

Pic above made by my bestfriend 😍
Thank you very, very much!

I finished writing this while online classes are still going XD.
Don't copy me :')

~~~~~

MITSUKO AND SHINOBU sauntered along the hallway of the Butterfly Estate. Mitsuko just arrived at the Estate after receiving the brief summary of the semi-annual meeting of the pillars.

"I couldn't make it because of the train," explained Mitsuko. Shinobu hummed in acknowledgement and understanding. Mitsuko had been busy in Rikubetsu. It's a good thing that she even paid a visit. It's been so long since Shinobu last saw Mitsuko. She couldn't believe one of the many things that changed.

"I didn't expect Mitsuko-chan to cut her hair!" Shinobu gushed, "You're even more cute."

Mitsuko smiled. A finger twirling her short hair, "It's hindering my sight, even if I tried to tie it."

Shinobu had her eyes on the beaded clip on each side of Mitsuko's hair. She still wears it. It must've been important to her.

"Ubayashiki-sama mentioned something about a Demon Slayer named Kamado Tanjirou?"

Shinobu perked up at the change of topic. She giggled, "You should've seen that boy headbutt Shinazugawa-san."

Mitsuko was amused. He had the courage to headbutt Shinazugawa. "I'm sure that was a sight."

They arrived at the doorstep of Hitoshi's room. Mitsuko took a moment to prepare herself. She was sure that Hitoshi was quite a formidable opponent, yet he was taken down to the brink of death. What kind of demon he faced? Did he freak out again and lost his composure? It seemed impossible, but the probabilities were not limited.

Mitsuko opened the door, revealed a comatosed Hitoshi. A bag of nutrients was keeping his fluids normal. His chest rising and falling evenly. Mitsuko was relieved that he doesn't seemed to be in the most critical condition. It was better than the image in her head before stepping in.

"What happened?"

"According to the Kakushi, he was found in the forest nearby the town he was assigned to," Shinobu paused, unsure if Mitsuko should know Hitoshi's current condition, "There's a poison in his body that keeps him from waking."

Mitsuko pursed her lips. If Shinobu couldn't do anything, then he's in a worse state than what she had imagined. She underestimated the situation.

"What kind of poison is it?" asked she, turning to Shinobu.

"I can't really tell. One thing I'm sure of, is it's eating away his cells at a turtle-like speed. I don't know its other effects beside being unconscious."

A demon that can use poison. That must be the kind of the demon Hitoshi faced. Anyone would be in shock if they encountered a demon that can use poison. If the demon can hold its own ground well, it would be hard to kill it without any wounds.

The question here: why would they leave Hitoshi alive? Why did they let him survive the predicament? It makes no sense. Any demon would kill a demon slayer in an instant for food and self-defense. If Mitsuko was a demon herself, she would make sure her opponent was dead before leaving.

It doesn't make sense at all.

But, why a demon that poisons seemed familiar to her? She wasn't all that surprised there was a demon like that. She did recall that one Lower Moon she slain. She wasn't shocked at all back then, but that was a different demon.