17 | Soothe

MITSUKO STOOD IN  front of Shinobu, not meeting her gaze. She failed her duty as a Pillar. She was supposed to at least prolong the battle until the sun rises. There's no need to slay the Upper Moon Two. She just needed for the two of them to survive.

Mitsuko apologized, "I'm very sorry, Shinobu-san. I'm really sorry."

She was waiting for Shinobu's outburst. She thinks she is mentally ready for whatever blaming words Shinobu will spat towards her. 

She was anticipating. Instead, she received a hug. 

"It can't be helped, Mitsuko-san."

Before Mitsuko could return the gesture, Shinobu had already pulled away from her. Shinobu patted her shoulders before leaving her behind.

"I'm really sorry." If only I was strong enough to take on that Upper Moon Demon.

"Mitsuko-san."

The girl faced Shinobu. The successor of the Butterfly Estate bestowed her a small smile. There was a meaning behind that smile. Mitsuko couldn't quite place what it was.

"Thank Takehiko-san when you see him."

"Eh?"

* * *

"No..."

At the sight of a bloodied path entering the small house, Mitsuko bolted. Her heart was thumping loudly in her chest—purely out of fear. She wasn't ready discovering what possible events had transpired in her absence.

She should've get a Kinoe Demon Slayer take over her territory. Who knows how long she had been in a coma. She's still recovering from her wounds. The littered bandages in her body proved her argument.

Mitsuko tripped over something. She had no time to heed any attention to whatever she just tripped on. She just needed to look if Muichirou and Yuichirou are still there. She rose from the ground and approached the worn-out house.

"M-Michi..." Her instantly covered her mouth. The sight of the kitten both Muichirou and her look after was on the floor, bathing in its own dried blood.

She was sure this happened while she was still in the coma. The dried blood and faint hint of dust gave it away. The bodies of the two were not present. Mitsuko hoped they are alright.

Mitsuko slowly approached Michi; tears stinging her eyes and throat closing up. Gently and carefully, she lifted Michi and exited the remains of the Tokitou household. She held Michi like it was the most fragile thing on earth. Michi's corpse was almost unrecognizable. She merely bit her lip to prevent any unwilling push of her tears.

"Thank you, Michi." It must've been painful.

If only Mitsuko was smart enough to let someone take over her area temporarily, then whatever attacked the Tokitou twins would be killed. If it was a demon, then she herself will sever its neck from its body.

"I'm so incompetent!" yelled Mitsuko, kicking the ground. Her mind was filled with if only's.

"CAW! CAW! YOU'RE BEING SUMMONED IN THE UBAYASHIKI ESTATE! CAW! CAW!"

Her eyes fixed on Taki. With one last glance on Michi's grave, she left.

Forever.

* * *

"Am I a celebrity in the Demon world or something?" Mitsuko has blurted absentmindedly.

Kagaya's smile brighten. "Considering the numerous demons knowing of your existence, I suppose it is safe to assume."