3 | Ratify

"I JUST REALLY hate her," mumbled Giyuu, throwing a flat pebble onto the lake. The grey pebble bounced off the surface of the water for a few times, leaving ripples, before sinking.

"She always gives off a weird vibe. I don't like it," added Giyuu, throwing another pebble. Ever since he saw Mitsuko in a bundle in his father's arms that cold night, there's this feeling that crept up in his spine. Even being in the same roof as her made him sick and puke.

"She steals everyone's attention," continued the raven-haired boy, throwing another pebble again. Every time Mitsuko entered the room, all the attention and gazes swapped towards her. Everyone wore a smile around her as she chatted with the adults. Even his sister, Tsutako, would choose Mitsuko over him. She'll always say things like, "I'll play with you later, Giyuu," and, "Please understand." There was this one time where his sister introduced her significant other to the family and immediately that person's attention was on Mitsuko for the whole time. There wasn't almost a single moment he was noticed. 

It was always Mitsuko first.

"Just what is so good about her?!" shouted Giyuu, launching the pebble as far as he could. The pebble never bounced. Instead, it crashed and sunk in the water. Mitsuko was only an ordinary girl. What did she has that Giyuu hasn't? After all, Mitsuko was only his adoptive little sister and yet she was treated like a princess. Everyone was cheerful in her presence, while he was sitting at the side, watching the people around his adoptive little smile and laugh.

"Damn it!"

"Watch your language, Giyuu." Giyuu flinched and snapped his head to the side to see his sister standing a sole meter away from him. He averted his gaze from his sister and clenched his fist, pushing all his anger to his clenching fist.

Tsutako approached her little brother. The grass crunched beneath her steps towards Giyuu. She gently held Giyuu's shaking clenched fist. Giyuu gradually softened up in his sister's presence. 

Then, he asked:

"Why is it always Mitsuko?"

~~~~~

"AAAAHHHHHH!"

Her ears perks up at the sound of a scream. She runs faster. Arriving at the scene on time, she halts, avoiding a demon to notice her presence. The girl breathes in, pushing all the force on her feet and springing from her spot on the soil. Unsheathing her katana, she neatly severs the demon's head from its body. All of it taking place in a single second. Her feet land on the ground, gaze casted downwards.

"What just... happened?" asked the boy who was screaming for his life moments prior. He shifts his focus from the demon to standing Mitsuko, sheathing her weapon back in its scabbard. That girl! She was able to kill the demon in just a blink of an eye!

The boy flinches when her red eyes looked over to him. She takes a deep breath, approaches the stunned boy, and asks, "Are you okay?"

Reluctantly, the boy nods. With an acknowledging nod, the raven-haired girl replies, "Good."

With that, she disappears from his sight, surprising the participant once again. "What the..."

* * *