28 | Headway

THE COLD WINTER air was making Mitsuko's mouth and throat dry as a dessert, yet she paid no mind. She almost died inhaling the coldness, so this was nothing to her. Her oversized haori was offering the subtle comfort of warmth.

Mitsuko pulled up her knitted maroon scarf. The small change brought significant change into the air she breathed.

I wanna go back. Mitsuko thought. It was starting to get dark. Even though she had woken up from her nap, she wanted to sleep again. The cold atmosphere was definitely urging her to just sleep through her duties.

Mitsuko chuckled. As if she would do that. Even the day can bring danger to Rikubetsu. The sun was hiding behind the snow-shedding clouds. Its rays can't reach the demon-filled lands. It made Mitsuko worked double.

Rikubetsu was a cold town, but she had yet to finish her investigation with the Fujisaki family.

She definitely had a progress in her past.

It wasn't just "Tsukiko" anymore.

The person's name is Fujisaki Tsukiko.

Mitsuko heard the crunch of a foot on the snow. Her attention trained on the direction. She heard a scream.

Her body was light as it dashed through the air. She sprung from the ground and unsheathed her Nichirin Blade. In a blink of an eye, a demon was sent to hell.

Mitsuko stood in front of a fallen girl—a few years younger than her. She returned her katana back to its scabbard and held out her hand for the girl to take. She scanned the child: her face was stained with scratches, and a bruise was forming on her left cheek.

Mitsuko asked, "What are you doing out here?" They were in the middle of the forest.

"What are you doing out here?"

Mitsuko sharply inhaled. Her head started to pound again.

Mitsuko's smile was strained as she still waited for the girl to take her hand.

"I-I was playing." The girl took Mitsuko's hand.

"Let's go back."

Mitsuko still has a lot more to do after this. She'll scout again and investigate. There's no time for rest. She still needs to know more about Fujisaki Tsukiko.

Fujisaki Tsukiko is the key to her blank memories.

The wails of Taki made Mitsuko looked up. She noticed the letter on its leg. She thought it was Giyuu, but the content of the letter made her heart stop.

"Hitoshi was...!?"

* * *

Shinobu tapped her pen against her clipboard, her head propped up by her unoccupied arm.

Her eyes trained hard on the name: Takehiko Hitoshi. Below were the notes she listed when checking Hitoshi.

It had been a week since he was brought here, barely clinging to life. The horror looks of a kakushi and Murata's face flashed in her mind. She did try to get a brief narrative of what happened to Hitoshi, but she was only given such vague testimonies. It didn't prove to be useful at all.

According to them, Hitoshi's crow reached for help and they found Hitoshi on death's door.

Shinobu sighed. There's no point in dwelling on it. She could always ask Hitoshi what happened when he regained consciousness.

That's another problem for Shinobu.

She had been counting the days that passed by. If Hitoshi doesn't wake up sometime next week, he'll be lurking around the border between life and death.

Her eyes flickered over the vial of blood. An unknown substance—poison as Shinobu would call—was present. It seemed to be affecting Hitoshi's recovery. Removing the poison would be critical for the patient as it had already circulated throughout his bloodstream.

Shinobu lowered her pen. She read the name: Takehiko Hitoshi. It sounded familiar. She was sure she heard it from someone before.

"Ah—" Shinobu snapped her fingers, "—Mitsuko-chan's friend."

Shinobu decided to take a break. As soon as she stepped out of her office, she was greeted by her crow, "SUMMON IN THE UBAYASHIKI ESTATE! THE MASTER IS REQUESTING FOR YOUR PRESENCE! CAW!"

* * *

Giyuu isn't one for socializing. He had grown used to that. Even as a child, he never really mingled with others until it was necessary. It was always him and Tsutako, it wasn't long until Mitsuko added to that list.

He would be lying if he said he wasn't lonely. He thought he would manage and adapt for a few days after his sister was gone. It's been a year since they last saw each other and Giyuu couldn't help but steal glances at Mitsuko's room in hope to find her sleeping or purposefully wander to the garden to see if Mitsuko napping like usual. 

He was starting to get worried.

Occasionally, Giyuu would receive letters from Mitsuko. She never failed to take note of how winter was longer in Rikubetsu, in Hokkaido in general.

Giyuu-nii-san,

It's cold as usual in Rikubetsu. I'll be going back soon.

The scarfs are very useful! Thanks for buying them for me.

Mitsuko

It's short but sweet. Giyuu let a small smile lit up his features. He folded the letter and tucked it away to one of his drawers, where Mitsuko's other sent letters were stored.

"Yoo-hoo~" Shinobu called out, "Tomioka-san, we need to get going."

A sigh escaped from his lips. As much as he didn't want to spend time with Shinobu, the circumstances need it. He'll just have to wrap this problem quickly.

Shinobu grinned upon seeing Giyuu emerged from the estate. "You're very slow, Tomioka-san."

Giyuu ignored Shinobu.