1 | Aroused

"MITSUKO!"

THE GIRL rose from the ground as the tears stung her crimson eyes. Her jet black hair fell over her face. The pain in her knees was gradually increasing each passing second.

"Tsutako-nee-san," the girl sobbed, tears finally spilling on her cheeks as it cascaded down like a running river. An older girl—in her teens—crouched before the sniffing girl. Tsutako immediately noticed the wound forming on the girl's knees.

"Sorry, Nee-san," Mitsuko said in between her sobs. Her glazed eyes looked over the broken geta sandals on the ground. Tsutako's gaze shifted from her little sister's wound to the broken geta sandals she gave to the said child months before.

Tsutako gave a warm smile and cupped the girl's cheeks, wiping the tears escaping the red orbs. She said, "It's okay. I can always give you a new one."

Mitsuko looked away in guilt and shame. She rebutted, "But, it's nee-san's gift. Mother told me to always take care of the things given to me, but I can't."

Tsutako sighed. She ruffled the girl's hair and tried to cheer her again, "It's fine! There are things that don't last, Mitsuko. You're going to outgrow them someday too."

With a final sniffle, Mitsuko nodded and smiled the slightest curl of her lips. The small action caused Tsutako to avert her attention to the wound. "Can you walk?" she asked, in which Mitsuko nodded.

"Just be careful next time."

"Yes, Nee-san."

~~~~~

Mitsuko sat slouched, her eyes fixed only on her trembling hands. Her palms were filled with scars that she didn't know where it came from. They were soft as the snow before, but now... she's at a loss of words.

But, it does say something, right? She thought. Something might've happened during the blank in her memories. Her hands ball into fist as her face grimaced. She always admired her older sister's hands. Constantly soft even in the exposure of different activities. She wished that she could possess those kind of hands if she was to take care of them. But, no. That small dream was destroyed and thrown in the wind like most of her dreams were.

Mitsuko was so clueless of what happened and it obviously frustrated her to no end. What she had at the moment was a woman whose name is Ubuyashiki Amane with her two daughters accompanying her from time to time.

Later in the afternoon, she'll meet their father.

Mitsuko tried to pry the information of what happened to her, but the woman iwas oblivious as she was. She could do nothing but wait idly—and as patient as she can—for Amane-san's husband to fill her with the information she needed. But all that she was aware of was: she was taken in by the Ubayashiki family. The girl hadn't heard of the family before until now, but was sure they are living a humble, but flourishing lifestyle.

She studied her palms once more, raising them in front of her. Fortunate for her, the petite fingers of her hands were spared by the scars from whatever she got them. It didn't seem to look like scars from battle or anything related, but it was surely created with her awareness. It seemed only her palms were the ones that left a clue of what happened to her for the past five years—

"Giyuu-nii-san!"

She pursed her pale lips as her mind recalled the day she's taken from her family. Mitsuko wished Giyuu to be well at this point in her life. With his state when she last saw him, even knowing Giyuu is alive is already enough for her to satisfy her baffled mind. Her lower lip quivers as the reality of her only family gone—with no chance of taking them back—dawns upon her. Her heart clenched in pain, loss, and grief. Her left hand grips her chest in attempt to ease the pain. The world crumbles around her, knowing the people who used to be by her side are gone forever. Just... how can she live on without their guidance? How is she able to live those five years without their presence?